Rules questions

For discussion of the original 1978 rules and for the revised second edition that is entering development.

Rules questions

Postby daddystabz » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:13 pm

I am reading on pg 26 about planetary adventures right now and am a bit confused about Initiative. In the order of combat events missile attacks are made before PSI attacks which are also made before melee attacks. Let's say that my character rolls a higher initiative score than the bad guy alien (I will use the optional individual initiative option) but I want to make a melee attack and the baddy wants to make a missile attack against me. Does this mean the bad guy gets to go before me despite my PC rolling higher than him for initiative?????

Also, can someone please explain to me how to use the chart for being aware of an invisible PC/NPC on pg 24? I have no idea how to use it.
daddystabz

Re: Rules questions

Postby daddystabz » Tue Nov 20, 2012 6:07 am

Also, 1 round is 10 seconds but 1 turn is 10 minutes. This seems incredibly odd to me and shouldn't it be the other way around?
daddystabz

Postby RAD Colin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:04 pm

daddystabz wrote:Also, 1 round is 10 seconds but 1 turn is 10 minutes. This seems incredibly odd to me and shouldn't it be the other way around?

Nope, the tradition of Turns being longer than Rounds (as seen in AD&D1e, AD&D2e, etc.) continues in old school retroclones and their spin-offs (including S&S2e).

Colin
Radioactive Ape Designs - Award-Nominated Publisher of Atomic Highway and other fine games!
RAD Colin

Postby RAD Colin » Tue Nov 20, 2012 2:12 pm

daddystabz wrote:I am reading on pg 26 about planetary adventures right now and am a bit confused about Initiative. In the order of combat events missile attacks are made before PSI attacks which are also made before melee attacks. Let's say that my character rolls a higher initiative score than the bad guy alien (I will use the optional individual initiative option) but I want to make a melee attack and the baddy wants to make a missile attack against me. Does this mean the bad guy gets to go before me despite my PC rolling higher than him for initiative?????

The key to your answer is step 8, where it states, "THE OTHER SIDES ACT THROUGH STEPS 4-7, IN ORDER OF INITIATIVE."
In other words, the winning side/individual with the highest result (depending on whether you're using group or individual initiative) goes through steps 4-7 first, then the next group/individual goes through steps 4-7, ad nauseum. Then, when every side or individual in the conflict has cycled through the actions available, you start the Initiative process again by declaring movement then rolling a new Initiative number. Yes, this means you roll Initiative each round.

Obviously, not all of the steps 4-7 will apply to every individual/group depending on what exactly they're doing, but if one person in an allied group is shooting a gun, and another is punching someone, the order basically just ensures that the shooting character goes before the punching one.

Not sure how to read the invisibility table myself, so I'm waiting for an answer to that one too.

Colin
Radioactive Ape Designs - Award-Nominated Publisher of Atomic Highway and other fine games!
RAD Colin

Postby Goblinoid Games » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:16 pm

Invisibility works just like the chart in the Advanced Edition Companion for Labyrinth Lord. The chart is used for the character/creature in question for whether it can detect that there is something invisible nearby.

So for example, you need to be at least 8th level/have 8d8 hits if a creatures, and INT 16-17 to even have a chance. If you are 11th level and have INT 18 you have a 35% chance of detecting that an invisible creature is present. SO both INT and level/hits factor into this.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby daddystabz » Fri Nov 23, 2012 5:11 am

Am I missing something? A 'round' is usually all the turns the PCs and NPCs make in a given round and a 'turn' is normally one particular player's turn or NPC so how can a turn be 10 times longer than the entire round??

As for initiative, I'm not fond of the default method. I will likely be using standard initiative as found in most games.

RAD Colin wrote:
daddystabz wrote:Also, 1 round is 10 seconds but 1 turn is 10 minutes. This seems incredibly odd to me and shouldn't it be the other way around?

Nope, the tradition of Turns being longer than Rounds (as seen in AD&D1e, AD&D2e, etc.) continues in old school retroclones and their spin-offs (including S&S2e).

Colin
daddystabz

Postby RAD Colin » Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:03 pm

daddystabz wrote:Am I missing something? A 'round' is usually all the turns the PCs and NPCs make in a given round and a 'turn' is normally one particular player's turn or NPC so how can a turn be 10 times longer than the entire round??

Yes, you're missing the fact that "Hey dude, it's your turn." during a Round is absolutely not the same thing as a Turn of time in the game. Similarly, an Interstellar Turn in the game is one day, not the same as a normal Turn. Stop trying to make sense of it or your brain will explode; it's Old School. :)

Colin
RAD Colin

Postby daddystabz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:40 pm

Another couple questions, this time regarding power. To turn a ship a number of hex faces during hyperstellar travel it costs 1 PPU per hax faced turned, correct?

Also, on pg 44 under Tractor and Pressor Beams it mentions that there is an energy cost depending on distance but never mentions how to calculate the cost. How is this determined?

Thanks again!
daddystabz

Postby Kathulos » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Given that all other power units are in groups of five, I would assume the cost of a hexside change would be 5 EU's per hexsuide.
On page 44 it gives the cost of Tractor and Pressor beams as 5 EU's per 12,500 miles.
Kathulos

Postby daddystabz » Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Your pg 44 must be different than the one in my PDF because mine doesn't list any costs at all.

Kathulos wrote:Given that all other power units are in groups of five, I would assume the cost of a hexside change would be 5 EU's per hexsuide.
On page 44 it gives the cost of Tractor and Pressor beams as 5 EU's per 12,500 miles.
daddystabz

Next

Return to Starships & Spacemen