Welcome to Daggerford!

badams30's Labyrinth Lord p=b-p game.

Moderator: badams30

Welcome to Daggerford!

Postby badams30 » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:59 am

It is a typical early fall day, breezy, yet still warm when the sun is out, making your travels that much easier. You have arrived at the town of Daggerford, a walled community built against the side of a low hill. The town surrounds a small yet solid looking castle that must be the Duke's residence. The town looks as most in this area do - newer buildings made of stone, and older buildings made of wood and some masonry. All in all, a typical stronghold town of the north.

You enter the town through the smaller Farmer's Gate facing the fields outside the walled town. From what you've heard, this is the main gate that is normally open 24/7, and as you enter, a couple of rather pedestrian looking guards in studded leather armor with spears greet you with an oddly friendly "welcome to Daggerford! Please enjoy your stay!"

As you continue on into town, eager to get a meal, drink, and a room to ease your weary backs, you pass through what is obviously a outdoor marketplace, closing for the evening. As you look around, just about to ask for directions to somewhere welcoming, you see a sign ahead on a large two-story structure that looks like it could have been a warehouse at one time - the sign is weathered, but says "Lady Luck Tavern." It looks clean, and as welcoming an establishment as any you've seen in your travels as of late, so you decide to enter and see what awaits.

As you walk through the door, the first thing you notice is the pleasant aroma of well-cooked food and the clanking of tankards, coupled with the happy banter of the roughly 15-20 occupants. You also can't help but notice a large stone column set in the middle of the floor, inscribed with many names and unique symbols. The walls of the main inn room are covered with weapons, armor and various trophies, including a stuffed hind end of what appears to be a cow, mounted on a platform in the back.

As you enter, most of the patrons pay you little notice, a handful smile and nod, a couple say "hello" and they mostly appear to be common folk, farmers and the lot. No one out of the ordinary except for a large man sitting in the back near the stuffed cow, with a dark hood pulled low over his head, quietly eating dinner, or trying to, as two children are excitedly talking to him, politely asking him about orcs, goblins and other things, he seems to be good naturedly talking to them, in low, halting tones, but you can't quite make out what he's saying. Across from the hooded stranger, two dirty travellers sit nearby, with a brace of empty tankards around them. They are laughing, and appear to be staring at the hooded man and his youthful companions, apparently making light of them, but you aren't quite sure. They are obviously drunk, and by the look of their gear, appear to be teamsters.

Before you can compose yourself, A man of medium build, with long brown hair and a leather apron comes from behind the bar, smiling and motioning to a large table that can seat up to 10. Although you've all been travelling together, you aren't really a group, and you've exchanged pleasantries, but this gentleman obviously thinks you are a party. Before you can say anything, he says in a booming voice "Welcome! Welcome travellers, rest your weary feet, here, I've a table just for you. Sit, SIT!.." as he motions you to be seated, he nods to the armored Paladin in your group, and says quickly to him, "welcome, man of Torm. Glad to have you among us." And then he quickly carries on toward the others. "What'll it be, friends? Our ale is cheap and the best you'll find south of the City of Splendors, and our roasted beef and mutton will surely please your empty bellies! And if a room is what you need, you've come to the right place. What'll it be?" You all look at each other questioningly, and the innkeep smiles patiently, awaiting your orders and/or questions.

OOC: The first few posts may be a bit long in length, but once you get used to the locale and we get moving, it'll pick up quickly.. I promise.
badams30

Re: Welcome to Daggerford!

Postby Spanningtree » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:51 am

Nahin - Hungry Elf

Nahin will take a seat looking at the barman. I think I'll take a tankard of ale... plus some beef and whatever vegetables you have. What do you offer for overnight stay? Lowering his voice he will nod to the sinister looking gent in the back: Who might that be?
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby tumblingdice » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:55 am

Rory sits down one seat away from Nahin. "Ale, huh?" he asks. "I'll have some wine. Red, please. Leave the bottle."
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby kjc » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:21 am

Jayce - Fighter

Thank you innkeep, if they will allow, gesturing at the others at the table, a round of ale for my travelling companions. We need to wash the road from our throats. Taking a seat so that he may watch both the teamsters and the front entrance. Something smells wonderful, bring me some roasted beef and...potatoes? "I don't even want to know what they do with that cow when the ale is flowing around here." He thinks to himself, grimacing. Fellows, I am Jayce Barcel, lately of Waterdeep. Might I know who I bought ale for this day?
Last edited by kjc on Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby Atomic Ray » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:28 am

Han Overfist - surly Augur (cleric)

(makes his way to the bartender, pulls out a soft leather sack, lays out the contents)

"Großvater ein Wort bitte" (old speak respectful request of notice)

"I have well crafted and balanced tools for games of chance to offer...may we consider trade in kind?"

"Northern Red Deer antler dice"

"Cave Tiger Saber Tooth spinning die (6")"

"Honey Bear bone tiles, a full set"

"I have other items, but as the sign says...Lady Luck...do you currently have games of chance under this roof?"

" I would not want to offend if not allowed"

"Perhaps a months worth of meals?"

"We could try a quick game to settle the bargain and generate interest from the crowd...happy patrons stay longer and drink more ale"

(accidentally flashes his badge of office, minor that it might be...gaming tools made by an augur of Tymora, Goddess of Luck...this does not happen by chance...)
Last edited by Atomic Ray on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Atomic Ray » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:49 am

Han Overfist, Augur of Tymora
(scans over the crowd)

(notes the elf eating meat)

(to the innkeeper)
"I thought that elves only ate sunshine and flowers (smiles and a wink)"
Last edited by Atomic Ray on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby connivingsumo » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:30 am

An unfriendly presence lurks, though Dak lacks the skills to communicate his intuition.

He is not sure, but believes he is being made fun of, ridiculed, taunted.

Rage builds and is held in check... the children.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby Atomic Ray » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:48 am

Han Overfist, Augur

"Ah a friendly face"

(to Dak in orc)
"{Brother, come sit with me}"
Last edited by Atomic Ray on Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby connivingsumo » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:08 am

DAK

The hooded figure rises and gently sends the children off. As he walks towards the human that spoke Orc, he glares at the table of teamsters making fun of him.

He approaches the human speaking Orc.

"I talk common... don't need Orc."

"Why do you ask me to sit here?"
...his hood remains pulled down.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby Atomic Ray » Sun Mar 04, 2012 6:49 am

Han Overfist

"Just being friendly"

"Sit or stand, it is the same to me"

"Would you like to roll some dice?"

"Just to pass the time"

"Some cheese?"

― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Next

Return to Forgotten Realms: Northlands of Adventure