Magic and Magicians in Mutant Future

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Magic and Magicians in Mutant Future

Postby MythAdvocate » Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:38 pm

I have been pondering the use of magic in Mutant Future for some time, as I adore the mixing of magic and post-apocalypse immensely. Both in the zany, comic-book universe of 80's cartoons and in grim sword and sorcery setting set after a terrible collapse. WHile I really do enjoy the goofy-grim Thundarr setting, I want a darker feel to the magic in my own games, so I am posting some of my thoughts here as a sounding board.

So how might magic and magic-like elements be presented? Weird gadgets and artifacts are an easy route. These can easily be constructed via The Realms Of Crawling Chaos book, and can grant a player with enough otherworldly powers to make them the equivalent of magic-users. Other routes are pacts with alien beings, from small familiars, and symbiotes to the patronage of alien demon-gods.

Below is my take of a magic-wielding sorcerer, derived from The Savage Afterworld blog. My attempt here is that these guys are effectively a kind of mutant, but one more tuned in to other-planar energies (perhaps). They can be weird wizard-types, crazy mechanics, priests, or mad-scientists. It all works.

SORCERER
Hit Dice: 1d6 per point of CON
Mutations: none (replaced by magic, see below)
Maximum Level: 12
Sorcerers are the magic-wielders of the Atomic Dawn setting. They are able to draw upon mystical forces, bending, shaping, and warping them to their will. They are able to cast spells of an offensive, defensive, healing, and/or destructive nature. Sorcerers are powerful, yet sometimes feared by humans as the source of their powers is usually in question. How the sorcerer uses his or her powers makes a huge difference of course. Some embrace the wizard motif with robes and wild beards, while others are more like mad scientists or inventors. Many still mix these extremes in the pursuit of power.
Sorcerers appear to be Pure Strain Humans unless they have suffered additional mutations via radiation or magical mishaps. Due to their training and study of the magical arts, Sorcerers gain a +2 when rolling for Intelligence and Willpower. Sorcerers do not initially have any mutations, but can mutated as Mutant Humans when exposed to radiation. Unfortunately, some sorcerers will willingly expose themselves to radiation in the hopes of gaining additional powers, leading to warped flesh and minds.
Sorcerers have a fascination with Ancient culture as Sorcerers study the Ancients during their training in the mystical arts. The ML is encouraged to allow a Sorcerer PC to choose one facet of the Ancients that he has studied (technology, history, language, etc.).
Sorcerers are able to cast spells just as if they were of the same level of an Elf in Labyrinth Lord, casting Magic-User spells, but still able to wield any weapon and wear any armor. However a Sorcerer MUST have at least one free hand to cast spells. If a Sorcerer's hands and arms are bound or otherwise immobile, a spell cannot be cast. The magical powers of Sorcerers are a kind of mutation and therefore susceptible to anything that would remove or hamper mutations.
Reaching 9th Level: When a Sorcerer reaches the 9th level, he is able to create Artifacts of his or her own design, including Vehicles and Robots. Also, a sorcerer may build a stronghold, often a great tower, when he reaches level 11th level. He will then attract sorcerer apprentices (1d6).

Spell List: Sorcerers have access to the following spells.
1st Level- Bless/Curse, Charm Person, Detect Magic, Floating Disc, Hold Portal, Light, Magic Missile, Protection from Evil, Read Languages, Read Magic, Shield, Sleep, Ventriloquism. 2nd Level- Arcane Lock, Continual Light, Detect Evil, Detect Invisible, ESP, Invisibility, Knock, Levitate, Locate Object, Mirror Image, Phantasmal Force, Web.
3rd Level- Animal Growth, Clairvoyance, Dispel Magic, Fire Ball, Fly, Haste, Hold Person, Infravision, Invisibility 10' radius, Lightning Bolt, Protection from Evil 10' radius, Protection from Normal Missiles, Water Breathing.
4th Level- Arcane Eye, Charm Monster, Confusion, Dimension Door, Hallucinatory Terrain, Massmorph, Plant Growth, Polymorph Others, Polymorph Self, Remove Curse, Wall of Fire, Wall of Ice.
5th Level- Animate Dead, Cloudkill, Commune, Conjure Elemental, Contact Other Plane, Feeblemind, Hold Monster, Insect Plague, Magic Jar, Passwall, Telekinesis, Teleport, Transmute Rock to Mud, Wall of Stone.
6th Level- Animate Object, Anti-Magic Shell, Control Weather, Death Spell, Disintegrate, Geas, Invisible Stalker, Lower Water, Move Earth, Part Water, Project Image, Reincarnation, Stone to Flesh.
Last edited by MythAdvocate on Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MythAdvocate

Re: Magic and Magicians in Mutant Future

Postby gentleman john » Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:17 pm

This would come in handy if I ever run something based on the Hawkmoon stories. There are enough sorcerers in that setting that would fit to this character type.
gentleman john

Postby 1970 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 4:55 pm

How would you judge saving throws? Would you use Hit Dice or Level?

Postby gentleman john » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:02 pm

For PCs and levelled NPCs, always use level. If a saving throw is specified (it's one of the entries against each creature in the Monsters section), use that.

Saving throws against Hit Dice happens in Labyrinth Lord, but Hit Dice are not the same as level in Mutant Future.
gentleman john

Postby Wizardawn » Sat Nov 30, 2013 11:20 pm

I covered this subject HERE.
Wizardawn

Postby seneschal » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:41 am

Didn't the Thundarr campaign have rules for sorcerers?
seneschal

Postby MythAdvocate » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:34 am

Wizardawn wrote:I covered this subject HERE.

That article is BRILLIANT Wizardawn!

Can these wizards make magic items at 9th level as well?
MythAdvocate

Postby Wizardawn » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:05 pm

MythAdvocate wrote:
Wizardawn wrote:I covered this subject HERE.

That article is BRILLIANT Wizardawn!

Can these wizards make magic items at 9th level as well?

That is up to you...but I don't. I rather have tech appear to be magical when it comes to items.
Wizardawn

Postby MythAdvocate » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:28 pm

Wizardawn wrote:That is up to you...but I don't. I rather have tech appear to be magical when it comes to items.

Having wizards be able to create their own Artifacts would be cool. Robot minions (made to resemble monsters), mutation rays, light-sabers and even weirder things could easily be the work of wizards.
MythAdvocate

Return to Mutant Future