WotC Resurrects AD&D

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

WotC Resurrects AD&D

Postby nextautumn » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:53 am

From WotC:

"In 1974, the world changed forever when Gary Gygax introduced the Dungeons & Dragons role-playing game. The legacy of his innovative ideas and the extensive reach of his powerful influence can be seen in virtually every facet of gaming today.

To help honor his work and his memory, we created limited-edition reprints of the original 1st Edition core rulebooks: the Monster Manual, Player's Handbook, and Dungeon Master's Guide. These premium versions of the original AD&D rulebooks have been lovingly reprinted with the original art and content, but feature an attractive new cover design commemorating this re-release. Available in limited quantities as a hobby channel exclusive in North America.

Your purchase of this monumental book helps support the Gygax Memorial Fund—established to immortalize the “Father of Roleplaying Games” with a memorial statue in Lake Geneva, WI"

Link: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/dndacc/02410000
nextautumn

Re: WotC Resurrects AD&D

Postby elf23 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:09 am

Eh!? That's come out of nowhere! Cool! (I still have the originals, but still....)
elf23

Postby sniderman » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:22 pm

I have to admit, this is a surprising development. And considering they're earmarking funds for the Gygax Memorial just makes it all the more satisfying.

And, hell, as long as we're talking classic reprints, James Ward has just authorized new reprints of the Metamorphosis Alpha First Edition (revised) rules. Get 'em while they're posted at Lulu:

Metamorphosis Alpha First Edition reprint
sniderman

Postby redwullf » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:00 pm

We haven't had a lot of opportunities to say good things about WotC for some time now. This is a tasteful and appreciable move on their part. Good job, Wizards.
“The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” E. G. G.
redwullf

Postby Dyson Logos » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:13 pm

WARBARGLE!

The Canadian dollar is basically at parity with the US dollar (0.991 right now) and nonetheless, they are going to charge us more for these books.

I call bullshit.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby hydrogyrum » Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:51 am

They have to make up for that $0.009 discrepancy somehow.
hydrogyrum

Postby redwullf » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:54 am

Dyson Logos wrote:WARBARGLE!

The Canadian dollar is basically at parity with the US dollar (0.991 right now) and nonetheless, they are going to charge us more for these books.

I call bullshit.

“The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” E. G. G.
redwullf

Postby Bob » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:54 am

What's the price in Canada?
Bob

Postby 3llense'g » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:42 am

Well the Euro is actually better off then the $, and we're not getting any reprints. Feel better now? ;)
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Postby barrataria » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:29 pm

I think the gamestore-only distribution was a way to throw stores and distributors a bone after the 5E announcement stuck them with soon-to-be-outmoded 4E gamebooks.
barrataria

Next

Return to Open Discussion