Redwall RPG??

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Re: Redwall RPG??

Postby seneschal » Mon May 09, 2011 8:58 pm

Faery's Tale is another kid-friendly RPG that would let you run small animals as PCs. However, like Bunnies and Burrows it takes a more naturalistic approach to its critters (well, as naturalistic as possible in a wood inhabited by fairies, goblins, and trolls).

I guess there's a continuum in these animal fantasies:

Watership Down treats its rabbits in a realistic manner; although they have a language and a rich culture, they are animals. They don't have technology, they can't talk to non-rabbits, they have limited reasoning ability.

Mouse Guard presents intelligent rodents who have developed a civilization and medieval-level technology. They can cooperate with other species, such as rabbits. But they're still tiny mice, vulnerable to being eaten by all the usual predators (hence the need for a Mouse Guard to protect travelers and couriers).

Redwall and Wind in the Willows feature more anthropomorphic critters (throw Secret of NIMH in here, too). They're still normal-sized animals who live apart from and fear Man. But they live pretty much like and think pretty much like humans, use paws freely as hands, make and use tools, etc. Different species interact with and form a society together, even ones that in a Watership Down universe would eat each other. Predator species tend to be the bad guys, which herbivore and omnivore animals tend to be the good guys. It could almost be standard fantasy, except everyone has fur and is smaller than human size.

Finally, you've got Duck Tales or all those Scrooge McDuck comics. Everyone is some sort of animal, but it doesn't seem to affect their behavior, abilities, attitudes, or relationships with one another at all. Species can be a shorthand for personality (fierce, predatory animals are either villains or stern military types). Characters tend to form romantic attachments only with those of the same species, but other than that their "animalness" doesn't make much difference.

Is it just me, or does Martin the Warrior's nose look awfully big in that dramatic painting? (Not that you'd say so to his face!)
seneschal

Postby monk » Tue May 10, 2011 1:54 am

I just bought Woodland Warriors on Lulu and really like it. It's nicely laid out and very easy to follow it, which is good because I'm introducing elementary school kids to it.
Thurwin the Bibliophile, 1st level Fighter (Stonehell)

http://wizardsmutantslaserpistols.blogspot.com/
monk

Postby elf23 » Tue May 10, 2011 7:07 am

Blood axe wrote:It will probably be a Redwall- Nimh type game. (anthromorphic) But I will certainly contact you if I get something off the ground.

Oh I just meant you should post a session report, I wasn't trying to muscle in on your game :D
elf23

Postby Blood axe » Mon May 16, 2011 9:28 pm

I bought Woodland warriors and tales from the Woods on LULU. Once one of my PBP games finishes, I might start a one-off game.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Blood axe » Mon May 16, 2011 11:17 pm

I want to check out the Wild West rules-" Go Fer Yer Gun!" next. ;) by the same author.
Blood axe

Postby 3llense'g » Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:45 pm

I don't know why, but this topic inspired me so much. I can't stop thinking about how cool tiny mouse, frog and bird PCs would be. :)
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Postby Blood axe » Wed Jun 01, 2011 7:25 pm

[url]Image[/url]
Blood axe

Postby Simon W » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:08 pm

I wrote WOODLAND WARRIORS to be pretty much the "Redwall" rpg, although there are inspirations from other sources too - like Mouseguard, Mistmantle, Nimh etc. There are now two supplements out for it too - a sandbox mini-campaigh called "Greyrock Isle", and "Out West" a wild west variant, with raccoon cardsharps, gopher marshals and coyote guslingers. More information can be found here:

http://beyondbeliefgames.webs.com/woodlandwarriors.htm
Simon W

Postby Simon W » Fri Aug 26, 2011 6:33 am

Now that Woodland Warriors Out West has been out a while, Woodland Warriors At Sea will be the next in the line. Most of the artwork is in, including this great map by Gill Pearce:

http://beyondbeliefgames.webs.com/Fairw ... CHMENT.jpg

In this setting, player characters are all "Sea Dogs", which means you get to play the bad guys (called Vermin, that is Rats, Stoats, Weasels and so on). It's kind of Redwall meets Pirates of the Carribean.

Website here for more info:

http://beyondbeliefgames.webs.com/
Simon W

Postby Blood axe » Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:38 am

Really old thread...but Ive been thinking of making some rules for this with basic LL rules.
Blood axe

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion