Interlude in Red Larch

badams30's Labyrinth Lord p=b-p game.

Moderator: badams30

Re: Interlude in Red Larch

Postby greyarea » Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:32 pm

Marcus, paladin

Marcus puts his gloved hand on Han's shoulder and smiles. Excellent idea, Han. Breaking bread is an excellent way of creating good relationships.

While we wait for Melvin to answer Nahin's knock, Marcus scans the general public and uses his Detect Evil ability to search for those who might cause the party harm.
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 2:59 am

As you approach Melvin's residence, the tethered goats out front turn and face you, bleating as you approach. You note the building is painted the same blue as his wagon, complete with stars and moons. It looks like an opium den gone horribly wrong. A faded sign on the front door says "Melvin the Magnificent: Wizard for hire, magical items examined, sage at large, goat husbandry explained." Just as Nahin raises his hand to open the door, it swings open, and Marvin is standing the doorway, in his blue robes and pointy hat, with a perplexed look on his face. "Now then, I see you've returned. Good, good. Listen, I won't give you the goat for less than 2 silver. He's worth it. You can't talk me down even a copper." He sets his gaze on Nahin, and it takes a second for Nahin to jog Melvin's memory on who you all are. "Oh yes. Of course. Nice to see you again." He glances at Han and yanks the carved cat from his robe pocket "See? I am keeping him close at hand. Won't get away from me again." He smiles and says "Why yes, I'd be delighted to join you for dinner. I'm quite famished, you know. If you'll excuse me for a moment..." and he unties his goats and herds them into his shop "Come on! Get moving... make yourselves comfortable. I'll be home soon." He shuts the door and smiles at you all: "Ah, yes. Dinner. Let's go!" And he follows you to the Swinging Sword.

You enter the inn and find it to be as nondescript as the rest of the town. Tables for about 50 people inside, and the smell of good, hearty food wafts from the kitchen. A pretty young girl in a plaid apron comes out and motions you toward the common area "Please, find a seat and I'll be with you in a moment." The inn is about half full, most of the patrons are nondescript farmers or laborers. In one corner you see 8 Waterdhavian guards eating and relaxing, they are quietly chatting amongst themselves, and they pause their conversation to glance your way as you enter, but within 10-15 seconds, they are back focused on their meals and drinks. You spot an elderly couple sitting near the door, both dressed in much nicer clothing than seems common in town, and then there is one man near the fire, he is in brown robes and has a well-worn pack next to him. He stares at you as you enter, then goes back to his meal.

You find a nice table that will fit all of you, and you sit. Within 10 minutes, you have full tankards of ale or your favorite spirits in front of you, and the young woman recommends the famous Red Larch Crumblecakes - a hearty, filling meal that is a cross between a pot pie and a quiche. You have heard they are delicious. Within 10 minutes, your food is in front of you and you are all relaxing, happy to be back in civilization, and anxious to clear up loose ends.

Marcus, you intently examine the room and it's occupants, and all seems normal - except for the man in brown robes. You can feel the palpable evil about him. Almost on cue, as your sense reads his aura, he casts an icy stare your way, then returns to his meal.

You dine, chatting as you do, and Melvin seems to be chatting up Dak, telling him about the time he once herded 100 goats to the Goldenfields all by himself. It's a gripping tale, at least in Marvin's eyes, and he sparkles when telling it...

Feel free to ask Marvin what you will, and do as you please (within reason, of course...)
badams30

Postby Spanningtree » Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:28 am

Nahin - Elf

Thank you for joining us Melvin! Nahin will dig into his meal and a tankard of ale. Say Melvin, who are folks near the door in regal apparel? A bit later he will ask Melvin: What do you make of the sinister one near the fire there? Nahin will casually glance at the man near the fire a couple of times to try and discern if his robes are covering armor and weapons.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby badams30 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:28 am

Melvin smiles and says "Thank you for inviting me. I don't get out much, what with my goats and all..." as he munches on his crumblecake, he says "those folks in the nice clothes are the Morgans. They own a large farm outside of town, plus a pretty sizable herd of cattle. A good portion of the meat in this area comes from their farm. They own several thousand acres in parcel about the area. A nice couple, they are." When you mention the man in the brown robes, Melvin's eyes narrow and he stares directly at him for a good 30 seconds - a fact not lost on the stranger, who stares back at Melvin. "Melvin says quietly "Can't say that I've seen him before. But he's a shifty sort, I can see it in him. No SIr, I don't like the looks of him one bit." Then he pauses for a moment and says "say, did I ever tell you about the time I met Melbazaar, Demon Prince of Slugs? And he trails off into some story about slugs, slime trails and demons casting fireballs.... no one seems to be paying particular attention, but Melvin doesn't seem to notice.

Nahin, the man in brown robes has a staff leaning on the wall behind him, it is gnarled and has runes carved all over it. The most interesting thing about it is the top - it has an obsidian skull that appears to be finely crafted. The staff looks old, and is very well-made. As for the man himself, he appears to be wearing o armor, just his robes, he has a large shoulder bag slung across his chest. The man himself looks to be in his late 30's, and has long black hair and an equally long and unkempt beard.

As you are taking in the sights, the innkeep comes over and says "Hope the food is good, Gentlemen, the food and drink is on the house. And your benefactor has reserved our large common room just for you all. It's in the attic, and has 8 beds. It's normally kept open for general borders, but here's the key to the door" (and he hands it to Nahin). The innkeep glances at Grinkle several times, but seeing his proximity to Marcus, and the group's apparent ease with him in your midst, he says nothing. "If there's anything I can do for you, let me know. I hope you enjoy your stay." He turns to leave, and as he does, the older couple summons him to their table.

