The Keep on the Borderlands

This forum is for any small member projects (new monsters, magic items, etc.). Members may request a full forum for special large projects, and this will be considered.

Postby Blood axe » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:58 pm

An old classic. Many of us old time players have been to the Caves of Chaos. Opinions vary on this adventure, but one thing it is definitely lacking in is details. The inhabitants of The Keep don't have names, the Tavern doesn't have a name, many of the rooms have very little description.
I want to add more details, names, flavor text, etc,etc. I want to keep the 'foundation' of the adventure & just build on it- not change it. The adventure has been around since at least 1980-81. After 30+ years it needs a rehaul.

I know about Hackmasters- Little Keep on the Borderlands. Other versions for 4E. The Shadowed Keep on the Borderlands. And the remake- Return to The Keep on the Borderlands. These are a bit different.

Id like this to be a kind of forum project. Your help, input, criticisms. It would great help if you have a copy of this adventure or have played it. If you don't have a copy, Im sure a pdf can be found cheap or free.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Re: The Keep on the Borderlands

Postby Blood axe » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:21 am

The first thing I was thinking about is The Keep itself. What laws/rules would be upheld in this bastion of Law on the borderlands? Its a militarized fort of about 100-150 people. Population is mostly soldiers with some travelers, tradesmen, adventurers.

I was thinking a 10% tax on recovered treasures first off, as that seems to be the norm.
Laws & rules?
Screening/questions to enter The Keep?
Bounties on nearby humanoids & bandits? (ears?)
Blood axe

Postby by_the_sword » Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:44 am

Do you mean a 10% tax on items that the party would sell? Ex: they find a 100gp gem and sell it but only get 90gp for it?

If so then I like the idea.

You could have Peace bonding of weapons while inside the keep's walls. Also you could have every traveller that enters the keep for the first time swear an oath (under pain of death) that they are not aligned with chaos. I realize that a chaotic person would just lie, but it might provide a paranoid atmosphere that the borderlanders have.

Bodies of bandits and humanoids might be hanging from a gibbet or from the Keep's walls.
by_the_sword

Postby Blood axe » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:56 pm

by_the_sword wrote:Do you mean a 10% tax on items that the party would sell? Ex: they find a 100gp gem and sell it but only get 90gp for it?

If so then I like the idea.

You could have Peace bonding of weapons while inside the keep's walls. Also you could have every traveller that enters the keep for the first time swear an oath (under pain of death) that they are not aligned with chaos. I realize that a chaotic person would just lie, but it might provide a paranoid atmosphere that the borderlanders have.

Bodies of bandits and humanoids might be hanging from a gibbet or from the Keep's walls.

Yes, a 10% tax on treasures recovered & brought to the Keep.
Blood axe

Postby Malcadon » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:42 pm

Blood axe wrote:The Keep on the Borderlands
An old classic. Many of us old time players have been to the Caves of Chaos. Opinions vary on this adventure, but one thing it is definitely lacking in is details. The inhabitants of The Keep don't have names, the Tavern doesn't have a name, many of the rooms have very little description.

The reason for this, is that it was meant to be a intro setting, and a microcosm for a larger gaming enviroment, where young Dungeon Masters would have to full-in their own details. Basically, its a campaign setting with training-wheels. This is also the type of place a high-level Fighter would have built.

As for how one would round-out this micro-setting, I would assume that one would always consider that this is a frontier settlement beyond the edge of known civilization. Folks come here finding new challenges or opportunities, but the dangers keep most people away, so the people here would have a pioneer's mindset... Or they might be here to escape their past from the civilized world. There is a lot to consider!
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby Blood axe » Sat Jun 29, 2013 10:00 pm

Oh, I understand why it lacks details, but its been 30 years. They changed a lot in the remake. I would have liked the remake to be more like the original....only better.
Im going to run this at Unseen Servant adding my own details, and some from "Return".
Blood axe

Return to Open Workshop