1st-time DM advice

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

1st-time DM advice

Postby tumblingdice » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:38 pm

Hi everyone,

After playing in several pbp games, I want to take the plunge and DM my own pbp game. I DMed a few times 25 years ago when I was 12 and 13, but that's the extent of my experience. Being a bit older and wiser, though, and having played with some great pbp DMs on this site--Blood Axe, I'm looking at you :) -- I know how a game is supposed to run, and want to give it a shot with a published module. I have a few questions, though, and I hope you can help me out.

2. I'm guessing most of the people on this site are about my age (37) or older, and are juggling careers, families and outside interests. How much time as a DM do you spend preparing the adventure beyond what the module already provides? (eg. creating your own maps, player aids, additional encounters, etc.) Do you do this all ahead of time, or as you go along?

3. Do you find the suggested character levels and party sizes on published modules to be accurate? Do you solicit more players than recommended to account for character deaths and player attrition?

4. Do you find that published modules written back in the day require a lot of modification to work in a pbp environment? Is there anything that consistently doesn't work and needs to be changed?

5. Are modules for higher level characters more difficult for a DM, especially an inexperienced DM, to run than low-level adventures? The module I would like to run is for character levels 6 through 9.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Tumblingdice, a.k.a. Steve
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Re: 1st-time DM advice

Postby Blood axe » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:57 pm

Awww shucks- THANKS!! Its great to have you.

There wasnt too much preparation involved. I have many, many old school daventures. I just read it, then reread it again so I am familair with it. You gotta think how the charcaters/players will interact. And they will still throw you a curve!!

Suggested levels are pretty accurate- i over- recruit because many players get busy, or drop -out, and sometimes its difficult to introduce a new player mid-adventure. And you dont want everyone to wait while you try to find someone.

I found the advetures need little modification.

IMHO lower level adventures area bit easier to run- Under level 7. Higher levels are more dangerous, more magic, more magic items,more everrything.

What adventure you planning?? (You can PM me anytime!!)
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby connivingsumo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:16 pm

Hey Steve,

I'd love to be one of your test players.

#2) I think a lot of this depends on how much 'flavor' you want in your game. Scalydemon's MF game had a lot of 'retro-photos' and such to add a visual element; yet, other DMs just use text and the occasional maps and they're just as fun. I tend to update as I need to just because of my schedule, but I'm sure others plan ahead more.

#3) Yes and Yes, but 'good' players can sometimes accomplish as much or more with fewer of them, and at lower levels, as opposed to following the module and having an "entire party" at the suggested levels. I think this would hinge on knowing your players, or having players that know themselves. I haven't been playing pbp for very long - and I've seen some pretty decent attrition so I think you're on the right track with that.

#4) Not that I've found; however, take what I say with a grain of salt (a rather large one!) because I'm still running my first campaign in pbp.

#5) You could always start out with a lower level 'test' module, or even part of a lower level module to get the feel of it, then determine if you could run the higher level one. I'm sure people with more experience DM'ing pbp will be able to answer this more thoroughly.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby tumblingdice » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Thanks for your advice and encouragement, guys. If only I had some lower-level adventure that could set the stage for the epic struggle between good and evil about to unfold...

Oh wait, I have just the thing. Stay tuned... :D
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Return to Open Discussion