Compiled Labyrinth Lord Poll

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Would you like LL and AEC compiled in one volume or two volumes?

One volume
78%
Two volumes (separate player's handbook)
15%
No preference
7%

Total votes : 104

Re: Compiled Labyrinth Lord Poll

Postby Koren n'Rhys » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:57 pm

I have to agree with Wizardawn on this one. The point of Labyrinth Lord, is precisely that it is a faithful clone of B/X, without bringing extraneous, modern elements into it. The AEC, in turn, faithfully clones the additional material from 1E AD&D, but in B/X format. The combined version we are voting on here is merely a collated, single-book version of those two existing products for those who run "Advanced Labyrinth Lord" as many here do.

There is nothing at all wrong with wanting the variety of options desired by grognard9 and others. BUT, in my eyes they are best suited to supplemental books, or are already found in other clones that aren't so strictly following an old rule set. If you are looking for a huge tome which includes all that stuff, I'd can't recommend any single book more strongly than Fantastic Heroes & Witchery. Free PDF or affordable in print, so you can't lose.

Lots of great OSR games to choose from out there, it's just that all those cool extras fall outside the scope of this particular proposed book.
Obligatory Blogroll:
Kingdoms in Trevail for my RC D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"
RetroCyberpunk where I work on a Shadowrun retro-clone[/size]
Koren n'Rhys

Postby Blood axe » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:29 pm

If the LL & AEC are still available separately, what does it matter if there is one book combining them with a bunch of other optional rules? If you don't like it, don't buy it. I don't see the issue.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby AndrewNI » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:21 pm

Blood axe wrote:If the LL & AEC are still available separately, what does it matter if there is one book combining them with a bunch of other optional rules? If you don't like it, don't buy it. I don't see the issue.

There is a certain appeal to having LL and AEC all in one volume, with the absence of supplemental material, at least for me. I like the game as it is, and would not be interested in purchasing a volume with extra material, regardless of whether that supplemental material was described as optional or not. I just want to see it all in one book, rather than two.

Of course, I'm only expressing a preference, just as those who want additional material to be included are. Ultimately, the decision is that of Daniel Proctor, as he is the man who would have to invest his time and energy into such a product.
AndrewNI

Postby Blood axe » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:01 pm

Ok, I got you.
Its basically two camps: one wants just LL/AEC combined & kept pure, the other want extra /optional rules added to the volume.
Blood axe

Postby Wizardawn » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:27 am

Blood axe wrote:Its basically two camps: one wants just LL/AEC combined & kept pure

Correct.
Blood axe wrote:the other want extra /optional rules added to the volume.

Technically, the AEC is a bunch of optional rules. You can use alot of that book but use the race as class form to play it...but incorporate the Druid, or poisons, or the monsters, or the magic items, or the spells, or the Intelligence modifiers mages get, or the wisdom modifiers for clerics.

If they add any new rules to the book, you are basically making a Labyrinth Lord 2nd Edition...which is fine...but as I stated in a previous response, the book would be quite thick with just the rules as is.
Wizardawn

Postby Blood axe » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:56 am

Is this even something that is seriously being considered by GG as a future product?
Blood axe

Postby greyarea » Thu Jul 10, 2014 1:08 am

Blood axe wrote:Is this even something that is seriously being considered by GG as a future product?

Yes. Look at pages 10 & 11 of this thread.
greyarea

Postby Blood axe » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:22 am

greyarea wrote:
Blood axe wrote:Is this even something that is seriously being considered by GG as a future product?

Yes. Look at pages 10 & 11 of this thread.

Ok, Thanks! I knew this thread was going for awhile. I don't see this being released this year though. Could be a good Kickstarter. :D
Blood axe

Postby Koren n'Rhys » Thu Jul 10, 2014 3:14 pm

I supported Dan's Indigogo campaign for Starships and Spacemen at a PDF only level, since i though it was a super cool project, but wouldn't likely play it on it's own. i wnated it more to pull bits into my fantasy game. This, however, I'd back in a heartbeat for a hardcover copy.
Obligatory Blogroll:
Kingdoms in Trevail for my RC D&D ramblings + other "old-school goodness"
RetroCyberpunk where I work on a Shadowrun retro-clone[/size]
Koren n'Rhys

Postby SmokestackJones » Thu Jul 10, 2014 4:06 pm

You mean one book like this?

-SJ
http://saveordie.info - The Save or Die Podcast - A podcast about CLASSIC Dungeons and Dragons
http://thacoshammer.info - THAC0's Hammer - The Best Damn AD&D 2nd Edition Podcast EVER!

http://toomuchjohnson.blogspot.com - My Blog
http://smokestackjones.deviantart.com - My Gallery
SmokestackJones

PreviousNext

Return to Labyrinth Lord