Submit your suggestions for Oriental Monsters supplement

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Re: Submit your suggestions for Oriental Monsters supplement

Postby kipper » Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:36 pm

I think I'll stop posting ALL of the monsters I convert here, instead I'll only post if I would like some input.

For example, I'd like to make the mechanics for pulling this monster free a bit more elegant, but I'm not sure how. I don't want it to be a simple STR comparison though, for example requiring a combined STR of 30 or whatever, I want the players to have to make some rolls to accomplish it, and I want it to depend on STR.

Ittan-momen

Armour Class: 7 + see below
Hit Dice: 2*
Move: Fly: 180' (60')
Attacks: Suffocate, See below
Damage: See below
No. Appearing: 1 (1-3)
Save As: Fighter: 2
Morale: 7 + see below
Treasure Type: Nil
Alignment: Chaotic

The ittan-momen appears as a bolt of cotton cloth fluttering in the breeze, about 1 foot wide and 35 feet long. On a successful attack roll, it has wrapped itself around the victims head and body, the victim will suffocate to death in 10 rounds unless the ittan-momen is removed. This may be accomplished by killing it (attacks automatically hit, but will do 1/2 damage to the monster and 1/2 damage to the victim), or by pulling it free. Pulling it free will require successful Open Doors rolls for 3 rounds in a row, these Open Doors rolls may be made against the creature instead of a normal attack roll. A maximum of two people may attempt to pull it free simultaneously. Note that the 3 rounds required must be in unbroken sequence, if all Open Doors rolls are failed on any given round, the creature retightens its grip and the pulling must begin anew. When wrapped around a victim, the ittan-momen's Morale becomes 12.
kipper

Postby kipper » Wed May 01, 2013 7:48 am

I'm still working on this project, up to 57 monsters now! :D I'm finishing up Japanese monsters (and even so I doubt if I've done even a third of all those that exist in Japanese folklore!), then I'll be looking at writing up some from other sources (especially Chinese), there should be 65-70+ by the time I'm done. Then there'll be the layout for the PDF, which will take a while too.
kipper

Postby kipper » Sun May 19, 2013 6:42 am

I have completed my "Oriental Monsters" supplement for B/X, now available as a *FREE* PDF.

It contains over 65 all-new monsters suitable for an Oriental campaign. Each of the monsters is based on real world legendary sources, so in some cases the name of a particular monster may be the same as that published in another game book, but the monsters detailed are novel interpretations written by myself. A few examples of the better known monsters included are: Dragon (Earth & Water varieties), Jiangshi, Kappa, Oni, Tengu, and Qilin ("Kirin").

Here is the link to the "Oriental Monsters" document *FREE* PDF: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?t49aq05ki7yyey9

And while you're at it, have you seen my recent "Oriental Classes" supplement, now newly revised? It contains existing old school oriental classes converted into a format fully compatible with B/X and LL. The following classes are included: Bushi, Hengeyokai, Kensei, Koropokguru, Nature folk, Ninja, Samurai, Shugenja, Sohei, Wu ren, and Yakuza. The new revision is mostly formatting/layout changes into a 2-column format, but also minor tweaks here and there.

Here is the link to the new "Oriental Classes" document *FREE* PDF: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?zo5zcot5hcyngig

(If anyone has any problems downloading these, let me know as I can try hosting it in other locations as well if necessary)
kipper

Previous

Return to Open Workshop