Welcome To Morgan Vale!

badams30's Labyrinth Lord p=b-p game.

Moderator: badams30

Re: Welcome To Morgan Vale!

Postby Spanningtree » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:00 am

Nahin - Elf

Nahin leans back and takes in the ensuing conversation.

BTW: How much loot if any did we bring back on the last romp?
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby badams30 » Fri Mar 21, 2014 1:55 am

Spanningtree wrote:Nahin - Elf

Nahin leans back and takes in the ensuing conversation.

BTW: How much loot if any did we bring back on the last romp?

Sorry - in the previous post I meant RORY chuckles at the old man, not Nahin. My bad.
Due to the zombie rush downstairs, you retreated before you could search the temple and other rooms, but stand by... that will be addressed soon. I'll scan my notes for other loot, and post shortly.
badams30

Postby Spanningtree » Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:18 am

OCC: The conversation was directed at Marcus so I've been kinda laying low. :)
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby badams30 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:02 am

No prob. We're going to keep this crazy train rolling, we've been slow, but going for a couple of years now, so no reason to stop! I'll send an IM. Goal is to get rolling again tomorrow.
badams30

Postby badams30 » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:04 pm

Just to catch up - the old man has directed his question at Marcus. He waits to see what he says.
badams30

Postby greyarea » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:17 pm

Marcus is startled, not realizing the question was directed at him at first. :oops: He responds, Well met. I am Marcus of the Dutybound, humble servant of Torm.
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:41 am

The old man smiles and lightly taps his fist on the table. He reaches inside his tunic and pulls out a small well-worn silver holy symbol of Torm and holds it up for a moment. "I thought so, judging by your armor and your bearing. But wanted to be sure." He rubs the holy symbol and then stows it back in his shirt. As he's doing this, a tray of ales arrives at the table, the buxom barmaid smiling and nodding at the old man "Compliments of Mr. Bloom here."

The old man smiles and raises a glass, awaiting you to do the same. He says "To Torm, and to your health, Dutybound." He takes a big swig and says "My name is James. You can call me James, Jim, or old man. Whatever suits you. I heard rumors of your arrival from the watch, and a friend told me you were being lodged here. I have some information that might interest you." He looks you all over and his smile fades. He swallows the rest of his ale and motions for another, and he sighs and says "I was at Dragonspear, over 50 years past. (NOTE: it's been a couple years since we started this campaign, but to rewind, about 55 years ago, Dragonspear castle, located at the end of the tradeway, south of Daggerford, was the site of a terrific battle between man and the forces of evil - orcs, ogres, and even demons. Man prevailed, but was never able to fully exploit their victory at the castle. A rumored portal to the lower planes was within, and a chapel was built to keep the evil at bay. To this day, small incursions from evil beings emanate from the area, and Daggerford and Waterdeep send periodic patrols to keep an eye on the place. It's not for the novice or faint of heart, and Marcus remembers tales of the terrible casualties that the company of paladins and fighters from the temple of Torm bore in the fight. Only 1/4th of the men who left for Dragonspear returned.) "I volunteered to go with the men from the temple. None of my platoon made it back, save for my friend Spencer. After the battle, I was searching for survivors, and I came across an ugly ogre, a big one, who had a scroll tube on him. This scroll tube" and he pulls an ivory scroll tube out, well worn, but with an engraved sign of Torm on the top.
He smiles a halfhearted smile and hands the tube to Marcus. Another round of drinks arrives, and the tube sets in front of Marcus, beckoning....
badams30

Postby greyarea » Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:36 pm

Marcus, paladin

This is interesting, James. I am sorry for your loss. Torm has met them in the afterlife and given them life beyond what we have here in this mortal realm. I have heard of the terrible battle and terrible cost at Dragonspar. Now, please tell me, he picks up the scroll tube, has this ever been opened by you or other followers of Torm?
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:23 pm

The old man picks up the tube and with a grunt, twists the top off and slides a rolled piece of parchment out. He spreads it out on the table. It is an old, well perused document on a fine, sturdy piece of paper. In ornate script it has several lines of text.

The Warrior and Wizard of White Interred, the blade and book await heroes of good - inferred. The tomb lies in the Misty Wood, beneath the home where the two once stood. One of Torm must unlock the way, sacrifice and answers will win the day. Beware! The way of greed points to your end, a humble path is your friend. If the riddle’s answer you wish to yield, look no further than the Lion’s shield. Heed these clues, ye of light, and wield the tools of Torm’s might. But if your motives be not of good, you’ll find your death beneath Misty Wood.

As you peruse the document and the cryptic words sink in, James interrupts your concentration and says "Spencer and I always vowed to figure out what this meant, but time and distance have kept us from doing it. When we met last summer, we agreed to pass this on to someone worthy, someone who can appreciate it's meaning. I think you boys are those men." He glances at the parchment one last time, and he rolls it up carefully, replacing it in the tube and putting the stopper back in place. He holds gingerly for a moment, and then passes it to Marcus. "Here you go, lad. It's yours. Don't wait 50 years to act on it like I did. You'll regret it." He takes a long pull on his tankard and says, "you'll want to talk to Spencer. He was a bit smarter than I. He had been researching what this might mean for some time, and then life got in his way. He may have some clues for you. He runs the candle shop in Daggerford. His health has been failing these years, so it's better that you speak to him while you can." A sad look crosses his face and he says "Poor Spencer's body and mind are failing him. We said our goodbyes this past year, and I don't think I'll be seeing him again on this mortal plane."

He pauses to compose himself and says "Well, you don't want to be troubled by some old coot. I'll finish my drink and be on my way. He smiles at your group, and sips some ale.

If you want to ask James any questions, now's the time. Otherwise he'll take his leave. I'll post the riddle in the in the "Rumors and Leads" thread.
badams30

Postby greyarea » Thu Mar 27, 2014 7:00 pm

Marcus raises his eyebrows. He looks at his companions and then back at James and the scroll case.

Thank you, James. We won't wait the fifty years you and your friend did. Might I ask why you didn't venture out without Spencer? Do any of the locations mentioned in the riddle sound familiar to you? The Misty Wood? The Lion's Shield, if that is a place and not some other clue? Where this home might be? Did you research this at all, or do you think Spencer might have?
greyarea

PreviousNext

Return to Forgotten Realms: Northlands of Adventure