New Beginnings

badams30 LL game..no fancy AEC stuff!

Moderator: badams30

New Beginnings

Postby badams30 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:51 am

Welcome to New Gornia
Location: the sprawling municipal docks of the fortress city of Rynd Hold, the largest city on the continent

It's been a long 3 weeks. You've been cooped up on an 80 foot merchant ship tossed about a restless sea. Your ship, along with a small flotilla of 15 other ships from Gornia, has braved storms and fickle winds but has been lucky - no lives lost and no misfortune at sea. Clearly a positive omen from the gods.

You awaken to the sounds of activity above decks, and you realize that you are moored to a dock. Excited by the prospect of solid ground for the first time in weeks, you quickly tidy up and gather your meager possessions, anxious to disembark and see what this new place is about. Emerging above deck, you see that it is a heavily overcast morning, and the area appears shrouded in a heavy blanket of fog. The crew is actively engaged in unloading cargo and takes little notice of passengers. A glance about reveals that you are tied up to a long dock extending into a protected harbor. The dock has several smaller piers extending from it, and there are probably over 100 ships of all sizes tied up here, and there is no shortage of activity - ashore and on vessels.

As you take in your surroundings, you hear a voice from the pier. "Hello there? Hello? Which of you passengers are guests of his majesty?" As the assemblage of people on deck cast glances at each other, the voice says in a patient tone "Adventurers. Those of you seeking a commission from the King? Please come forward, thank you."

Most of the passengers shrug and continue preparations to leave the ship and venture ashore, but seven hearty souls glance at each other, with nervous smiles and stony glances of determination. Being aboard the same vessel for three weeks, you've had time to get to know each other somewhat, and you all walk down the rickety gangplank toward the sound of the voice. Standing on the dock is a frail looking young man, about 30 years old, probably weighing about 100 pounds, he has a stooped back, and props himself up with a weathered crutch. He stands as straight as he can muster, and he reads a list of names - all of your names. You respond in the affirmative, and he smiles weakly and says "Welcome to New Gornia, and Rynd Hold. I am Steven, adjunct clerk to the Duke. You are here to collect your charter and set out for the glory of the Kingdom. I'm here to help you." He pauses and says "Being that it's the weekend, you won't be able to register for a couple days. In the meantime, we have arranged some lodgings for you in the seafarers quarter at the Snug Harbor. You'll find it to be safe, relatively quiet and secure. I'll return for you in two days to accompany you to register and get on with it." He glances across the seven of you and says "If you head off the docks, keep straight for about a quarter mile, you'll see the Snug Harbor on the left. They are expecting you. Enjoy your stay." With that, he turns on his crutch and shuffles away.

You all stand on the dock, turning, you take in the view: ahead of you, looming out of the fog is the imposing grey walls of the huge fortress city of Rynd Hold. A large gate stands at the end of the dock, beckoning you into the city.

You stand rested and ready to ply your trades and seek fame and fortune. You are:
Imric - a confident elf
Scrags Hagglebeard - a young but stalwart dwarf
Rill - a cheeful halfling with a confidence ten times his size
Heston Cargile - a powerfully strong yet slow warrior
Grun Wasserman - a steadfast man at arms
Kob - a hulking yet simple warrior
and Birger Torvaldson - a novice priest of Heimdall with a friendly and inspiring demeanor

You absorb the surroundings, and with a quick glance back at the boat, you all start to walk toward the beckoning gate - anxious to see what awaits you.

You have about a 200 foot walk till you reach the gates, at this time your benefactor Steven is speaking with two cautious looking city guards and motioning toward you all before he nods and disappears through the gate. The guards stand ahead of you, apparently awaiting your entry.

Actions?
badams30

Re: New Beginnings

Postby Spanningtree » Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:42 am

Grun - Fighter

C'mon gents let's get something decent to eat. Grun will start making his way toward the gate.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby merias » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:34 pm

Scrags, Dwarf

Scrags nods at Grun's suggestion. He breathes deep, holding his stomach and stomping his feet in turn on the dock.

"Ah, me stomach is returning to normal. Nothing good ta' say about boats, I'd like we put that voyage behind us. Quite a sight, eh? Let's go, gents," Scrags says.
merias

Postby kipper » Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:17 pm

Rill (Halfling)

"You don't have to ask me twice, Grun!", Rill agrees, rubbing his hands together in anticipation. He sets off at a run towards Snug Harbor.
kipper

Postby Miraje » Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:11 pm

Kob

Uh...

(Kob slowly plods after the others)
-- If you let their characters die, they stop suffering... --
Miraje

Postby greyarea » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:44 pm

Imric cheerfully says, Yes, let us dine.

