Making crossbows more powerful

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Making crossbows more powerful

Postby YamItheonly1 » Mon Mar 30, 2015 3:06 pm

Hey guys i was wondering what you do to make crossbows more powerful, or if you even do. With the base rules (no AEC) crossbows are near pointless when compared to the bows. I have been thinking of a few ways to change this. So far I have come up with 2 ideas, idea number 1 changing both crossbows in different ways and idea 2 changing them in the same ways.

Idea 1: Light crossbows can be loaded and fired in the same round or loaded and a movement action taken. They would also be able to be fired with 1 hand but lose out on the close range bonus to hit. The heavy crossbow would deal exploding die damage (meaning that if you rolled an 8 on the damage die you get to roll again, but only once).

Idea 2: Light and Heavy crossbows increase the damage die by one, and use the exploding dice rule as above for Heavy crossbows when in close range.

Has anyone here used rules like this or different rules for buffing crossbows? What worked and what didn't?
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
YamItheonly1

Re: Making crossbows more powerful

Postby hjmartin70 » Wed Apr 01, 2015 3:46 am

I allow anyone with 18 STR to operate a crossbow one step faster. i.e. a light crossbow has a ROF of 2 and a heavy crossbow has a ROF of 1. Those individuals are strong enough to span a light crossbow by hand quickly and a heavy crossbow with a goatsfoot fast enough for the stated increase.
hjmartin70

Postby bighara » Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:47 pm

I don't allow a long bow to be used from horseback.
bighara

Postby by_the_sword » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:01 am

You could allow a crossbow to be used by anyone, since it did not require the same amount of training as a bow. It still requires some skill to use effectively, which would be reflected in a character's attack roll, i.e. Fighter-types would still be better at using it. But the Magic User could still load and fire a crossbow.

Also, an advantage of the crossbow is that it can be cocked and ready to fire at a moments notice. Where a bow could only be held drawn for a limited amount of time. Perhaps giving an initiative bonus to a character with a cocked crossbow would offset the slow reloading time?
by_the_sword

Postby YamItheonly1 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:39 pm

I was already using the rule where a loaded crossbow gets first attack (after surprise of course). I completely forgot about allowing anyone to use a crossbow.
[CENTER]Image[/CENTER]
YamItheonly1

Postby Omote » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:09 pm

I can't remember the exact rule, but in the Birthright Campaign Setting there was a rule that crossbows fired against plate or chain types of armors reduced the target's AC for 2 or 4 to represent the penetrating power of the bolt. To make it easier, just give the crossbow a +X to hit against heavy armor types.

~O
Omote

Postby ArcherSix » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:03 am

I just put them in the hands of 20 or 30 city guardsmen, seems to do the trick.

Oh, you mean for the players. lol

Just remember, however you crank up the power on the player's crossbows, that phalanx of crossbow armed city guards(or kobolds or whatever) will be likewise empowered!
ArcherSix

Return to Labyrinth Lord