Another dungeon anyone?

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Re: Another dungeon anyone?

Postby C'nor (OutermostToe) » Thu May 26, 2011 2:30 pm

11: As the party approaches, they will hear noises, as though some kind of organ is playing. Upon <s>opening the door</s> entering the room, they will be hit by a blast of steam (3d6 damage. Save for half damage as though a Red Dragon's breath weapon.). Once it has cleared, the party will see strange metal pipes going up to the ceiling, which will open randomly, making the noise they heard on approach.

Back story: Years ago somebody decided to use a Permanency spell combined with Hold Monster on a Fire Elemental and a Water Elemental. They then decided "Well, now that we have these, we might as well do something with them, and devised a steam organ. Said Elementals can be found somewhere below.
Last edited by C'nor (OutermostToe) on Sun May 29, 2011 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
And as in uffish thought he stood,
The Jabberwock, with eyes of flame,
Came whiffling through the tulgey wood,
And burbled as it came!
C'nor (OutermostToe)

Postby elf23 » Fri May 27, 2011 9:19 pm

12. The Hanged Man: Barren cave with a sandy floor and a 30' high roof. Observant parties may notice that a skeleton hangs suspended from the middle of the ceiling, dangling 20' above their heads. It hangs head down, and is clutching a small object in one of its hands. If the PCs manage to retrieve the object, they will discover it to be a red leather wallet with 5gp and a note inside it. The note reads simply "William, many thanks".

In the southern half of the cave a 10' deep pit allows access to a small tunnel. The floor of the pit is sandy and contains various footprints, including humanoids and some kind of large animal.

[ps. C'nor, re: area 11... the description mentions a door, but there's not one on the map!]
[pps. Huh, I just checked and it turns out that the Hanged Man is in fact the 12th tarot card. Coincidence or subconscious something or other?
elf23

Postby Dyson Logos » Sat May 28, 2011 12:44 am

C'nor (OutermostToe) wrote:8: Springs and Puddings

This room contains a large Black Pudding* on the ceiling. It was originally in a 20' deep pit (Now has 10' of water in it) used for garbage disposal by the goblins, but an underground spring flooded said pit, allowing it to feed off of the fish within, and avoid starvation, as well as escape.

*Double HD and Damage.

I think this might be worth revisiting - a free-roaming 20 Hit Die creature dealing 6d8 damage in a level 4 adventure seems a bit over the top.

Two room 31's

CRAP. I did it again.

Alright, I'll go in and fix that in Photoshop.

Argh.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Dyson Logos » Sat May 28, 2011 1:02 am

Revised Map:

Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Bob » Sat May 28, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks for correcting the numbering. I'll do another room later.
Bob

Postby C'nor (OutermostToe) » Sun May 29, 2011 12:56 pm

Dyson Logos wrote:
C'nor (OutermostToe) wrote:8: Springs and Puddings

This room contains a large Black Pudding* on the ceiling. It was originally in a 20' deep pit (Now has 10' of water in it) used for garbage disposal by the goblins, but an underground spring flooded said pit, allowing it to feed off of the fish within, and avoid starvation, as well as escape.

*Double HD and Damage.

I think this might be worth revisiting - a free-roaming 20 Hit Die creature dealing 6d8 damage in a level 4 adventure seems a bit over the top.

Yergh. I don't have the Labyrinth Lord Monster Manual, so I was going based on a (probably incorrect) recollection of them being something like 2HD and 1d6 damage, base, in the AD&D MM. That is a bit overpowered, yes.

13. The Fallen: In this room are the last of the goblins. The specter of the Hanged Man has drained them, but retained them as servants. Treat them as incorporeal goblins with an extra hit die, and the same for damage. There are 1d6+6 of them in this room at any one time, out of the 24 goblins that made it down here. When one half of those in the room have been killed, the rest will return. If one half of those are also killed, then the specter of the Hanged Man will return.

[ps. Elf23, re: Area 12... Wouldn't the skeleton have disarticulated?]

[pps. Door? What door? :)]
And burbled as it came!
C'nor (OutermostToe)

Postby elf23 » Sun May 29, 2011 2:11 pm

C'nor (OutermostToe) wrote:[ps. Elf23, re: Area 12... Wouldn't the skeleton have disarticulated?]

Ha ha... (Lack of medical knowledge. Are those skeletons in classrooms actually held together by wires or something then? I never thought about it.) Erm, I guess it's magic or something! ;)

By the way, the LL monsters are all here (free download).
elf23

Postby MedievalKnievel » Sun May 29, 2011 3:06 pm

Man, how did I miss that another one of these got started? I'll jump right in:

14. Troll Corner Three trolls occupy this room. Each troll carries a long poll with a line attached to one end, at the end of which is tied a chunk of unidentifiable bloody meat. They discuss in hushed tones in which direction the best "fishing" is to be had (potential areas include the pit in 12, the shelf at 10, or just pulling up the ladder right here). If closely inspected, the large boulders in the south east corner reveal themselves to be three more trolls that have been turned to stone.
MedievalKnievel

Postby elf23 » Tue May 31, 2011 7:04 am

Hey MedievalKnievel, welcome back! Glad you found us again :D
elf23

Postby C'nor (OutermostToe) » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:58 pm

elf23 wrote:
C'nor (OutermostToe) wrote:[ps. Elf23, re: Area 12... Wouldn't the skeleton have disarticulated?]

Ha ha... (Lack of medical knowledge. Are those skeletons in classrooms actually held together by wires or something then? I never thought about it.)

Yep, they are. Though I suppose that the Hanged Man may have kept his body together...

15. Carry on, Carrion

This room contains 1d6 Ghouls, led by 3 Ghasts*. In the center of the room, there is a portal to the Underworld. (Not the Abyss, or whatever equivalent you use, but the realm of the dead.).

*If I got the relative power of them right. Otherwise, reverse it.
And burbled as it came!
C'nor (OutermostToe)

PreviousNext

Return to Open Workshop