The Mines of Khunmar

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Re: The Mines of Khunmar

Postby foxroe » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:41 pm

austrodavicus wrote:Two more posts and you're there foxroe. I've pm'd you my email address.

Dave

Cool, thanks! Hey, one more post to go!
-Fox
foxroe

Postby irishspear » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:12 am

I'm very late to the Khunmar party (and the OSR in general). I'd frankly given up on D&D and RPG's a long while back before recently blundering into the old school goodness of retro-clones. I'm starting an LL game in the near future and have been drawing up some maps on graph paper. I decided to do some internet research to try to improve my style and found some really great stuff out there, such as Dyson Logos' maps. I happened across a scrap of one of the Khunmar maps and was blown away by how evocative it was. I love the little touches, like directional indicators for which way doors open, and the chance to detect secret doors drawn right on the maps. I'd love to get my hand on the maps, for admiration and emulation rather than actual use. The fact that they are unkeyed is a bonus. I have no doubt I'll step up and buy the creator's commercial version if/when it becomes available. I bought (and love) Michael Curtis' Stonehell for inspiration -- I've been eating this stuff up since being turned onto the OSR.

Meanwhile, if there's anyone out there with a copy of the once freely distributed hand drawn Khunmar material, pretty please? It's become a quest for me, kind of like the search for De Umbrarum Regni Novem Portis in El Club Dumas (amazing book, by the way). Seriously, please. My sanity may depend on it.
irishspear

Postby elf23 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:01 pm

Email sent... :)
elf23

Postby Spanningtree » Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:25 am

If you google: khunmar_digest.pdf -blindspot

It yields: http://amazan.free.fr/d_et_d/khunmar_digest.zip

Very cool module!
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby rredmond » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:59 am

That's it in all it's glory. Good stuff!
DOWNLOAD THE NEW ISSUE -- FREE NOW!
CLICK ON THE BANNER BELOW!!
Oak Rapp - screaming "die" in orcish b/c it sounds cooler.
Phaser on stun *pew pew*. Phaser on kill *poo poo*!
rredmond

Postby gleepwurp » Fri Nov 22, 2013 9:24 pm

I don't know if anyone is still following this thread, but I am rewriting Mines of Khunmar --- if I ever finish it, it will (hopefully) be ready in 2014 or 2015. Design notes and pointless bloviating here: http://aldeboran.blogspot.com/search/label/Mines%20of%20Khunmar

If you want a copy of the maps and notes I released years ago, a pdf is linked on the aldeboran blog.

I'm adding a few levels, trying to fix up some of the bland/boring parts and fix a LOT of mistakes.
gleepwurp

Postby rredmond » Fri Nov 22, 2013 11:43 pm

That's excellent!
What's the plan for it?
Are you changing anything or just sprucing it up?
Thanks,
--Ron--
rredmond

Postby gleepwurp » Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:50 pm

What's the plan for it?
Are you changing anything or just sprucing it up?
Thanks,
--Ron--

Well, I suppose I would say that my plans for it are evolving. There were a couple 'problems' with the original --- I kind of drew it as I went along, never really intending it for publication, so the notes aren't really clear to anyone but me (and some of the notes are also dead drop uninteresting, i.e.: monster name, HP totals, treasure). Plus some of the maps don't fit together right, so that needs to be corrected. And I wanted to make sure that it was clear to the reader how the different sections connect to each other --- in the original, I was inconsistent with my lettering/numbering system and some people who have tried to print out the maps from the pdf digest have emailed me with questions.
Then, to make it 'publishable' (as in something I can legally distribute AND be something that I want to put my name on) I have to take out all the references to i.p. protected mind flayers and beholders and whatnot, which has actually been a big spur to creativity since I have taken another look at sections of the dungeon and why certain creatures might be there... I've had some fun doing the 'development' part, but by bit, and over the past few years some new ideas have started to come together. Finally, I really want to get the manuscript done to the point that I can start illustrating it. That is the part that I am really looking forward to. I've already done some illos that I like, but have decided to hold off on doing more until I get the manuscript done and the layout roughed out.
I'll probably give folks the option of just getting the maps and stocking it themselves (which might be the best use of the dungeon anyway --- part of the fun of D&D is stocking the dungeon, right?).
gleepwurp

Postby rredmond » Sat Nov 23, 2013 2:29 pm

Thanks. Can't wait to see it!
--Ron--
rredmond

Postby jackel » Sat Nov 23, 2013 4:57 pm

I am unfamiliar with the Mines of Khunmar. I have looked at your blog. I am looking forward to the reboot.
jackel

PreviousNext

Return to Labyrinth Lord