The Village of Hommlet

greyarea's P-B-P game

Moderator: greyarea

Re: The Village of Hommlet

Postby greyarea » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:12 pm

Rule #1: Don't split the party. (sigh)

Thurwin leaves to visit Calmert, Effric, Calthas, Rilo to see the druid. Ostler moves to stop him to get him to pay first, but realizes much of the party is staying behind. Besides, where else would they go?

----------

Thurwin gets directions and heads off to the Church of St Cuthbert. It is dark and Thurwin nearly turns his ankle in a rut in the road. Ostler was right about walking about at night. The Church is rather new, it seems, and Thurwin knocks on the huge oaken doors that serve as the entrance. Then he knocks some more. He waits. He hears something within and then the great door creaks open. A lone cleric opens the door, holding a candle. He asks, Is there some sort of spiritual emergency to come beating on my door at this hour?

++++++++

Effric, Calthas, Rilo make their way to the Grove, following the directions they received. The road is uncertain, especially after the moon dips behind some clouds for a bit.

This is obviously a place of worship. The trees are neatly pruned, and the grass is well tended. A carefully placed line of bluish stones, which glow slightly in the moonlight, sets off the path leading to a rock cairn where flowers, nuts, berries, and garlands of leaves are placed. A small path leads beyond the shrine to a low-roofed wooden building placed under the great boughs of the central oaks of the copse.

A large black bear moves about the perimeter before slinking into the shadows. A call and Jaroo come out, clearly perturbed. You know I prefer to see people in the early morning, not late at ni... oh, hallo. I don't think I've met you before. Can I help you?

==========

Tavin partys up and tries taking to some of the women in the Inn CHA check [1d20] = 20. A drink in the face tells him that he will be staying in the common room.

Grimulf and Cayden stay behind as well, chatting at the table. At one point, the two folks who came down visit the table, currently only occupied by Grimulf, Cayden, and Tavin.

The little one speaks up, Hey there, I heard you was asking about the moathouse. I'm Turuko and my friend here is Kobort. We've been hearing bad things about that place too, think there might be some treasure in it for us. But the two of us ain't enough to do more than explore, know what I mean? We can help you folks, if you want. You know, more power to defeat our enemies, and such.

Actions?

Hit points and marching order

Grimulf 11/11
--Rilo 9/9
Effric 8/8
--Calthas 8/8
Tavin 5/5
Cayden 6/6
--Thurwin 5/5
greyarea

Postby merias » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:39 pm

Effirc, Druid

greyarea wrote:Rule #1: Don't split the party. (sigh)

OOC: lol. I figured it would be safe enough in town... famous last words of the fallen adventurer :)

"Greetings, Jaroo. My apologies for the late hour. I am Effric, son of Tiron of the Grey Circle sect. This is Calthas and Rilo, also friends of the Earth. We come after a call to help your fine town of Hommlet, and have heard naught but rumour in the Inn. Your are held in some esteem and your name was mentioned as someone who would know more about the recent happenings here."

Effric continues "Oh, and we bring a donation..." Effric will then offer Jaroo a small pouch with 8gp inside.

OOC: Deducting 10gp for bribe and Inn expenses
merias

Postby badams30 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 5:59 pm

Thurwin - Mage

Thurwin nods politely and says "My apologies, I am seeking Calmert. I have heard he may have some knowledge of my brother's whereabouts, and some insight on what's been going on about town. I also wish to make a donation.

Thurwin suddenly feels very conspicuous calling on the church so late in the evening, but his curiosity about his brother's well-being is driving him.

IF Calmert will see him, Thurwin will donate 10 Gold (deducted) and will ask:
1. Have you any information on where my brother may have went, and when the last time you saw him was? (He'll fill him in on who his brother is)
2. Our band is here to help against the ill goings-on, answering the call that was put out. Can he shed any light on what's going on, and suggestions on where to start and what he suspects we might be facing
3. Lastly, he'll ask for Cuthbert's blessing on our efforts and search for my brother.
badams30

Postby Spanningtree » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:32 pm

Tavin - Monk

Drying his face off on his robe he will look at the new faces at the table with a smile: I'm Tavin and this is Grimulf and Cayden. Yes, we were chatting a bit about the about the moathouse... his usual idiot smile leaves his face and becomes a bit grim: What do you know about the place... any history?
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby greyarea » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:12 pm

Effric / Calthas / Rilo

Jaroo replies, Ahh, fellow believers in the Old Faith. Excellent. I am Jaroo Ashstaff and I thank you for your contribution. The monies go to the needy here in Hommlet. I am a member of the Gnarly Wood and can tell you a bit more than rumor.

Many years ago, Evil crept up to these parts via Dyvers in the west. At first it was only a few thieves and an odd group of band- its molesting the merchant caravans. Then came small bands of humanoids—kobolds or goblins—raiding the flocks and herds. Local militia could hold in check but not stop the spread of outlawry and evil. A collection of hovels and their slovenly inhabitants formed the nucleus for the troubles which were to increase. A wicked cleric established a small chapel at this point. This place is called Nulb and the thickets and marshes around Nulb became the lair and hiding place for bandits, brigands, and all sorts of evil men and monsters alike. The chapel grew into a stone temple as its faithful brought in their ill- gotten tithes. Good folk were robbed, pillaged, enslaved, and worse.

