An Interlude

greyarea's Labyrinth Lord game

Moderator: greyarea

Re: An Interlude

Postby badams30 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:18 am

Grimes - FIghter

Grimes stands by while Dieter tells the tale, and when he reaches the part about Bars, he smiles and says "I killed him dead. Cut 'im reaaaal good."
Then he stands by, waiting to see what will happen next.
badams30

Postby greyarea » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:33 am

Grüber considers what you've told him. I will have someone look at these papers myself. Thank you for bringing them to us. If you've killed this Bars or Tolvik or whomever, then maybe the danger these Haberdashers pose isn't as immediate as it appeared at first. That said...

He is interrupted by the door opening and Jayson leading in a lightly armored man with markings of the town guard. A third person, a tiny man with mole-like black eyes, follows, slinking around the side and avoiding everyone's gaze to get behind the desk. His black hair parts and the pointed ears of a half-elf are visible.

Ahh, we were just going to talk about you. This fellow is the Captain of the Guard, he says, indicating the lightly armored man. He then says to the Captain, These chaps are the ones we told you about, that rescued Aiden. They have come to tell us about the resurgance of the Haberdashers, who are trying to gain a foothold in our town once again.

As he speaks, the half-elf is casting a spell. Dieter recognizes the intonations of Read Languages and then the little fellow sets about reading all of the documents handed over. Both Grüber and the Captain ignore this. The Captain of the Guard thanks you profusely for bringing it to his attention and vows to follow up as best they can. He mentions that he lost a few men to an ogre just the other day, so they're still kind of recovering from that.

Grüber cuts in, Yes, the ogres. And an ogre magi? That could be trouble. But unless we know where they are headed...

The half-elf interrupts, Not according to these documents. Just something about an old manor.

Grüber sighs. Yes, until we know where the ogres are headed, we don't know where to send you. That is, if you want the job. We will just buttress our patrols and let you know what we discover.

He laughs a bit. As for this place getting attention, Sir Taris' lands are near the borderlands of the Realm. In the less populated areas we get all kinds of things. A few years ago we had both a cockatrice and a basilisk staking out new territory. Scared the pants off of some of the farmers. We sent a few mercenaries out there to deal with it. Turns out it didn't need dealing with: they'd turned each other to stone. Damnedest thing. And we've had troll and bugbear sightings before, as well as an owlbear wo got into town. You think your friends are the first ones Father has raised from the dead?

All that said, we are very glad you brought this to our attention. We will investigate further. If you happen to find where the ogres are congregating, please feel free to dispatch them. We can reward you if you bring back some sort of proof. Of course, ogres tend to carry their own reward in sacks, do they not?

The Captain of the Guard smiles at that.

Actions?
greyarea

Postby Spanningtree » Fri Jan 18, 2013 3:53 am

Dieter - Mage

I think if we can find some individuals to bolster our ranks we will take the job.... considering the damage incurred by our last incursion into the mountain I don't think it would be asking to much for 3 draughts of enhanced healing, room/board until we depart and horses/tack for all members. Also, any information concerning the old manor house would be valuable in this endeavor. I would think in 2-3 days and we will strike out. Dieter wait to hear what Gruber comes back with.

OCC: Hope you gents don't mind me going this direction, seems like a decent jaunt.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby Craigers07 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:26 am

Furuk - Fighter

"I wouldn't mind slaying a few ogres and doing my part to help the good people of this town. "

Furuk smiles and waits for Gruber to start talking about compensation.
Craigers07

Postby badams30 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:36 pm

Grimes - Fighter

Grimes smiles as Furuk describes killing ogres. He simply smiles, nods and gives a thumbs up. He too will anxiously await the discussion of payment.
badams30

Postby greyarea » Fri Jan 18, 2013 4:45 pm

The half-elf breaks in, still making eye contact with no one, Their friend was right, this is Ogreish. I don't see anything here about ogre magi, but i can see why their friend might have thought so. Ogres other than magi usually aren't literate. Usually that is. My friend at Sir Accipiter's keep on the borderlands tells me that they have encountered intelligent ogres there. Perhaps the inbreeding with the giants is improving the stock.

Let's see, he says reading further. It looks like they're meeting at a manse somewhere here on Sir Taris' outreach. No name is given but they were to meet a 'Vera', whoever that is. There's really nothing else there.

Grüber considers this. It could be the old Hawkesworth Manor. That place has been abandoned for years. The land reverted to Sir Taris when Lady Hawkesworth died a few decades back. We never granted the land to anyone else. It's a dying estate: once large and majestic, it's probably mostly rubble by now. Children have been frightened by tales of ghosts there for a generation, but we've sent a few parties out there to investigate with no luck. The place is picked clean, either by looters or worse, but it's never been haunted to my knowledge.

They could also mean the old Erdea estate, next to the land we just granted you all. The Erdea haven't been heard from in quite some time, but that's not too unusual. Some of the estate holders do all of their business without any contact with Wolford or Sir Taris and as long as their taxes are paid up, we don't care. We received a lump payment from them a few decades ago to pay up through the next decade or so. Old Erde was an odd coot with his own ways: a very strange man. Refused even to meet Sir Taris. We accepted the money gladly. It helped pay for some improvements in town including a sewage system that the Gemfarers and Pumilio Clans helped us build. It's why Wolford doesn't stink like some of the other towns in the region.

