Using S&S for Old School Trek

For discussion of the original 1978 rules and for the revised second edition that is entering development.

Re: Using S&S for Old School Trek

Postby Craigers07 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:46 pm

gentleman john wrote:Real personality only comes with play.

First question last, then. Looking at your traits the Human fits very well with what I think TOS is all about. The Vulcan is next on the list (I have to remind myself Spock is not a good example of a Vulcan - he is half-vulcan). Maybe not as appealing, but I'm still going with my idea. As for the Andorian and the Tellarite, they only appeared in a couple of episodes, so I can't comment much beyond what was put in the old FASA ST game.

I’m leaning towards playing a human. As far my thoughts on races in a TOS setting, I agree with what gentleman john says here.
Craigers07

Postby gentleman john » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:27 pm

Atomic Ray wrote:Is that with the vulcan +2 STR/INT/WIS, -1 CHA considered?

Yup.

Did you roll 4D6 best 3D6 and place them where you wanted?

Yes. Yes I did.

Reason I ask is those are fairly mundane numbers, not that it matters much either way to me, the actions of the character far outweigh the stats in my book...and kudos to you for using normal numbers over the internet :mrgreen:

The stats are fairly mundane. Let's just say the dice were being very average last night. Apart from a few rolls, the dice were clustering, so even with removing the lowest rolled dice I wasn't affecting the outcome much. I also went with the philosophy that Starfleet would rather have a recruit who was average in a number of stats with a few high stats, rather than go for extremes both high and low. Take what you get and go with it!

If the stats have been assigned then perhaps let us consider this vulcan as being very young rather than the 50-80yrs old you tend to see in the various aspects...a true teen ager, 18-19 perhaps, pushing through a bit early due to academics?

Smaller, quite slender, and lithe to account for the average strength?

Very much the idea ;) . I see Ensign T'Marr as being on her first full cruise after graduation from Starfleet Academy. She has gone through the full officer's curriculum and been assigned a place in the depths of the engineering decks of the Olympia as that is where she excelled (high INT). She has shown some aptitude for shuttlecraft piloting (better than average DEX), certainly enough to gain her a pilot's certificate and a position as back-up flight crew.

Currently in her early 20s (young for a full-blood Vulcan, hence low average STR), she may become command material if she can overcome her adherence to logic and adapt more to situations (slightly better than average WIS - enough to make her an officer, but not put her on the fast track; also accounts for the average LUCK). Her instructors have also noted that she has attempted to adapt to human ways but still finds the rules for interacting rather confusing (average CHA for a human, just better than average for a Vulcan).

So, from the stats as rolled (and some TOS stereotypes) we get some idea of what T'Marr is like. Very broad brushstrokes, but I wouldn't expect any more from a newly-generated character.
gentleman john

Postby gentleman john » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:28 pm

So - who else is up for some? C'mon! Get those dice rolling! Let's give Ray some more ideas!
gentleman john

Postby Atomic Ray » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:03 am

Gentleman John...this next question is not some kind of attack or any such...first the observation, I have been RPG since 1976, at 11yrs old.

Since then I have experienced the following a dozen times or so...and in the last month three times...

Guys playing female characters

Purely on a personal note, the aesthetics of it are not my cupa to be sure.

I can grasp a twisted weirdo mutant, a brain in a jar, or a starfish alien...but playing a female is just nothing I would consider.

So my question, and it is strictly because this is what I do for a living...I collect data and create processes with the information...so it is second nature to ask questions that I do not have answers for.

"Why would you, why did you choose a female character?"

Again there is no right or wrong, and I am not judging...I am driven by pure scientific curiosity.

I am 100% all for whatever the player wants, just asking.

And you can tell me to steam off lol...I just find the selection process of any complex system interesting.
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby gentleman john » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:28 pm

Rather than derail this thread, I've created one specifically to answer this question. I reckon it deserves its own thread, and those who don't want to get involved don't have to follow it if they don't want to.

Remember kids - practice safe threading! :D

The discussion continues over here:

http://www.goblinoidgames.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1476

Now - anyone else going to do a character?
gentleman john

Postby Atomic Ray » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Such a gentleman!

Lol...responded on proper thread :)

In regards to the female vulcan...well thought out, admirable to provide stats as they laid, and welcome in my game for sure.

I would also consider a childhood focus, as vulcan children start so early...something to develop focus, skill, and concentration...such as a musical instrument, singing vulcan opera, Kal-Toh, tea ceremony, etc.

This might help with the smaller character strokes and add potential for flavor during game play.

As for other characters, they are coming...I have 4 who have shown interest via PM...they are clearing schedules, so we should have a couple more soon!
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby gentleman john » Wed Apr 18, 2012 9:34 pm

Atomic Ray wrote:I would also consider a childhood focus, as vulcan children start so early...something to develop focus, skill, and concentration...such as a musical instrument, singing vulcan opera, Kal-Toh, tea ceremony, etc.

This might help with the smaller character strokes and add potential for flavor during game play.

Of course. How about T'Marr being trained in the Vulcan lyre in an attempt to help her master her meditation skills. Of course, being WIS 12 (low for a Vulcan), it hasn't helped that much ...
gentleman john

Postby Atomic Ray » Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:54 pm

gentleman john wrote:
Atomic Ray wrote:I would also consider a childhood focus, as vulcan children start so early...something to develop focus, skill, and concentration...such as a musical instrument, singing vulcan opera, Kal-Toh, tea ceremony, etc.

Of course. How about T'Marr being trained in the Vulcan lyre in an attempt to help her master her meditation skills. Of course, being WIS 12 (low for a Vulcan), it hasn't helped that much ...

Sounds good to me!

― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Spanningtree » Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:56 am

I'll take a crack at it. I used to play Traveller/Mega-Traveller/Starfleet Battles... etc. Good fun! I dont have a copy of S & S rules, is this something I need to pickup? It looks like you have a basic setup for stats. I was thinking a Vulcan science officer in the same vein as Spock but am willing to do whatever a party might need to round out. :)
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby Atomic Ray » Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:02 pm

Don't worry about rounding a party out, choose what you want to play.

If you are interested in a half-vulcan then that would be fine with me. I need to look over the stats again...I will give a quick review and post.

I don't have a copy of the game in my hands yet, working on it myself...but if it follows the basic Old School setup then I see no issues.
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

PreviousNext

Return to Starships & Spacemen