STAR EXPLORER!

For discussion of the role-play board game that takes place in the Starships & Spacemen universe.

STAR EXPLORER!

Postby Goblinoid Games » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:36 pm

Goblinoid Games has purchased the rights to STAR EXPLORER, the role-play board game that takes place in the same universe as Starships & Spacemen. Originally published by Fantasy Games Unlimited in 1982, this classic game of space exploration has been long out of print and hard to obtain. The game is currently being converted to PDF format for download and home assembly, and should be ready to purchase at our online store within the next two weeks. Depending on demand, the game may be brought back into print as a physical product as well. The PDF release will feature the original green playsheet for people wanting the original, and a revised playsheet for those who want a fresh look. The rulebook will account for errata and minor rule revisions that have been implemented over the last 29 years.

From the back of the box:

Now you too can be a STAR EXPLORER!

In this game of exploration and confrontation you play the role of the Captain of a StarShip of the Federation. You are on a mission to explore several new worlds.

On the way, your StarShip may encounter the hazards of space. You may be called upon to perform your secondary mission of keeping the StarLanes free from pirates. Although an uneasy truce exists with the Zangid Empire, each encounter with one of their vessels is potentially explosive.
Once you begin your voyage you must decide how your ship will be equipped. You must also choose your crew from the available manpower. You then set out on your exploration mission.

STAR EXPLORER is a role-play board game for as many as four players. It can even be played solitaire since competition is directed more against the universe as presented in the game than against the other players.

They player who completes his mission quickly and with a string of successful resolutions to encounters will do well.

The game contains:

A 17” x 22” mapsheet which contains the stellar display, space combat display, and a number of handy reference charts. This will be provided as four tiles for home printing, and as one sheet for printing at a print shop.
A 8.5” x 11” sheet of counters to be cut out that represent crew teams, ships, hazards, and planets.
A ship logsheet and planetary logsheet, to be printed for record keeping.
A 16 page rulebook.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Re: STAR EXPLORER!

Postby oldgamergeek » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:30 am

Good Job this game is just begging me buy it. :D score is Dan 5,00000 bazillion, rest of the universe nil.
"Our community is like a Heavy Metal concert, full of life and passion. Theirs is like a therapy session needing someone to tell them what to do and how to be happy."
oldgamergeek

Postby Morbius » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:17 am

This is really great news. Have you considered releasing this with Starships & Spacemen as a collector's edition?

Craig J. Brain
WardCo. Publishers of the world's first sci-fi RPG.
The WardCo. Online Store
Morbius

Postby gentleman john » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:01 pm

Release it as a physical product, and I can retire my copy! The box sides are beginning to fray.
gentleman john

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:33 pm

gentleman john wrote:Release it as a physical product, and I can retire my copy! The box sides are beginning to fray.

I've been looking into it. To be relatively cost effective I'd need to print up about 1000 units, sourcing components here and there. A big dollar investment for me that make a chunk of money unavailable for other projects. To move a large(ish) number they'd need to go into distribution, but in the meantime I'd have to assemble them and store them at home. So, I'm definitely looking into various options. there is a POD boardgame place out there but their board sizes are kind of weird. I might be able to work up something where you take two boards and place them side by side to make the play surface.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Vlark » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:52 pm

Might I suggest The Gramecrafter? It's like Lulu.com for board & card games.
Vlark

Postby gentleman john » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:32 pm

Goblinoid Games wrote:I've been looking into it. To be relatively cost effective I'd need to print up about 1000 units, sourcing components here and there. A big dollar investment for me that make a chunk of money unavailable for other projects. To move a large(ish) number they'd need to go into distribution, but in the meantime I'd have to assemble them and store them at home. So, I'm definitely looking into various options. there is a POD boardgame place out there but their board sizes are kind of weird. I might be able to work up something where you take two boards and place them side by side to make the play surface.

Well, if you want to start up a 100/500/1000 club, I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. All I ask is you put the finished game in a padded box and post it out to me (me paying the postage of course).

While I would still buy a pdf version of it for home assembly, I know I wouldn't get the same quality as from even a semi-pro build. I've tried building Worldworks products, and I know I'm a klutz with a craft knife.
gentleman john

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:00 pm

Vlark wrote:Might I suggest The Gramecrafter? It's like Lulu.com for board & card games.

I'm aware of them but their game boards are oddly sized. On the other hand with some reformatting I might be able to make it work if two boards are put side by side. I'll look into this.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Omote » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:40 am

I MUST HAVE PRINT COPY!!!

~O
Omote

Postby jeff » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:48 pm

Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Did I miss it? Am I late? Will it be here any minute? Oh boy, I can hardly wait!
jeff

Next

Return to Star Explorer