A grim and forbidding fortress surrounded the evil place, and swarms of creatures worshipped and worked their wickedness therein. The servants of the Temple of Elemental Evil made Hommlet and the lands for leagues around a mockery of freedom and beauty. But the leaders of this cancer were full of hubris and, in their overweaning pride, sought to overthrow the good realms to the north, who were coming to the rescue of the land being crushed under the tyranny wrought by the evil temple. A great battle was fought. So great was the slaughter, so complete the victory of good, that the walled stronghold of the Temple of Elemental Evil fell within a fortnight, despite the aid of a terrible demon.

Since then, I was sent here by the Gnarly Wood to serve the people of Hommlet but, more importantly, to ensure that the Temple of Elemental Evil is totally destroyed, and to help repress any rise of evil of that sort again.

Jaroo looks at you expectantly.

++++++++++++++

Thurwin

The cleric sighs and opens the door wider. Come in, traveler. I am Calmert and I thank you for your donation.

As to your brother, I recall seeing him here before. He was a good man and I wanted to help but, because he was a follower of Heironeous, my Canon Terjon refused to assist him. I like the new Canon, although he is gruffer than our old Canoness. Anyway, as to your brother, we gave him our blessing and sent him on his way. I do understand the schism between our faiths but do not understand why we are not more in communion, as we both serve the ways of Law and Goodness. No matter. Last I heard, he was considering going to the town of Nulb to try to rid that place of the vestiges of evil. I told him he was far to inexperienced for that especially on his own. I told him to help instead here to build up our village and work with Burne and Rufus on their castle construction, but he was having none of it.

When it comes to the "ill goings-on", I am afraid that perhaps the old Evil of the Temple may be returning. There have been stories of banditry and thieves on the roads and such. I personally believe that there is something going on in the old moathouse a few miles from town but have no proof of it. The people you might want to talk to more are the town Elder and Burne and Rufus, who were once adventurers like yourself. I'd say talk to the Canon but he's so new, he might know even less than I do. I wish the old Canoness Y'dey was still around: she could tell you more. You can see them all tomorrow night at the new village hall. The first ever meeting in the new building will take place then.

With that, he gives you his blessing and reminds you to return on the sabbath for services.

==================

Grimulf / Cayden / Tavin

Turuko gives an evil grin: I hear it was once the outpost of the Temple of Elemental Evil, its watchtower and an advance base for raids, looting, and destruction. I hear they might have used it to process captured slaves. I bet there's a boatload of gold and other things in there ripe for the taking.

Actions?

Hit points and marching order

Grimulf 11/11
--Rilo 9/9
Effric 8/8
--Calthas 8/8
Tavin 5/5
Cayden 6/6
--Thurwin 5/5
greyarea

Postby Gelatinous Q » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:31 pm

Grimulf, fighter

"I doubt it's just lying there for the taking," he says to Turuko. "Any ideas who or what might be holed up there?"
Gelatinous Q

Postby badams30 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:31 pm

Thurwin - Mage

Thurwin listens intently as Calmert talks. He shakes his head grimly at the thought of his brother going to Nulb, as it sounds exactly like something he would do. He does say "Where is the Canoness?" He also asks for the directions (landmarks, etc) to get to the moathouse. Lastly he says "Thank you for your help. I will encourage my friends to attend the meeting tomorrow, and we'll do something about this, I assure you." He shakes his fist "We'll stomp out this latest bit of banditry and evil... just wait."
He nods and says "Thank you for your blessing. I have been a follower of St Cuthbert for some time, and it's good to see this place here. I will definitely return when we are back in town." He starts to turn and says "Oh, sorry for the lateness. I have been worried of my brother, so I sometimes act before thinking. I appreciate your time. Good evening to you."

He'll carefully walk back to the inn to rejoin the others.
badams30

Postby fumanstu » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:20 pm

Rilo listens carefully to Jaroo and then says, "A very noble cause and one that I'd be happy to aid. It seems that some of the villagers are concerned that all isn't right recently, are you feeling the same?"
fumanstu

Postby kjc » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:54 am

Caydon - Rogue
As Grimulf quizzes Turuko and Kobort, Caydon leans back and nurses his ale while studying the pair. He is trying to get a "read" on them (and listening for any use of Thieves Cant -intentional or not).
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby kwll » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:09 pm

Calthas listens patiently to Jaroo's speech, but feels as if it did not go to the end. "... And have you noticed any rise of evil of that sort recently in the neighborhood?" he asks inquisitively.
Tasrem End lvl 8 Magic User HP 15/15 XP 200001/310001
Meringered lvl 4 Cleric HP 14/14 XP 12246/12501
Calthas lvl 2 Elven Archer HP 18/18 XP 119/190
kwll

PreviousNext

Return to Enter the World of Greyhawk