That said, it could also be the Trentham or Crawley manors. We've not heard from either of them in quite some time either. The Trenthams came upon hard times in the 30's and we haven't heard from them for some time. Bizarre folk. It's said that they were breeding with orcs or somesuch and rumor has it that the banker's assistant is a Trentham cousin. He's an ugly man, I'll grant you that, but we have no problem with half-orcs or other mixes, so long as they abide by the laws of the land. Law rules here, my boys. Crawley, on the other hand, is a proud man. He has come to a number of events at the Shrine, but, come to think of it, the old chap hasn't been in Wolford in ages. I wonder how they are getting along. Both families also prepaid their taxes for quite some time as well, so we don't bother them.

The huge door opens a bit and you can see the large, armored man beyond. If you're done with the history lesson, we still have business to do, booms a deep, baratone voice from beyond.

Grüber apologizes. Actually, you might want to meet these people, Sir Taris. They are the ones who rescued your son.

The door swings open the rest of the way and through it enters the armored figure. Both the Captain of the Guard and the half-elf sage reading the papers stand at attention, the half-elf knocking two pages to the floor. The armored man, Sir Taris, waves them down and the Captain relaxes while the half-elf bends down to pick up the spilled vellum and rearrange the papers on the desk before sitting once more.

Sir Taris is an imposing man. He stands over six feet tall and his hair and beard are nicely trimmed and their blonde color nearly matches the golden brown eyes beneath his brow. His whole presence speaks of great charisma and strength. He is dressed in impressive white-enameled field plate with the blue stars of his family crest (which match those given to you by Jayson earlier) as well as the same holy symbol you saw in Einar's room in the center of his chest. He has hard leather boots and a blue cloak that billows behind him. All are covered with dust and splatters of mud from a hard ride in to town, it seems. He is wearing a mighty sword which you identify as a Holy Avenger by the symbols on its hilt. He raises a gauntleted hand in greeting.

I would like to thank you all on behalf of me and Lady Taris, he indicates the woman in the room behind him (unnoticed by you until now) with a wave: she is dressed in a gown of the same blue with white highlights, for rescuing our son, Aiden. We got news of his kidnapping and rescue just before we set off back to Wolford from the Capital. We are most appreciative. We invite you to dine with us sometime soon, so you can tell us about your adventure. I understand there was a lizard cult and a dragon involved. It's been ages since I slew a dragon myself, so I would be happy to live vicariously through your tale. I'm just not too thrilled with the tree-hugger who's been filling Aiden's head with nonsense of neutrality and balance and all that. Druids have no place as tutors, in my mind. I appreciate their views but we must operate by Law and by Good if this land is to survive.

Thank you again for your assistance. Once we get resettled in after our extended absence, I will have someone come around to you with news of the feast we set.

Now, Grüber, we have town business to attend to.

Grüber apologizes and goes back to the back room with Sir Taris. Apparently they are done for now.

Jayson turns to you and says, We will investigate this ogre business further and let you know if we need your assistance. As the seneschal noted, we aren't sure of this but appreciate whatever you might accomplish on your own. He gently leads you from the room and back down the hall, where hustle and bustle still happen in preparations for whatever is going on here. The Captain is seen conferring with the half-elf over the documents as Jayson closes the door. You are lead out of the Alderhall and into the street. I imagine you are staying at The Rat and Pig? We will send for you there if needed.

He leaves you in front of the Alderhall and in the street.

Actions?

OOC: I'm planning on launching the next adventure with the two new guys soon. Don't wait for Grüber to come to you. I'd suggest either staying at The Rat and Pig or The Pikeman, or starting on your new estate near/around Skull Mountain.
greyarea

Postby Spanningtree » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:05 pm

Dieter - Mage

Thank you kindly, we will be at the Rat and Pig if you need anything. Sharing a meal would be excellent you excellency. Dieter will take his leave with that. Once they are back to the inn he will share a mug of ale. Well gents what do you think our next step should be? On a lark we could go looking for some ogres, check out our land and such... we could also relax around town a bit... whats on your minds?

Dieter will also make his way back to talk to the father about making a donation to the church in return for healing related potions or the like.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby Craigers07 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:45 pm

Furuk - Fighter

Furuk thanks Gruber and Sir Taris for their time and makes his way back to the Rat and Pig. He joins the others for drinks and tries to relax.

"I'm in no hurry to get back to adventuring. In fact, I'm looking forward to not sleeping on a dungeon floor tonight."

"Before we leave town, I'm going to try to get some more information about this ogre business.

Furuk enjoys his time over the next few hours with his friends talking about their past adventures. Throughout the night, he will try to eavesdrop on the conversations of others and listen for anyone mentioning ogres.
Craigers07

Postby greyarea » Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:30 pm

You stay at The Rat and Pig, spending time in the main room eating roast and drinking ale. There are more than a few people there who are willing to pay for your dinner and buy rounds of drink to hear more of the dragon slaying and cult bashing. One person asks to hear the tale of the fight against the fire salamander on the bridge three times.

Furuk keeps his ears open but the only mention of "ogres" is a discussion involving an apprentice complaining about his boss. He also calls the old man a troglodite and his wife a troll.

Two people, a human male and a half-elf female, enter. They listen in on your recounting your adventures and then approach.

To be continued in a new thread...
greyarea

Previous

Return to Skull Mountain