You continue to eat and make merry, Grinkle eats lightly, and seems to be uneasy among all the townsfolk, but as long as Marcus is nearby, he never strays more than 5-10 feet from his side. As you finish your meal, the young barmaid comes to your table with a tray of glasses, and a bottle of very expensive looking wine. She bats her eyelashes and says "A gift, from Mister and Missus Morgan." and nods toward the older couple. As you glance over, the old man nods at you and waves. The girl says to you all, "Sirs, Mr. Morgan would have a word with you, if you'd indulge him."
badams30

Postby Atomic Ray » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:47 am

Han Overfist, augur of Tymora

(Han notes the barmaid, gives her "the eye", wink)

"Perhaps I could indulge you later, when you have finished up here (big smile)"

(OOC I have no interest pursuing the details of such an encounter...a simple yes we hung out or no for what ever reason will work for me lol)
“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of the infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.”
― H.P. Lovecraft
Atomic Ray

Postby Spanningtree » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:51 am

Nahin - Elf

Nahin will wave back. He will pour for each person at the table if the maid does not. Cheers gents! To health and friendship! Raising a glass. To the Duty Bound... he'll clank glasses with everyone.

Eventually: Please excuse me for a moment Melvin. To his comrades: I'm going to say hello to the folks over there, anyone care to join?

EDIT: Corrected some grammar... :?
Last edited by Spanningtree on Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spanningtree

Postby kjc » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:43 am

Jayce - Fighter
Jayce tenses a bit when he sees the Waterdhavian Guards but relaxes when he spies no familiar faces. Between mouthfuls of crumblecake he shoots Han a big smile of encouragement."Well look at you, you dog. Sniffin' around the ladies..." he says when the serving girl is out of earshot.

When Nahin moves to join the older couple, he nods to them and raises his glass. "I'll stay here and 'ride herd' on Dak, Melvin, and Grinkle. The rest of you go meet and mingle. I'll keep an eye on Mr. Stink Eye over there as well." he finished with a motion toward the brown robed man.
"This looks like a place we've never been to before!"
-My five-year-old son
kjc

Postby tumblingdice » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:03 pm

Rory makes a mental note to pick someone else's pockets besides those of the elderly couple who just bought him booze.

Instead, he'll wink at the barmaid, and ask her her name. His guiding spirit will also ask the DM if he recognizes any of the guards from Waterdeep.
Get thee to the dungeon. Get thee to the dungeon forthwith. Pass not the barbican. Amass not 200 GP.
tumblingdice

Postby badams30 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:07 am

Rory and Nahin - neither of you recognize any of the Waterdhavian guards. They appear very young, and this is likely their first assignment.
Han, Tymora has blessed your die rolls. The young barmaid smiles and says quietly "The inn closes in 3 hours. I'll see you then." (in the heavens, Tymora smiles and says "the cleric of Lady Luck appears to be getting lucky..."

Rory, the barmaid seems interested in Mr. Han, but says her name is Delia.

As it turns out, Jayce doesn't have too hard a job in keeping Dak, Grinkle and Melvin in line. Dak and Grinkle (and a couple farmers) seem entranced listening to Melvin's gripping tale of goats, demon lords, and angry orcs. As off the wall as the tale seems, you strangely find yourself believing Melvin...

Nahin leads Marcus, Rory, and (presumably) Han to the Morgan's table. The man stands and offers a hand to you all, and his wife smiles pleasantly and nods at you all. The man says "Please excuse me, I know you gentlemen are probably tired from your travels, but I wanted to speak to you about a situation we have, and how we could perahps make use of your special talents. First, I'll tell you who I am, and if you'd like to hear about my problem, or ask me questions, I'll be happy to tell you. Please, sit down."

As you sit and get comfortable, Mr. Morgan makes some small talk with you all, commenting on how it's nice that you've befriended "poor Melvin." He also offhandedly mentions that he was entertaining Seedius, and he told him of what you were off doing, and told Seedius that he'd like to see you all when you returned. He praises his great luck in being in the same place you all were tonight. After the pleasantries have been exchanged, he says "a little about us... My name is Therman, and this is my wife Edith. Our families go way back in this area. As a result, we've inherited thousands of acres of land over the years. We are nearly the last of our family line, other than our Son. (you note that he glances at Edith as he mentions his son, and his expression changes to one of sadness. He quickly composes himself and continues) We have hundreds of acres of active fields, and thousands of acres of fallow ground. We allow many of the locals to use our land for farming and grazing, only asking that they keep it in good condition. As we've gotten older, and survived a scare by some nasty Kobolds, we've moved back to Red Larch, and we hire others to work our land, or loan it out as I mentioned. So I guess you could say we are retired farmers." He smiles at Edith and they both look at you all. "Enough about us, tell us about yourselves. Seedius has spoken so highly of your band."
Therman calls for some appetizers and more wine and ale, and listens to any background and tales you tell him. He nods his head and smiles, and Edith politely sits listening. They seem like very nice old people, albeit rich old people. But if you didn't hear it from others, you wouldn't think they were any different than all of you. You can tell them as much or little as you like. If you want to tell them anything specific, just let me know what it is. Otherwise, when you are done, Melvin smiles warmly and says "Seedius was right. You are all brave, capable men of honor. As I mentioned, I have a concern... NO. A problem, and I am looking for some help."

You can ask questions, backup, etc. Just let me know. Otherwise, let me know how you'd all like to proceed.
badams30

Postby Spanningtree » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:50 am

Nahin - Elf

Nahin will take it all in. He'll tell them about joining the watch and the group forming. Their first adventure into the swamp, then off to the Kryptgarden and ending in Red Larch.

Tell us of your problem Therman, you have perked our interest! He will say with a nod.
Spanningtree

PreviousNext

Return to Forgotten Realms: Northlands of Adventure