Bows versus Black Powder?

For discussion of the new official Pacesetter horror game!

Re: Bows versus Black Powder?

Postby The Venomous Pao » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:40 am

In the book Creature Feature for Chill 1e (written by Mark Acres, one of the original developers of Chill), there's a brief bit on adjusting the rules so that weapons (both missile and melee) of different types consistently do different damage. I have posted a bit of a paraphrase of these rules on my blog so that they aren't only in the hands of folks who happen to have CF in their libraries. I make no claim to having created these rules and I certainly haven't made them OGL or anything. I'm just sharing them with folks.

These aren't perfect by any means, but they should get the job done reasonably well.
Old School, New School and other bloggy bits at StrangeStones.com
The Venomous Pao

Postby Bisikoff » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:33 am

Interesting and nifty - thanks for sharing that.

I'm not much of a fan of the randomized column for missile defense - the weapon based option does make an intriguing option though. And it strikes me as very 80's (don't know why ... I lived through it, so I get to say it).
Bisikoff

Postby DavetheLost » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:58 pm

Most gun fights occur at less than ten feet, and 80% of shots fired then still miss. According to FBI statistics.

I think it makes sense that damage is determined more by skill/hit location than by weapon.

Also in most games the damage done by bows, slings, daggers etc is way too low. These are lethal killing weapons not mere scratches.

Black powder weapons in skilled hands are much more effective than people realize. Remember too that with smooth ore muskets the balls were often undersized to the barrels. This meant that the gun could (and in combat would) be loaded by dumping in the powder, thumping the gun butt on the ground to set the charge and spitting a ball down the barrel. Prime raise and fire. Accuracy was sacrificed for speed in this situation however. But when you have a hunter men all throwing lead down range, individual accuracy doesn't matter nearly as much.

I'll still take a good bow or crossbow, much quieter.
DavetheLost

Postby Claybor » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:09 pm

In the book Creature Feature for Chill 1e (written by Mark Acres, one of the original developers of Chill), there's a brief bit on adjusting the rules so that weapons (both missile and melee) of different types consistently do different damage. I have posted a bit of a paraphrase of these rules on my blog so that they aren't only in the hands of folks who happen to have CF in their libraries. I make no claim to having created these rules and I certainly haven't made them OGL or anything. I'm just sharing them with folks.

These aren't perfect by any means, but they should get the job done reasonably well.

Very interesting, thanks.
Claybor

Postby Claybor » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:10 pm

Also in most games the damage done by bows, slings, daggers etc is way too low. These are lethal killing weapons not mere scratches.

Agree 100%.

You make a good argument for not needing specific weapon damage.
Claybor

Postby The Venomous Pao » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:56 pm

Claybor wrote:

Very interesting, thanks.

Glad to share, amigo. I hope someone out there finds it useful. I also hope there's some way that this kind of stuff can find its way into official Cryptworld books in the future.
Old School, New School and other bloggy bits at StrangeStones.com
The Venomous Pao

Postby ReaperWolf » Sat Jun 06, 2015 3:57 am

Rumor has it the forthcoming thing book has optional variant weapon damage rules.
ReaperWolf

Previous

Return to CRYPTWORLD