He jauntily leads the way, greeting the guards before they can say anything. Hello good men. As our benefactor surely informed you, we are a hungry bunch. If you would so kindly tell us your favorite place for dinner and drink, we would be most appreciative. We have sailed far and are still a bit wobbly from our journey, so some good food and cheerful drink would be most welcome. Feel free to join us when you get off your shift and you can give us the lay of the land. I'm sure there would be a drink or two in it for you!
greyarea

Postby kjc » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:11 pm

Heston - Fighter
Heston plows forward until he is standing next to Imric. Placing his fists on his hips, he address the guards."Stand aside small guardlings, we would wine and wench! Little Im-lic is right, join us later if you wish to buy me a round. I will tell you tales of my journey here."
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby badams30 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:07 am

As you approach the guards, they block the entrance to the city and motion for you to stop. One steps to the front and nods politely as you all speak, then he says "One moment, please. I understand you are adventurers and guests of the Duke, is this correct?" Without waiting for a reply he says in a well-rehearsed tone: "Good. Welcome to Rynd Hold, gateway of New Gornia. We have a peaceful city here, thievery is punishable by all sorts of painful means, and fighting is not condoned. Keep those weapons sheathed and your tempers in check, and you'll have a fine stay. Drawing a weapon within the city walls is a crime, and disobeying a direct order from any uniformed guardsman will earn ya' a quick trip to the jail for a night to think about it." He smiles and says "Now with that out of the way, this way, gentlemen. Mister Steven says you are to lodge at the Snug Harbor. It's as fine and restful an inn as you'll find in the city. Proceed straight through the gate for a spell and you'll see it, it's a large affair, with a sign that has an image of a ship floating among the night clouds."

The guard moves out of the way and says quietly to Imric's offer of drink "Thank you, good sir, perhaps later. Much work to do today, lots of ships coming in, eh? But a cold ale would be a welcome distraction. I know where to find you all. Good day to you men."

You walk through the tall gates and enter a busy but orderly city. The smell of fish and other foods draws your attention to a small marketplace to the left, with lots of fresh seafood and other edibles, and some basic seafaring items (ropes, lanterns, sail mending services, etc) And the road continues on straight ahead, and the surroundings quickly become private residences and the occasional small shop (tailors, candlemakers, etc. If you are looking for a mundane shop, there is a chance you'll find it around here.)

After a brief walk, you see a large two story building ahead of you, it's of large timber construction and appears well-maintained. A sign hangs from above the door with the expected image of a sailing ship floating peacefully above clouds in a moonlit sky. The words "Snug Harbor" are highlighted in gold paint. A heavy oaken double door is ahead of you, and you can hear the sounds of clanking plates and chatter from within, along with the faint aroma of hearty food wafting though the cracks under the door.

Rill quickly pushes the door open and enters, you quickly follow him inside. It's a busy inn and tavern, and it's about 3/4 full, with mostly seafarers eating heaping plates of food and gulping tankards of whatever. The decor is fairly plain, with some nautical accents here and there. As you take in the sights of the busy place, and burly human about 6ft tall and with a wild black beard and long black hair in a pony tail comes up and holds his arms out and with a booming voice "WELCOME! WEEELLLLCOME! You must be our guests, Steven has told me you'd be here. I've saved a table for you at the back, go sit and we'll get you some food, eh?" He motions toward a large round table near the back wall and a pile of firewood for the large hearth nearby. Most of the occupants of the inn are human, so you get some curious glances as you walk by, some folks nod and mutter greetings. No one is hostile, just seemingly curious at such an odd bunch.

You take a seat and the barmaid and innkeep come by to take orders. (basically any normal breakfast food and drink, even booze, is available here, and your tab is picked up to the tune of 4GP per day for food and drink, lodging is paid in advance for two days in a private room (it's a common room, but reserved for all of you.)

You can mingle or do whatever. You all have two days to kill. All you need to do is get your room key, the rest is up to you all.
badams30

Postby Miraje » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:51 am

Kob

At the first sight/smell of food, Kob's stomach emits a horrible growling noise (he never eats well at sea), and his mouth drops open, with a slight dribble of saliva. Years of discipline keeps him from actually snatching food from nearby platters, but he plainly won't be able to resist for long. He looks hopefully at his companions for salvation... :shock:
-- If you let their characters die, they stop suffering... --
Miraje

Postby Spanningtree » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:26 am

Grun - Fighter

Feeling Kob's pain. Barmaid!! Could you get some bread and butter for us immediately? Maybe 3-4 loafs? We've been at sea for to long and need to tamp our stomachs down.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Next

Return to Taming the Borderlands