Part 4: One Last Nature Hike

Sniderman's Cryptworld game

Moderator: sniderman

Re: Part 4: One Last Nature Hike

Postby segeorge » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:22 pm

greyarea wrote:Hal holds his sword cane ready and looks for the gold rock. Blast, I should have remembered that! I might have doomed us all, he hisses! Find the gold rock, so we can properly honor her and put Audrey's soul to rest!

Running towards Lucus' position, Webb consoles Hal: "I think we all forgot about that, Professor." Then Webb jumps into the water to retreive the rock and look for clues to where her body might be.
segeorge

Postby sniderman » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:00 am

Lucas swallows deeply and stands his ground. "We're here to give you a proper burial, Audrey Burke! We've been looking for you, and our search is over. You need to rest."

[[Hidden reaction roll...]]

Audrey stares at Lucas silently...

Magnus rushes to Lucas' side, taking off the charm bracelet as he runs. "We have your charm bracelet, Audrey! The one that means so much to you," Magnus says to the wraith as he holds out the bracelet.

Audrey straightens up and rears back. Anger? Revulsion? Recognition? Whatever her reaction is, the charm bracelet certainly got her attention.

Hal, Jack, and Webb all dash into the water toward the large gold stone in the center, splashing and thrashing as they hurriedly wade into the pool. The water is waist-deep, so to reach the stone, you'll need to duck your head underwater. Working together, the three men take deep breaths and duck underwater to move the stone from its place at the bottom of the pool.

[[GENERAL check versus Hal, Jack, and Webb's Stamina to hold breath long enough to lift the stone. Results:
Hal STA = 60; Jack = 52; Webb = 64 -- Rolled 49, 25, and 20 -- SUCCESS FOR ALL!!]]

[[GENERAL check versus Hal, Jack, and Webb's Strength to move the stone -- two successes needed. Results:
Hal STR = 62; Jack = 54; Webb = 64 -- Rolled 52, 45, and 45 -- SUCCESS FOR ALL!!]]

The three men surround the stone and lift it up and away from the bottom of the reservoir, shuffling it over to the side of the pool.

Audrey stares past Lucas and Magnus in front of her, glaring at the disturbance in the water.

"....muffit....come..." Audrey hisses.

[[GENERAL check versus Lucas and Magnus Perception. Results:
Lucas PCN = 60; Magnus = 62 -- Rolled 57 and 5 -- SUCCESS]]

Both Lucas and Magnus catch a whiff of animal sweat, hot breath, and brimstone. They turn to see a large black hound form out of the darkness itself, materializing next to the pool. It growls, bristles, waiting...

Their breath spent and their muscles exerted, Hal, Jack, and Webb break the surface of the water. To say they are surprised by the demonic hound staring at them is an understatement.

"....muffit....SIC 'EM!..." Audrey screeches and the hound charges into the pond. Water splashes as the men get the hell out of the way as the beast thrashes and splashes, trying to get a bite on any one who gets near.

[[Initiative roll]]

You guys have initiative. Keep in mind that you probably did NOT bring your weapons into the water, so I'll judge that they're lying by the side of the pool. Lucas and Magnus are armed though. However, will they help with the hellhound, or will they keep focused on Audrey?
sniderman

Postby kmelion » Fri Jun 05, 2015 2:03 am

Jack
I draw a quick breath as I dive towards the shore where my shovel lies. In my I pray that all this splashing masks all of our movements.
kmelion

Postby greyarea » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:27 pm

Hal yells, Audrey, we are trying to recover your body so we can give you a proper burial! You are loved and remembered! As he drops the stone and makes for shore towards his cane.
greyarea

Postby merias » Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:34 pm

Magnus draws his weapon with one hand, aiming at the hound, and holds out the charm bracelet with his off-hand. He does not shoot yet - the others are too close and if they get out of the pool, he'll have the hound covered.

"Audrey, listen! We can help! Your mother gave us this bracelet to bury with you. Give us time to find your body!"

ooc: If we kill her dog she'll never listen to us.
merias

Postby segeorge » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:40 am

Webb, seeing Jack and Hal go for their weapons (and possibly Magnus draw his), decides to take a chance to increase their odds. Rather than turn his back on the hellhound, Webb attempts to draw its attention and maneuver it so that its back is towards Hal and Jack (and hopefully exposing its side to Magnus).

