Famine in Far-go

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Re: Famine in Far-go

Postby Blood axe » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:34 pm

I think what killed it was their attempt to sell packs of cards separately for the game. I know I didn't like the idea. I have all 3 of the box sets, but not a single pack of the "collectible" cards.
They sold "booster" packs for $3-4 each. if I want to buy a bunch of boosters , hoping to get a good card, I'll play Magic. I don't.

Check EBAY, you can usually find a good deal on the new Gamma world boxes. Some decent art, interesting ideas, but I'll play Mutant future instead. But some of the ideas are useful in a GW , MF game.
The totally random character generation can be fun. If your players don't mind that kind of thing. If they want to choose what they play, then they will not.

The Basic GW set has 20 character types, Famine has another 20 types, Legion of Gold another 10. You can use them all, mix & match. There are a lot of types, Demons, Undead, Radioactive, Alien, Vampire, Seismic, Divine, A.I., Plant, Pyromaniacs, etc,etc. Its more of "crossed realities" than "post-apoc".
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Blood axe » Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:51 pm

Basic GW

1 android
2 cockroach
3 doppleganger
4 electrokinetic
5 empathy
6 felinoid
7 giant
8 gravity controller
9 hawkoid
10 hypercognitive
11 mindbreaker
12 mind coercer
13 plant
14 pyrokinesis
15 radioactive
16 rat swarm
17 seismic
18 speedster
19 telekinetic
20 yeti

---------------------

Famine in Far-Go

1 A.I.
2 Alien
3 Arachnoid
4 Cryokinetic
5 Ectoplasmic
6 Entropic
7 Exploding
8 Fungoid
9 Gelatinous
10 Magnetic
11 Mythic
12 Nightmare
13 Plaguebearer
14 Plastic
15 Prescient
16 Reanimated
17 Shapeshifter
18 Simian
19 Temporal
20 Wheeled

-----------------------------

Legion of Gold

1 Antimatter blaster
2 Demon
3 Octopoid
4 Photonic
5 Reanimator
6 Regenerator
7 Saurian
8 Vampiric

-------------------------------
Roll two dice to see which charts you roll from.

1 GW chart
2 GW chart
3 GW chart
4 GW chart
5 GW chart
6 Famine chart
7 Famine chart
8 Famine chart
9 Famine chart
10 Famine chart
11 Legion chart
12 Legion chart

Your background determines available powers. Some combos can get freaky, but that's the setting.
Mythic & Octopoid could be a Cthulhu offspring.
Vampiric Plant- blood sucking walking thorned rose bush.

Its up to the player to decide how the wacky results fit.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Malcadon » Tue Jun 25, 2013 6:12 am

Blood axe wrote:I have Legion of Gold too. I have to take a second look at it, if you say its that good. But I do really like Famine in Far-go. :D
I like the original art better. The new stuff seems a bit over the top. (for me anyway)

The only issue I have with LoG, is how the Baron give the players some powerful items before they get on their way. I recommend having the PCs start in a basic quest - namely, the intro-quest in the 1e rulebook where they are obligated to search on old site for their tribe - before dealing with LoG. Beyond that, its a nice classic site-based adventure, where the players get to explore lots of little nooks and crannies - not all are unrelated to the overall scenario, but thats OK - before they find the lair of the bad guys (FiF would instead, force the PCs to the next need location). I posted a lot more info about the The Barony of Horn right here.

Much like how Horn is set around Lake Geneva (or "Jen City" - the old home of TSR), Far-Go is set around real life Fargo, North Dakota - although the game map is noticeably different then the real life map. It still has The 10, and The 94, but the rivers have been altered to be the River of Blood (the Red River) and the Shi-Yen (Sheyenne) River, while Interstate 29 is now called "The Great Oad." They really highlight the agriculture in that area. I also like how the Badders worships Wisconsin university mascot Buckingham U. "Bucky" Badger as an idol.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Postby shart2069 » Tue Jun 25, 2013 10:32 pm

I still remember the first time I read through Famine in Far-Go (about the early 1990's or so?).

What I remember the most was at one point, I was literally rolling on the floor going "GIANT ... MUTANT ... CHICKENS!"

It probably took me 10 or 15 minutes to recover and keep on reading.

Wish I'd been able to get anybody to actually play GW at some point in the last 28 years.
BLOG: https://almostoldschool.wordpress.com/

http://www.meetup.com/Hudson-Valley-Labyrinth-Looters/

"There are three objectives in D&D: collecting treasure, gaining experience points and, most importantly, staying alive." - What is Dungeons & Dragons? p.86
shart2069

Postby narpet » Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:16 am

once you provided the link... I did remember this. Now I'm going to have to buy it, just because I'm kind of a goofy completist. I need to own every edition of Gamma World... :)

Looks like my kids might like playing it.
narpet

Previous

Return to Mutant Future