New to the Crypt.

For discussion of the new official Pacesetter horror game!

New to the Crypt.

Postby MoonSylver » Mon Mar 30, 2015 10:14 pm

Greeting all.

Used to be on the old LL boards, just now got around to re-registering. Been interested in a horror rpg (that was NOT CoC) for some solo gaming. I'm planning on launching a "Supernatural", "BtVS", "Kolchack the Nightstalker" style monster hunter campaign. Never had a chance to play "Chill" back in the day, but after a lot of research on horror RPG's available I decided Chill/Cryptworld looked the most like what I was looking for, so I picked up CW over the weekend & started reading.

While on the subject of solo RPG'ing I'm curious if anyone has played Chill/CW solo, & if so, what your experiences were, or any advice slanted toward solo horror RPG'ing.

I have a lot of tools to facilitate solo RPG'ing in general (GM & NPC Emulators, Story dice & the like), & a lot geared toward D&D/Fantasy in particular. But I don't have a lot geared toward horror in general, much less none geared toward Chill/CW in particular.

One of the things I find most useful are lots of random tables. If anyone has any for Chill/CW I would be very grateful for pointing me in the right direction. Especially random adventure generators, random tables for Things, that sort of stuff. I have found at least one random horror story generator online thus far that may be of some use, but more is always welcome.

Looking forward to getting to know the system so that I can hopefully contribute more Things. I'm already jotting down ones that aren't in the book/haven't seen online just for that reason. ;)
MoonSylver

Re: New to the Crypt.

Postby sniderman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:27 am

Welcome to the forums, and welcome to Cryptworld! I think you're really going to like the system and the game. Now, I can't say I know much about solo gaming, though I did noodle around with the Mythus GM Emulator several times in the past. If you're looking at horror-based tables as well as a solo system, might I suggest taking a look at The Covetous Poet's Adventure Creator and Solo GM Guidebook? I use it primarily for its adventure creator sections, though it does have a solo GM section. I took the horror adventure creator out for a spin and actually randomly created a pretty awesome gamescript. You can read all about how it came together in a series over on my blog:

http://savageafterworld.blogspot.com/se ... A%20Module
sniderman

Postby MoonSylver » Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:56 pm

Thanks Tim!

Mythic GME is my favored tool of choice for this purpose, though I am keen to to try CRGE (Conjectural Roleplaying GM Emulator) from the same author as a couple of my other favorites UNE (Universal NPC Emulator) & BOLD (Book of Legends & Deeds; Universal PC Stories and Deeds Generator).

Combine them with the author of Mythic's "The Location Crafter" & other randomizers of choice (Like Rory's Story Cubes) & you've got a good solid foundation to handle all of the GM duties (as long as you can contextually interpret the results & let them help drive the narrative).

In fact, they may be enough that maybe I don't really NEED any more... :)

That said, I have been very curious about "The Covetous Poet's Adventure Creator and Solo GM Guidebook". It might be the missing ingredient that I'm feeling like I need. Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll check it out. ;)

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/145426/CRGE-Conjectural-Roleplaying-GM-Emulator

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/134163/UNE-The-Universal-NPC-Emulator-rev?manufacturers_id=7251

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/137746/BOLD-Universal-PC-Stories-and-Deeds-Generator?manufacturers_id=7251
MoonSylver

Postby J.L. Duncan » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:00 am

Blog looks like good stuff!

I'm going to have to get back to it; but added to page favorites...

Thanks for the share!
Publishing Credit
KoDT-Deadly Trappings: #202, #203, #205, #209, #210, #212, #214 & #222
KoDT-Indy Game Scene: #222 & #223
Palladium Books Rifter: #62, #64 & #67
J.L. Duncan

Return to CRYPTWORLD