Webb splashes water at the hound, while turning, calling to it: “Over hear, dog!” >splash< “Bad dog.” >splash< “Look at me.” >splash<
Adding: “Whenever you’re ready, guys” to the others (while trying to avoid getting bitten)
segeorge

Postby funfungiguy » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:33 pm

Seeing the others drop the stone to deal with the dog, Lucas ponders trying to use his wrestling background to lift it himself. ((I don't know exactly how big this stone is that locals is looking at. If it looks like the three men would struggle to get it up, then Lucas probably can't by himself. But if it looks like he might be able to lift it, then he try that. If it looks to big for him to lift by himself, then he'll start my chainsaw and start approaching the dog as well.))
funfungiguy

Postby sniderman » Mon Jun 22, 2015 1:25 am

The spectral hound dashes into the waterfall's basin as Jack, Hal, and Webb scatter, trying to avoid being mauled by "Muffit," the enraged hellhound. Scowling, Audrey watches placidly nearby as Lucas and Magnus stare in horror at the attack.

Jack quickly draws his breath and dives towards the shore where his shovel lies, hoping his splashing masks the movement of his friends. Having a similar idea, Webb splashes water at the hound, calling to it, "Over here, dog!” >splash< “Bad dog!” >splash< “Look at me!” >splash<

The hound reaches the center of the pool and seems to spin about, snapping and gnashing its teeth, as if uncertain as to which victim it wants to attack.

Hal makes for shore towards his cane. He reaches the pool's edge and pulls himself out, grabbing his cane and pulling out the hidden sword. He then shouts, "Audrey, we are trying to recover your body so we can give you a proper burial! You are loved and remembered!"

Audrey turns to Hal. She sneers.

"...lies...all lies...muffit...kill them..."

The hound turns to Hal, its eyes blazing. It charges in for the attack as Hal whips his sword out to defend himself.

[[Hidden attack roll...]]

The hound leaps in for the attack, and Hal manages to step deftly aside as the creature lands with a thud next to him. Hal brings his sword around to slash at the beast as it passes.

[[SPECIFIC check versus Hal's Sword skill. Results:
Sword skill: 74 - Rolled 46 - Margin of success: 28
Action Table results: 28 "Attack Margin" cross-indexed with Muffits Column 5 "HTH defense" = M result (MODERATE DAMAGE)]]

The hound yelps as the sword cuts across its back. To Hal, it feels like he's cutting into a pile of leaves as the creature is barely substantial on this plane. The hound continues running away, but is obviously cutting an arc to return for another attack.

Magnus draws his weapon and aims at the running hound. He looks over his shoulder at Audrey, holding out the charm bracelet with his off-hand.

"Audrey, listen! We can help! Your mother gave us this bracelet to bury with you. Give us time to find your body!" he pleads.

Magnus watches as recognition passes over Audrey's face. Is her fury finally broken? Wordlessly, she points to the pool with one of her bladed hands...

During the commotion, Lucas has dashed into the pool, wading as fast as he can into the water, using his hands to pull himself deeper until he reaches the point where the large rock was moved. He dips his head under the water and sees the sunken depression where the rock sat. Lucas begins clawing at the loose gravel and soil at the bottom of the pool.

[[GENERAL check versus Lucas' Luck. Results:
Lucas LCK = 58 -- Rolled 70 -- FAILURE]]

Lucas' head breaks the surface and he sputters, catching his breath. "I don't see anything under here!" he shouts.

Webb, still in the water, splashes over to assist Lucas while Jack runs into the water brandishing his shovel. They reach the same point and duck their heads underwater, Webb scratching at the bottom while Jacks stabs at the gravel with his shovel...

[[GENERAL check versus Webb and Jack's Luck. Results:
Webb LCK = 42; Jack LCK = 70 -- Rolled 55 -- JACK SUCCEEDS]]

Jack stabs the shovel into the bottom and removes a shovelful of soil. He is stunned and a bit sickened to uncover a human hand, bloated and sickly from years of being underwater. The hand is slightly opened, its fingers opening and closing softly due to the water's movements. He pops up from underwater. "HERE!" he shouts. "I FOUND HER!"

Magnus looks back at Audrey, hoping for some sign. Audrey continues to point at where Jack stands. Magnus shifts his glance to see the hound bearing down on Hal, closing in for another attack. Jack, Lucas, and Webb wave frantically...

Magnus, the next move is yours alone. Everybody else can shout instructions or suggestions, but only Magnus can actually act.

What do you do?
sniderman

Postby merias » Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:21 pm

Magnus fires his gun into the air "Muffit, NO!" he yells.

His intent is just to scare the beast, or at least distract it briefly. He then holsters his pistol and runs into the water, given enough time he'll place the bracelet on the wrist of the corpse.
merias

Postby greyarea » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:49 pm

Hal yells, Honor her like she deserves!
greyarea

PreviousNext

Return to Forget-Me-Not