Part 2: Interview With the Devil

Sniderman's Cryptworld game

Moderator: sniderman

Re: Part 2: Interview With the Devil

Postby greyarea » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:36 pm

Hal accepts the hard drive. We need to find this woman. We also need to find her grave.

I say we have two teams. One group researches this seventh victim, first using the missing persons data and then with out other resources once we have a name. The other searches the area where the other six bodies were found, we might have enough to go on with the gold rock and smells. Perhaps the flowers were planted near or over her makeshift grave.

The good thing is we can stick together, so long as we have cell signal, we can use a PC laptop and smart phones in the car while the others search the site. Better than splitting the party.
greyarea

Postby segeorge » Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:14 pm

Webb nods agreement to Hal’s suggestion.
Sounds good. Lucas, considering your wound, you might want to leave you bug and ride with one of us. While Hal and I are practicing our chauffer skills, you guys can employ your Google-fu to start researching our victim. The park office should be able to give us some information on the flora of the area. And if this is happening now because her grave was recently disturbed, there may be some work being done near the grave.
segeorge

Postby funfungiguy » Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:21 pm

"Sounds good". Lucas will spend the car ride copying the data of the external hard drive to his computer and start the tedious work of going through each person reported missing from a year or so before the murders began trying to match the girl in the photo.
funfungiguy

Postby kmelion » Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:34 am

Jack
I'll quietly tag along with the group looking to find out who Seven is, hopefully my journalism/investigative experience can help.
kmelion

Postby sniderman » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:23 am

You all agree that hanging around the police station just after a mass murder has taken place is probably a really bad idea. Heeding Chief Perry's advice, the five of you head back to the hotel to gather your wits and to formulate a plan of action.

"I say we have two teams," Hal suggests during a meeting in one of the rooms you're renting. "One group researches this seventh victim, first using the missing persons data and then with our other resources once we have a name. The other group searches the area where the other six bodies were found; we might have enough to go on with the gold rock and smells. Perhaps the flowers were planted near or over her makeshift grave."

"Good idea, Hal," Magnus agrees. "I'll tag along with someone who is driving to the murder site."

Webb nods in agreement to Hal’s suggestion. "Sounds good. Lucas, considering your wound, you might want to leave your bug and ride with one of us. While Hal and I are practicing our chauffer skills, you guys can employ your Google-fu to start researching our victim. The park office should be able to give us some information on the flora of the area. And if this is happening now because her grave was recently disturbed, there may be some work being done near the grave."

"Sounds good," Lucas says, as he makes a duplicate of the missing persons data on the hard drive, ensuring that both teams have access to the same information en route.

Jack agrees to tag along with the group looking to find out who Seven is, hopeful that his journalism/investigative experience can of help.

"The good thing is we can stick together, so long as we have cell signal. We can use a PC laptop and smart phones in the car while the others search the site. Better than splitting the party," Hal says.

It appears we have a plan, but I need some details:

1. Who is on which team?
2. And where are the two teams heading? From Hal's suggestion, it sounds like one team will do research....where? Here at the hotel? And the other team will head to Tillamook State Park and check out the scene of the original murders back in 1973, yes? Do you know where in the park those murders were committed 40 years ago? Or do you hope someone at the park can direct you to the site?

Anyway, hammer out the details amongst yourselves and just let me know who's going where.
sniderman

Postby funfungiguy » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:08 am

"I think I should probably go with whomever is heading to the site of the original murders. Having smelled that floral odor off of 7, with any luck we'll get close enough that I'll recognise it again," says Lucas. "In the mean time, I'm going to do some research and see if we can't figure out where exactly these bodies were discovered. I suppose if we fail to turn anything up, maybe we can finesse one of the park employees to give us some leads."

Lucas uses his investigation skills to hopefully drum up some info on the actual location of the cabin and the burial sites. Hopefully he should be able if nothing else to come up with a transcript of the court trial of Baxter, which should have information about the investigation and details used as evidence, such as grave locations and where the cabin was discovered, and so on. He'll accompany whomever in the group decides to look for 7's grave.
funfungiguy

Postby greyarea » Tue Mar 03, 2015 2:44 pm

Hal says, With today's smartphones and laptops, we can do at least some investigation at the site. The hard drive we can investigate in the car with a laptop.

Although we have two teams, I say we don't split up physically. We all go to the site, some investigating outdoors, some searching the database for our number seven.
greyarea

Postby segeorge » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:11 pm

Webb agrees
“Depending on coverage, that seems worth a try. Not to mention strength in numbers. It might be worthwhile checking with the ranger office to see if the rangers killed had been doing any work – they may have disturbed the grave. That would narrow down the area of the search. Describing the flowery scent may also help. My chauffer services continue to be at the group’s disposal.” Adding a nervous quip: “I don’t suppose there’s anywhere we can stop for steel turtle-neck sweaters.”
segeorge

Postby sniderman » Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:51 am

The team agrees to split into two teams, but travelling together so as not to stretch themselves thin...or leave them potentially exposed to future retribution from "Seven's" wrath. Travelling in the two cars you came in, the five of you head out of town in the direction of Tillamook State Forest, keeping in touch via Smartphone.

Sitting in the back seat of one vehicle, still nursing his injured arm, Lucas plugs the duplicated hard drive into his laptop and proceeds to research the Missing Persons database given to the group by Chief Perry. He scowls as he looks through the names, trying to find a young female (apparently) who was reported missing from the area at about the same time the original murders were committed by Baxter.

[[SPECIFIC check versus Lucas' Investigation skill to see if he can put some pieces of the puzzle together. Results:
Investigation skill: 78 - Rolled 56 - Margin of success: 22
Action Table results: 22 "Attack Margin" cross-indexed with Column 3 "Skill Checks" = MK result (MODERATELY SUCCESSFUL)]]

Lucas finds an entry for a young woman who was reported missing by her parents at about the time of the Paul Bunyon Killings. The photo of the girl pops up on screen and Lucas' breath stops in his chest. He calls Hal who's driving the other car. "Hal, send me that photo you snapped of the wraith." Keeping his eyes on the road, Hal passes the phone to Magnus in the passenger's seat who taps a few buttons and sends the photo to Lucas' phone. Lucas looks at the photo, then shows it to Webb who's driving and Jack who's seated next to him. Jack's face goes ashen.

"It's her..." he whispers.

[[To Be Continued in "Part 3: Facing the Past"]]
sniderman

Previous

Return to Forget-Me-Not