Welcome to Daggerford!

badams30's Labyrinth Lord p=b-p game.

Moderator: badams30

Re: Welcome to Daggerford!

Postby kjc » Sun Sep 16, 2012 3:27 am

Jayce - Fighter

Jayce nodded slightly to the halflings and mage as Nahin continued with the introductions. "Maybe relax a little...enjoy a hot meal" he thought. Yet his hand never strayed far from the hilt of his weapon, his senses alert for trouble. "Sorry ...old habits" he whispered to Dak when he noticed the half-orc looking at him.
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby Atomic Ray » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:42 pm

Han Overfist, augur of Tymora

"Pickles eh?"

(Han pulls out a tri-folded sack, unfolds it, and reveals a treasure of hard cheese, dried sausages, and large goat skin...he opens the goat skin and releases the fine aroma of garlic and herb pickles)

"Please, enjoy"

(big smile)

(Han brings a sampling to Melvin and says in the old tongue)

"Dus vriend wizard wat heb je verloren"
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby greyarea » Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:41 am

Marcus, paladin

Marcus allows Han and Nahin handle the diplomacy. He says to Grinkle, Stay by me, little friend.
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:27 pm

The halflings noticibly relax as you assure them that you are all friendly. They do glance at Dak and Grinkle occasionally, but with more curiosity than hostility. When Nahin mentions that you come from a keep two days away, they look at each other questioningly and Braun says "A keep? That's odd, I don't know of any keep in these parts." He points to the area where they have their mounts tied up and says "Plenty of room to tie her up over there, and we've got enough feed to share if you need it." He speaks in a lower tone and says "Don't mind the goats... they travel with Melvin and are harmless. But they'll eat your hat or cloak of you let em' get too close to it."

Melvin smiles a broad grin as Han whips out his assortment of odorous treats and he says loudly, and with much apparent pleasure "Ah, a PICKLE! wonderful! Thank you, Man of Tymora." and he grabs a pickle, munching it like a man who hasn't eaten in weeks. And with a mouth full of pickle, he looks at Han in reply to his question and says "Eh? Erm lerkin' fer muh cat." and he shuffles off toward his wagon, making odd noises you'd associate to be his pleasure with consuming a pickle.

The halflings clear you some space on the logs they are sitting on, and motion to the food to the side. There is plenty left, and it smells very good. The halflings wait for you to dish yourselves up, and then they file in for seconds. Braun has one of his men pull out a half full cask and says with a mischevious grin "Shhhh, don't tell our client that we tapped into his cargo." And he continues "Uh, I mean, umm... we seem to have lost a cask of this fine brandy." As you settle in to eat and drink, Braun belatedly replies to your questions: We are on our way to Red Larch with our cargo of consumables." He points to the sky and says "Winter's coming early this year, I can feel it. We've got to cram in at least 2-3 more trips before the cold and snow makes it too difficult for wagons." He looks your group over and says "Adventurers, by the look of you all. Not much happening in Red Larch, and I'd hope you aren't heading much north of that, lest you get snowed in when the cold comes. Where are you all from, anyway?

Braun will make small talk, and seems to enjoy chatting with outsiders. You can ask him any questions you wish. Melvin seems to have retired to his cart, as you can see him through the open back door of it, seemingly holding a conversation with a candle, and pointing his finger at the sky and making circles...

Grinkle consumes a plate of food and is quickly off in the fading light, brushing and feeding Ruby, and setting up your shelter....
badams30

Postby greyarea » Mon Sep 17, 2012 3:56 pm

Marcus, paladin

Marcus concentrates on Detecting Evil among this band.
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:11 pm

No evil. Although if you had "Detect crazy old guy" it would be going nuts on Melvin.
badams30

Postby greyarea » Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:01 pm

Marcus, paladin

Marcus greets the halflings and old man. Thank you for inviting us to dine with you. Winter coming early could make life hard for many in the realm. I'm glad to hear that things at Red Larch are calm for the moment. It should allow them to set up adequate stores for the winter. Where do you come from and what is your trade?

