STR modifier: damage only?

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

STR modifier: damage only?

Postby aspiringlich » Mon Feb 10, 2014 1:09 am

I'm considering limiting the STR modifier to damage rolls only. Here's why: (1) I don't see why being stronger would make you more accurate. Someone who can bench 400 lbs. isn't necessarily better at landing a punch than a weaker guy. However, the guy who can bench 400, if his punch connects, will do a helluva lot more damage than the weaker guy. (2) It would make for more symmetry with the DEX modifier, which only modifies attack rolls. So we would have: STR=melee damage, DEX=ranged attack.

Thoughts?
aspiringlich

Re: STR modifier: damage only?

Postby kipper » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:07 pm

I assumed the rationale is that a stronger opponent is better at penetrating an enemy's armour/hide/defences and thus gains a "to hit" bonus.

However, having said that I do think that separating "to hit" and "damage" using real-world logic is very difficult at best, as they both have the same net effect in the end (more damage to the opponent).
kipper

Postby aspiringlich » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:16 pm

kipper wrote:I assumed the rationale is that a stronger opponent is better at penetrating an enemy's armour/hide/defences and thus gains a "to hit" bonus.

However, having said that I do think that separating "to hit" and "damage" using real-world logic is very difficult at best, as they both have the same net effect in the end (more damage to the opponent).

I agree that being hit and being damaged are (more often than not) two sides of the same coin. But if so, then applying the modifier to both rolls seems to be a kind of double whammy, adding a bonus to the same action twice over.
aspiringlich

Postby petespahn » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:29 am

kipper wrote:I assumed the rationale is that a stronger opponent is better at penetrating an enemy's armour/hide/defences and thus gains a "to hit" bonus.

I think that, plus a stronger person is going to find it easier to control the swing of a weapon than a weaker person.
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby jrodman » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:23 am

Or to overpower the guard of a defender.
jrodman

Postby greyarea » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:19 pm

Or to break through armor: to force that spearpoint through chainmail or crumple that helmet with a mace.

That said, if you were my DM and made a damage only rule, I'd be fine with it.
greyarea

Return to Labyrinth Lord