Wild speculation welcome!

For discussion of the new official Pacesetter horror game!

Re: Wild speculation welcome!

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:26 am

kjc wrote:Ok...How about Chill? :mrgreen:

Nope!
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby sniderman » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:34 am

kjc wrote:Ok...How about Chill? :mrgreen:

Bah, I can't imagine he's being deliberately obvious. There's gotta be some twist to it. I got it!

sniderman

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:36 am

Some people may have seen me mention elsewhere that the CHILL brand is unavailable and overpriced...
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:02 am

ok ok, enough being coy!

Pacesetter Horror Rises from the Grave!

Goblinoid Games presents CRYPTWORLD, the new official Pacesetter horror RPG! Other than the zombie survival genre horror rpg ROTWORLD, there has not been a Pacesetter horror game in print since the 1980s. CRYPTWORLD scratches and crawls forth from the grave as the direct Pacesetter horror RPG brand successor!

CRYPTWORLD is a Pacesetter System horror game in which you play an investigator of the unexplained. Any kind of horror is possible, from hunting classic monsters to fighting the secret manipulations of interdimensional aliens, and much more! Be an independent hunter of the horrors in the world, or be a member of one of the several organizations provided, each with different motivations.

CRYPTWORLD handles many subgenres of horror. It is complete presentation of horror rules, game advice, and creatures from different horror subgenres so that you can play any kind of horror game you prefer. Your characters can be members of one of the several example organizations that investigate the unexplained, rather than be limited to only one organization. This also means that there is no specific assumed game setting.

Coming late September!

Writing: Daniel Proctor and Tim Snider

Cover Illustration: Jim Holloway

Interior Illustrations: Jim Holloway, Brian Thomas, Tim Tyler

CRYPTWORLD and CRYPTWORLD: Chilling Adventures into the Unexplained are trademarks of Daniel Proctor.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby DavetheLost » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:25 pm

I am loving that cover. I think you just made a lot of Pacesetter and Goblinoid fanboys and fan girls very happy!

Now let me give you money already!

To be honest I think this actually looks better than a simple rerelease of Chill. I always found S.A.V.E. and the White Way to be the most limiting parts of the setting. Horror games for our groups tended to be one shots and worked better with characters who weren't professional monster hunters. The whole "international secret society" vibe just didn't gell with us.

Like Call of Chulhu trying to fit all of the supernatural and horror and just plain weird and unexplained into a single bucket sometimes felt straightjacketting. Not having a default setting means that Hatian Voodoo zombies can exist side by side with Romero's Living Dead and be different things, although in many ways alike. Vampires could be Lost Boys, Dracula, Nosferatu, or Lifeforcenin nature, or even Fright Night.

Adding the comparability with Majus, Rotworld, and Time Masters, allows for some very interesting possibilities. Not to mention I really lke the game system, even if I keep finding surprisingly missing skills, like stage magic missing from Majus.
DavetheLost

Postby Blood axe » Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:14 pm

This is AWESOME!! Take my money!!

Ive been wanting to do a Hunters Hunted game, Vampire vs. Vamphunters!
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby seneschal » Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:00 pm

Excellent news, and long awaited. :)

Hmmm. While things are looking up for Goblinoid and Pacesetter fans, the Cryptworld cover's trio of frightened investigators appear to be about to suffer an, um, setback.

Very evocative of its spiritual predecessor's cover illustrations.
seneschal

Postby artbraune » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:42 pm

Can you tease us with any more on the genres or organization details?
artbraune

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:54 pm

artbraune wrote:Can you tease us with any more on the genres or organization details?

Genres are basically through the variety of creatures. There are a wide variety of creatures, mostly inspired by a lot of stuff from horror movies in the 80s. Are you here to chew bubblegum and kick ass? We got you covered! Space blobs? Check. Dream Stalkers in the vein of Freddy Kruger? Check. A LOT more.

Organizations hit different bases, like secret government agencies, a more scholarly/science-based organization, a group that started as a vampire hunter group spawned from the Salem witch trials, also a tabloid newspaper, and some more.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby sniderman » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:46 am

If I may jump in, one thing that I appreciate about Cryptworld is that the overall theme is not limited to supernatural threats. (i.e., ghosts, ghouls, vampires, and such...though they certainly are present and accounted for!) You want biological monstrosities spawned by Science Gone Horribly Wrong? Done. How about Creatures From Beyond The Stars that view humanity as something to be subjugated...or consumed? Done. What about mutant cannibals lurking in the sewers and caves, or psychotic chainsaw-wielding slashers lumbering toward the PCs? Done and done. And there is oh-so-much-more to terrorize and torment your victims...er...players with.

:D
sniderman

PreviousNext

Return to CRYPTWORLD