Once Grinkle is done setting things up, Marcus will invite the little guy to sit next to him.
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:55 pm

Braun says "Where am I from?" and chuckles a bit. "Unfortunately, not from anywhere, really. We are constantly on the move between Waterdeep, The Goldenfields, Red Larch, and occasionally, if the coin is good, Neverwinter. But lately just Waterdeep and Red Larch. Not very exciting, but stable money. And we've been lucky. Goblins and Ogres have been harassing the tradeway for the past year, but we've only been hit once, and by Tymora's blessing (he nods at Han, smiling) "we killed six or seven of em, and they beat it. Haven't seen a thing since."

"Our trade? We are just teamsters. I know what you are thinking, but don't let our size fool you, we are an efficient bunch. And with Melvin on our flank, why... the thought of a powerful wizard in our employ usually serves to keep the miscreants at bay." He chuckles, and says "Melvin may not look like much, but when he needs em', his wits are usually handy. It's just the other 99% of the time that he's, uh... preoccupied. He's been around. Some say he's even been to the land of the dead, but I don't know about that." He get's very quiet and says "I'll tell you this - once when it was just Melvin and me, comin' to meet the boys at Goldenfields, we saw this giant, big, ugly giant. Warts, club, the whole thing, coming toward us. I thought we were goners, but Melvin, he was looking for his damn cat again, and then just like that "POOF!" He shoots this huge ball of fire at the giant, he runs off, ablaze, screamin' like a little girl. I tried to talk to him about it, he acted like it never happend. He's a good man, though. Knows alot about the North and it's lore. Some say he's almost as smart as that Elminster sage, but I wouldn't know."

Braun says "So what brings you all up here? And what keep are you speaking of? I know this area like the back of my hairy hand, and I don't know of any keep within 3 days ride. And a bunch like you, heading to Red Larch? You want adventure, you need to head south. Or get warmer clothes." His smile fades and he says "Not trying to scare you, sir, but I'm serious. If you intend to be here more than 2 weeks or so, you need to buy some cold weather gear. Once it snows, it'll sell quick and for inflated price, and no new stuff will come up. Just a suggestion."

"Oh, and if you decide to stay in Red Larch, might I recommend the Rusty Blade? It might not look like much, but it's better. Somethin' about the Gold Crown just makes me uncomfortable. It's nice though.

As Grinkle finishes the shelter and tending to Ruby, Braun leans over toward Marcus and says in a whisper, "What's the story with that fella? I didn't get a good look at him, but I know what he is." He looks down and sighs and says "A priest of Torm saved my life once. Back in my adventuring days. I trusted him, and I trust you. But you need to keep that fella close to you, especially in town. People can be jumpy at times, and with the goblin threat about, they may act rashly. Just saying."

Braun sips his brandy, and the sun sets, and as if to punctuate his remarks about the winter, a cold, biting breeze starts to blow, and you all draw your cloaks and robes a bit tighter, and huddle a bit closer to the fire. Grinkle comes and sits indian style next to Marcus, munching contentedly on some food. You notice the halflings watching him, but again - they seem to just be in a state of surprise.
badams30

Postby greyarea » Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:11 pm

Marcus, paladin

Thank you for your words of caution, Braun. Just as I am under Torm's protection, Grinkle here is under mine. Torm rewards those who are dutiful and serve, especially those who serve the cause of Law. Grinkle is learning to respect Law and he is dutiful beyond measure. By his actions he saved our lives, thus we defend him.

Marcus motions to Dak, still looking at Braun. Dak here was tormented for his appearance. Grinkle was cast aside for his size and temperament. But they travel with us and adventure with us and are equal with us because we are the Dutybound, the Champions of the Downtrodden. His voice rises as he speaks, commanding the fullness of his charisma.

He nods for a few seconds, pondering his words. Then he smiles and looks at his companions. Yes, I like the sound of that.
greyarea

Postby Spanningtree » Tue Sep 18, 2012 4:46 am

Nahin - Elf

Nahin smiles at the diplomacy power of pickles.

Were coming back from Rassalar's place, it's a small keep a few days out. Thank you very much for the excellent food and spirit. He will say taking a helping and sitting down. Now onto Red Larch, I would think we would not be long though.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

PreviousNext

Return to Forgotten Realms: Northlands of Adventure