8. The Ruins of Xitaqa

Moderator: tumblingdice

Re: 8. The Ruins of Xitaqa

Postby tumblingdice » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:53 pm

Pyotr shakes Tethir's hand. "Well met," he says politely but somewhat puzzled at the elf's presence.

Within a few minutes you're all assembled in the great hall of Sukiskyn, standing before the tapestry. Stephan is staring at it as if seeing it for the first time.

For those of you who weren't here the first, or second time the party examined the tapestry, here's a recap. Much of it was figured out by Kipper's first character in this adventure: the late great Renardius Pentacrucius, who was later killed by a dire wolf in the Stone Wood.

kipper wrote:Renardius (Cleric)

Renardius partakes sparingly of the feast. Not due to lack of hunger, but rather due to the Traladarian fare at hand.

badams30 wrote:Athelstan - Fighter
"Very interesting. Almost looks like a representation of a map of someplace with lots of rivers..."

"I think you're on to something there," he says to Athelstan. He spends his time studying the tapestry, and comparing it to Taras' map, looking for similarities. "These inverted triangles at the top are certainly mountains, the circles down near the bottom seem to represent forests. The spots over the river near the upper-left is likely a ford, or possibly a bridge. The pointy structure near the bottom seems to be a tower or castle. The red building inside the orange semicircle in the upper-left is likely a city, between two rivers. The blue and red pyramid-type structures I have not yet worked out, perhaps smaller settlements?..."

kipper wrote:Renardius (Cleric)

(After further study)

"The rivers outlined in red dots seem to match well with Soldath's map ((OOC: first map in 'Maps and Handouts' thread)), everything not so outlined is likely just for symmetry and are to be ignored."

"Which would mean the red city in the upper-left is Threshold... The pointy structure at the bottom could be Suskiskyn, assuming the tapestry was made here that would make sense. The red pyramid though, I cannot find an analogue on any other map." ((OOC: Or at least, Renardius' player cannot :D))

kipper wrote:
badams30 wrote:Athelstan - FIghter"What are the three locations on this map? What about that place in the upper left corner? Do you suppose this might tell us how to find these ruins? I'm not a thinking man, I'm a killing man. But I'm thinking that this tapestry has got to be useful for something, or the bad guys wouldn't want it, eh?"

What we know so far: We figured out that only the areas outlined in red/gold are real, the other features are just for symmetry. The rivers on the tapestry match those on the first (overland) map in the map thread. The primary "unknown" feature is the red pyramid, which is (apparently) somewhere in the moors north of Sukiskyn.

It could be Xitaqa ????
Also, as to why they are interested in the tapestry... ???? Perhaps they are looking for the red pyramid (if it's not Xitaqa) or it's some sort of holy site and they don't want others to know about it.
There is also the question of how they found out about the tapestry, and who made the tapestry in the first place.

Pyotr's wife Darya and mother Kuzma shuffle into the room, with Stellios the servant close behind. "What's all this about, Darya asks?"

"Watch!" Stephan says. "Who has the needle?"

Actions?
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby kjc » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:17 pm

badams30 wrote:[b]Athelstan:Come, let's see what our colleagues have uncovered, and where our next opportunity to kill bad things resides at."

Jörg - Fighter
Looking around at those gathered near the tapestry, Jörg with axe ready, whispers to Athelstan, "Is this the killing opportunity?"
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby greyarea » Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:21 pm

Tret steps forward to Stephen. Here is the needle and thread, he says and produces the box with those contents.
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:24 am

Athelstan - Fighter

Athelstan chuckles at Jorg's question and he smiles, whispering "Not yet, my large friend. Not yet. But watch - I think this will lead us to a place where the fields will run red with the blood of our foes. I'm certain of it."
badams30

Postby tumblingdice » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:47 pm

Stephan's eyes light up at the sight of the needle and thread. Taking the needle delicately in hand, he touches the side of the tapestry. It sparkles brightly and its golden thread shimmers. Moving of its own volition, the needle magically weaves through the golden tapestry, subtly changing the areas it passes through. Soon the geometric patterns are gone, replaced by a beautifully executed map depicting a coastline, rivers, and a pulsating golden area nestled in a mountain range.

OC: There's no picture of the tapestry after the needle has worked its magic. Suffice to say, Kipper got it exactly right. Everything bordered in tiny circles represents real geographic features. The rest is just for symmetry. The pulsating golden area is in the upper left corner. The red ziggurat appears to be where Xitiqa would lie on a map of the grand duchy. The tapestry is quite old, and many of the modern settlements established by the duke (Kelven, Threshold, etc.) do not appear on the map.

Actions?
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby kipper » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:26 pm

Old Anja (Shaman)

Anja silently looks at the tapestry with what she hopes is a thoroughly studious expression. In truth, she has no idea what she's looking at or what it means.
kipper

Postby greyarea » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:56 pm

Tret rubs his chin. If that pulsating upper area is gold for a reason, then I'd say it should be our next destination. I would have preferred to get some of our more, ahem, changeling(?) brethren restored to manhood, but we seem to be living and succeeding with them as is. We've been big on adventuring but light on loot, so I say we go where the gold is. Soldath won't let me loot allies... he concludes with a grin.
greyarea

Postby tumblingdice » Sun Jun 14, 2015 4:48 pm

Light on loot? You found over 11,000 gp in Golthar's chambers alone. I suppose it would help if I updated the monster and treasure log. And award some XP as well.

Stephan looks at the glowing village on the tapestry. "That must be somewhere in mountains north of Threshold. A wild, dangerous place, I hear." He casts a dubious glance at Tret, and then at Jorg.
tumblingdice

Postby kwll » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:23 pm

Meringered's eyes start to glitter when he hears the mention of gold. "When do we leave?" he asks hastily.
Tasrem End lvl 8 Magic User HP 15/15 XP 200001/310001
Meringered lvl 4 Cleric HP 14/14 XP 12246/12501
Calthas lvl 2 Elven Archer HP 18/18 XP 119/190
kwll

Postby Spanningtree » Mon Jun 15, 2015 5:37 pm

Soldath - Mage

Rolling his eyes: Again into the fire.

OCC: XP would be nice! :)
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

PreviousNext