Teenage Mutant Cavemen

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Teenage Mutant Cavemen

Postby JDJarvis » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:07 pm

I'm posting guidelines for A Teenage Mutant Caveman campaign over on my blog. http://aeonsnaugauries.blogspot.com/2011/09/i-was-teenage-mutant-caveman.html

It' a fun spin on Post-apocalypse adventures with some precedence in film to varying degrees of success (and viewer groans) and it's come up in comics and fiction occasionally. The players are young members of an ignorant caveman tribe living long after the end of civilization. The dinosaurs and monsters they face are (unknown to them) a host of mutations and natural animals and the wider world has more dangers than the characters are aware of. There's room for a rebuild civilization theme to a campaign or thrusting the stone-age savages into a brave new world they have no clue about whatsoever, some folks might even just enjoy playing mutant cavemen without wider reaching adventures.
JDJarvis

Re: Teenage Mutant Cavemen

Postby JDJarvis » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:15 pm

Here's a collection of notes on mutants and beasts to be found in The Valley of The People. Sure to be fleshed out later but I figured sharing this here was cool.

Spiderys - undomesticated spiderys from my mutant mounts post.

Spidergoat- as per rulebook, greatly feared but considered tasty.

Sham- sheep with a crusty coral-like shell instead of wool. AC 2. 1 HD. Move: 90(30)

Snail, spiked- large spike shelled snails. (use war snail as base). avoided except when desperate.

Forest Ants- smaller variations of The Giant Ant, their bite has a poison which overwhelms the victim with pain causing them to writhe in agony as they are eaten alive. Two forest ants can provide a meal, they must be clubbed to death carefully (-2 to attack) so as to not ruin the meal. Forest ants killed by fire will provide a tasty meal as well.

Dactyls- sabre toothed albino bats. they prefer to attack at night but if their nests (often in caves) are disturbed they will quickly awaken an be dangerous.

Stone Bear- Big grey coated bears. use cave bear stats (more claw damage). Not hunted on purpose except for the end of winter and very early spring.

Boars- as boars in rule book. Boars have a mutation 33% of the time. Considered attractive but dangerous prey.

Boar, hideous.- unfortuanetly some tracked boars turn out to be hideous boars.

Mt. Cat- as mountain lion. they are hunted to remove danger and for pelts but aren't' considered good eating.

Marsh Cat- as sabre-toothed tiger. a much feared predator that also wanders into lowland forests.

Chicken wolf- as per rulebook.

Furry Crocigator, scaled crocigator- two variant crocodiles.Considered edible but not very tasty, not really worth the risk.

Fish, giant- as per rulebook, The People are not capable fishers.

Gamma Sloth- as per rulebook. The hides of the gamma sloth is an unexploited resource for armor.

Gammasaur- unintelligent cousins of the Gamma Wyrm, probably go with a few dinosaur descriptions

Hemofowl- as per rulebook, caveman don't know about properties of hemofowl eggs.

Red bucks, Three-horns, No-horns, Bigtails- Herd animals found in small herds throughout the valley.

Lizard, Giant- as per rulebook

Worm-men- skinny Morlocks with only rudimentary weapons. they live on the opposite end of the valley from The People.

Pigasaurus- a porcine devourer from rulebook with twice the hitdice.

Purpa- large purple squirrels no thereat to Teenage Mutant cavemen, good-eating. AC 6, HD: 1, move : 150'(50')

Quill Cat- as per rulebook, greatly feared, considered bad omen.

Screech Bush- as per rulebook, ruins hunting for rest of day within a mile with a -20% tracking penalty to find prey.

Slunks- as per rulebook, NPCs of the peopel must ale morale check or flee upon sighting these creatures.

Snake- Furred Choker, - a large furred snake that even hunts in winter and crushes prey to death
snake- Death Dart- he death dart is a small 2' long poisonous snake.

Yellow Spider- a very poisonous 1 HD spider only about 1' across.

Weasel, giant- as per rulebook

Slug-horns- Xeno-cattle as per rulebook.
JDJarvis

Postby Malcadon » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:46 pm

I like the premiss. It reminds me of the Apeman scenario from 2001: A Space Odyssey (an old Star Frontiers module). I like the idea of players starting off dirt-ignorant to everything, without a sense of modern morality, and all the while having to survive with sub-standard equipment. Damn good work, man! 8-)
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby JDJarvis » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:43 pm

I've posted an unkeyed map for the Teenage Mutant Caveman campaign outline.

http://aeonsnaugauries.blogspot.com/201 ... ounds.html
JDJarvis

Postby JDJarvis » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:19 pm

Encounter tables posted over the weekend. I used a "revolutionary" technique where the same table can be used for general random encounters and for encounters while hunting. 1d8 for wandering about 1d12 for hunting with the tables set-up to reflect a better chance of encountering prey while actively hunting, some places are actually a little more dangerous to stick around in and look for game however.
JDJarvis

Return to Mutant Future