Mechanics

For discussion of the fantasy RPG WIZARDS' WORLD.

Mechanics

Postby 1970 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:58 am

Could anyone give me a quick rundown on the WW system? I'm not looking for a complete breakdown, but I am trying to get a feel as to whether or not to get it. Thanks.

Re: Mechanics

Postby 1970 » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:26 am

Nevermind, I found a review at RPG.net and decided to order it anyway.

Thanks for looking.

Postby Skathros » Thu Oct 17, 2013 8:49 pm

If you have any specific questions, please feel free to ask. I'll do my best to answer. As president of the "Wizards World Kicks Butt Society", it's the least I can do ;)
WIZARDS' LORE: A Wizards' World fan site & home to Dungeon Delving Games.
OSRWTF: A more critical look at the movement from a disenchanted fan.
Skathros

Postby Spectral Hand » Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:43 pm

Hey, Skathros! It's great to see you are still out there. Haven't seen anything going on around here in a while.

1970: If you have questions about mechanics once you look through WW, I'd be happy to offer my take as well.
Spectral Hand

Postby Skathros » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:22 pm

Spectral Hand wrote:Hey, Skathros! It's great to see you are still out there. Haven't seen anything going on around here in a while.

Hey David! Still here, and still running WW every second week (more or less)! I wouldn't worry about the silence. Everyone knows that really great games take about 30 years or so for the masses to realize how truly awesome the game is. So i'm thinking WW's time is just around the corner! My group would rather play WW than AD&D (although we're mostly a B/X group), which is a testament to the game's strength.

Stuff my players love about WW (over AD&D):

-Magic. They love everything about how magic works in WW.
-% instead of d20.
-Armour absorbs damage and defence makes you harder to hit!
-The cool classes...i mean professions. Attacker, defender, and jesters are personal favourites in my group!
-Demon Halflings. Seriously, Demon Halflings!
-Intervals. Sure, they can get a little wonky at times, but my players love 'em.

Stuff the I (personally and in my humble opinion) would like to see addressed in a revised edition:

Attributes displayed as a # of dice/type of die/bonuses as opposed to range. For example Metamrphic Dwarves roll 2d8+2 for AGL as opposed to 2-16+2. Mind you, it's not deep math but...
Monsters stated as average examples of their races as opposed to a range of attributes. That way, you can have everything already factored in with regards to att. and how they affect secondary stats. Less time consuming.

Other than that, the game is golden!
Skathros

Postby 1970 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:05 am

Actually, I think it was the Demon Halflings that sold me on the game.

Thanks for offering to help out should I get confused.

Copy shipped today! :D

Postby Skathros » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:26 pm

Remember to post your thoughts on the game. I'd love to hear what you think!
Skathros

Postby Spectral Hand » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:48 pm

Skathros -- I missed your previous reply on this thread, and there are a few things I want to touch on.

The magic system is my favorite, too. That system is the main reason we felt compelled to publish WW -- we hoped it would catch on with the mainstream gaming community.

I agree with you about the improvements regarding attributes (PC and monster). I think we weren't careful enough to make the game user-friendly in some ways, particularly making GMs calculate all the secondary stats for their monsters.

I'm pretty sure any revision will also have a modified interval system. I like characters showing micro-progress (e.g., my Attacker gained 3% to his longsword skill with the experience from the last battle, even though he didn't level), but I want to fix some balance issues with the interval system as originally designed.

I do still have delusions of doing a revised edition, but more setbacks than progress of late. I'm also not happy with the changes I had started on. I like that it takes a bit of time and effort to create characters, but some of the changes I was making required on-the-fly calculations in-game that I think would slow things down too much.
Spectral Hand

Postby Skathros » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:23 pm

Hey David!

I agree on the magic system front, but it really is more than just the magic system that has made WW "our" choice for "advanced" gaming (meaning, when we're not doing basic). Combat is a blast! Char.gen., and levelling (by virtue of intervals) is really neat. The whole game plays really fast. The only snag is inserting critters on the fly in an adventure. It requires a little work and time which might not jive with how quick the rest of the rules play out. To remedy that, I created a doc with all the critters from the rulebook stated out as "averages" of their race/type.

we hoped it would catch on with the mainstream gaming community.

Well, when you think about it, 30 years after the game's release, people are still here talking up the game. That's better than most games, right ;)
Skathros

Postby Spectral Hand » Thu Nov 07, 2013 5:14 pm

Wow, so you already have a doc with average stats for rulebook critters. Awesome job! I never managed to get myself that organized, despite running a LOT of WW games.

And good point about WW still being around 30 years later. It definitely made me happy to think about it that way, thanks! :D
Spectral Hand

Next

Return to WIZARDS' WORLD