D&D 5th edition- what you think??

For discussion of other games.

Re: D&D 5th edition- what you think??

Postby kipper » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:36 pm

greyarea wrote:The old Dungeon board game was an excellent first step for us back in the day. I don't know if it's still being played (or even being made) but it had the hallmarks of a simple design, an easily understood goal, and randomness. I recall using it as a crutch/learning tool in my early DMing days.

Dungeon was re-released by WotC recently (2012), I picked up a copy and my son (4 years old at the time) loved it and and we've been playing it regularly ever since! I actually just discovered there is another release just a couple months ago too: http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tableto ... es/dungeon
kipper

Postby Blood axe » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:28 pm

kipper wrote:
greyarea wrote:The old Dungeon board game was an excellent first step for us back in the day. I don't know if it's still being played (or even being made) but it had the hallmarks of a simple design, an easily understood goal, and randomness. I recall using it as a crutch/learning tool in my early DMing days.

Dungeon was re-released by WotC recently (2012), I picked up a copy and my son (4 years old at the time) loved it and and we've been playing it regularly ever since! I actually just discovered there is another release just a couple months ago too: http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tableto ... es/dungeon

Cool. I remember playing that. :D
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby greyarea » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:43 pm

kipper wrote:Dungeon was re-released by WotC recently (2012), I picked up a copy and my son (4 years old at the time) loved it and and we've been playing it regularly ever since! I actually just discovered there is another release just a couple months ago too: http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tableto ... es/dungeon

Sweet. A quick glance suggests that the player types have changed since the version I played (where's the Elf and I'm not sure Cleric or Rogue were options) but my memory might be failing me. Great fun!
greyarea

Postby kipper » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:51 pm

greyarea wrote:
kipper wrote:Dungeon was re-released by WotC recently (2012), I picked up a copy and my son (4 years old at the time) loved it and and we've been playing it regularly ever since! I actually just discovered there is another release just a couple months ago too: http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tableto ... es/dungeon

Sweet. A quick glance suggests that the player types have changed since the version I played (where's the Elf and I'm not sure Cleric or Rogue were options) but my memory might be failing me. Great fun!

The names have changed (old Elf => new Rogue, old Hero => new Cleric, old Superhero => new Fighter; old Wizard = new Wizard), but for the most part the rules are the same as what I remember.
kipper

Postby greyarea » Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:08 pm

Thanks! Hero and Superhero: I'd forgotten those. :)
greyarea

Postby tumblingdice » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:22 pm

I'm wondering what the future holds for D&D. So far, we have a new rules system that most people seem to like, and could reunite players of differing divisions. Bringing all the players together and washing away the tastes of earlier editions is a great first step, but what next? What will WOTC do to support these new rules? Are we supposed to pick up our favorite old modules and settings in PDF and convert them to 5E? If so, why not just play them with the rules for which they were written, which are largely still available? Will these new rules herald a new golden age of modules destined to become classics? Will all the creative talent and energy that fueled the OSR lend its talents to the new edition?

I'm not trying to sound pessimistic. I just can't see what's next. The rules are fixed. Now what? Is there a brilliant new setting or monster they're going to roll out and knock our socks off with? What remains to get excited about?
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby Blood axe » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:28 pm

tumblingdice wrote:I'm wondering what the future holds for D&D. So far, we have a new rules system that most people seem to like, and could reunite players of differing divisions. Bringing all the players together and washing away the tastes of earlier editions is a great first step, but what next? What will WOTC do to support these new rules? Are we supposed to pick up our favorite old modules and settings in PDF and convert them to 5E? If so, why not just play them with the rules for which they were written, which are largely still available? Will these new rules herald a new golden age of modules destined to become classics? Will all the creative talent and energy that fueled the OSR lend its talents to the new edition?

I'm not trying to sound pessimistic. I just can't see what's next. The rules are fixed. Now what? Is there a brilliant new setting or monster they're going to roll out and knock our socks off with? What remains to get excited about?

I was wondering the same thing. Besides the 3 main books & the Tyranny of Dragons adventure series- has anything else been announced ?
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby tumblingdice » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:37 pm

Other than a DM's screen and some minis, I've heard of nothing. The new PHB lists pantheons for Greyhawk, Forgotten Realms and Dragonlance, but I have a tough time believing WOTC will compete against itself with three new books covering those settings.

With any luck, these new streamlined rules will bring in new players, who, unburdened by history or nostalgia, will just take them and run with them and blow us all away.

That's my hope. :)
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby tumblingdice » Fri Sep 26, 2014 11:57 am

Just snuck a peak at the new Monster Manual at my FLGS. It looks amazing! Starts out with Aarakocra and Aboleths, from the old Fiend Folio and Monster Manual II respectively, which is kind of neat. Great illustrations, though none of the demon lords get a picture. Some of the dragon artwork looks to have been recycled from 3E, which I suppose is okay. Not a big fan of the vampire illustration, though in hindsight it does look exactly like the illustration from the original MM. Who knew he had a beer belly? :? For Dragonlance fans, Lord Soth serves as the illustration for the death knight. I thought it strange, though, that death knights are now chaotic evil. And, somehow, the flumph made its way into this edition. SMH.
tumblingdice

PreviousNext

Return to Other Games