Movies that inspire a game setting

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Re: Movies that inspire a game setting

Postby Atomic Ray » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:25 pm

A modified Zardoz is a good fit IMO.

Isolated PSH "immortals" directing the savage PSH Exterminators hunt the Mutant Brutals...lots of potential from a simple start.

:D
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Gavin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:45 pm

If I were playing or running a Zardoz based campaign, I'd rather have the PCs be Brutals like Sean Connery's character of Zed.

However wearing a wedding dress as a disguise would involve certain special rules. :lol:
Gavin

Postby gentleman john » Sun Feb 12, 2012 8:40 pm

I'd go for Logan's Run - but not the movie! I'd prefer to go for the TV series. There is very little that needs changing there to make a MF setting.

For a start, you have the City of Domes, which would be home to a decadent PSH population. Outside, there is the wasteland that is what remains after the great disaster that forced the PSHs to seal themselves into their city. There are scattered communities around the wastelands, populated by various enclaves of mutants and survivors. Perfect for MF.

Another TV series I'd consider would be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fantastic_Journey. Unfortunately, the latest incarnation of Gamma World has slightly soured me on this one :(
gentleman john

Postby Gavin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:03 pm

gentleman john wrote:Another TV series I'd consider would be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fantastic_Journey.

That makes me think of a show from the mid-80's called Otherworld. It could fuel a lot of ideas for Mutant Future. I'll probably end up posting about it on my Blog.
Gavin

Postby Atomic Ray » Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:57 pm

Logan's Run + Zardoz...the Immortals are the dome dwellers and those outside the domes are the Brutals.

Through in a bit of Paranoia RPG and you are set lol.
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby gentleman john » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:00 pm

Gavin wrote:That makes me think of a show from the mid-80's called Otherworld. It could fuel a lot of ideas for Mutant Future. I'll probably end up posting about it on my Blog.

I have to say, that does sound like a good background for a game. Pity that series never made it as far as the UK, as I'd like to have seen it for myself.
gentleman john

Postby greyarea » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:09 pm

Gavin wrote:That makes me think of a show from the mid-80's called Otherworld. It could fuel a lot of ideas for Mutant Future. I'll probably end up posting about it on my Blog.

Otherworld rocked. I recall enjoying that very much (I was definitely in the target audience at the time) and have re-watched them since. It would make for a great gaming environment but I'm thinking more straight sci-fi than post-apocalyptic. So just pure-strain humans, no mutants, possibly cyborgs or robots but definitely lasers, cool cars, and the whole "zone" concept. And potentially trying to find your way home.
greyarea

Postby Malcadon » Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:49 am

(her)

+

(that outfit)

=

OMG!!! If there is a pic of that, I really what it!!! :o
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby Atomic Ray » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:08 am

That is one seriously fancy gun!
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Agrippa » Tue Feb 14, 2012 4:27 am

To be honest I'd like to come up with or just see a combination of Sin City and Hellboy. With perhaps a hint of Buffy and Grimm of course. Or maybe something along the lines of both the Dresdenverse and Cast A Deadly Spell. Either way they'll be plenty of chances for supernatural martial arts and Charles Atlas superpowers, along with a mixture MF races and both official homebrew BECMI/LL classes.
Agrippa

PreviousNext

Return to Mutant Future