[Fanzine] Gauging Interest

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

What Would Your Involvement Most Likely Be?

I would probably contribute something (art, writing, maps, etc.) to the first issue. I would expect to get a free copy of the PDF at the very least.
32%
I would contribute, but I don't work for free. I would expect a free copy of the PDF plus some type of freelance pay.
8%
I would be willing to pay a nominal fee for a decent fanzine, but I probably won't contribute anything.
48%
It's a fanzine. Heck no I'm not going to pay for it! It should be given out for free.
12%

Total votes : 25

Re: [Fanzine] Gauging Interest

Postby petespahn » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:47 am

Dyson Logos wrote:If I maintain copyright on the images, I'll be willing to contribute a map per issue that will not appear on the blog for at least two months after the release of the issue. Would that help?

Yes that would help immensely. All contributors will retain copyrights and can decide how much (if any) content is OGC. All I'm asking is for first printing rights on original material.

I'm leaning towards a free PDF with a small fee for the print version. I plan to sit down Wednesday and work out submission guidelines so I'll post those on this board. I think this is gonna be fun.

Pete
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby petespahn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:05 pm

Hey guys, typing up a little press release and submission guidelines for this. What do you think? Am I missing anything?

Brave the Labyrinth
Brave the Labyrinth is a quarterly fanzine published by Small Niche Games for the Labyrinth Lord roleplaying game community.

Submission Deadline
Brave the Labyrinth is now accepting submissions for its inaugural issue. The submission period for Issue #1 ends on May 30th. Any material submitted after this date will be considered for Issue #2.

Submission Guidelines
The following are the submission guidelines for the Brave the Labyrinth fanzine. Please read these guidelines carefully. If you have any questions, email smallnichegames@gmail.com.

What Want
    New Weapons and Equipment: At least five new weapons or pieces of equipment not found in any of the Labyrinth Lord™ core rulebooks. If exotic weapons (katanas, falchions, boomerangs) are submitted, we ask the author to stick a specific theme (Far Eastern, Middle Eastern, etc.).

New Magic Items: At least five new magic items not found in any of the Labyrinth Lord™ core rulebooks. Added background information on who and why the items were created is always a plus.

New Spells: At least five new spells not found in any of the Labyrinth Lord™ core rulebooks. Added background information on who and why the spells were created is always a plus.

New Monsters: At least three new monsters not found in any of the Labyrinth Lord™ core rulebooks. The monsters should be fully statted out and described using the same format found in the core rulebooks.

Artwork and Maps: Any fantasy medieval artwork and any medieval-style maps (castles, dungeons, taverns, cave systems, etc.). Whether you're a professional artist or just like to doodle, show us what you can do.

Cartoons: 1-3 panel cartoons showcasing something amusing about the game we love. No serials at this time.

Locales: A shop, home, cave, ruin, or any other location that can be easily dropped into any settings. Submissions should contain a simple map, statted NPCs/monsters, and at least three adventure hooks.

Adventures: An adventure can be a dungeon, series or wilderness encounters, a trek through a city, or anything else the author desires. we're looking for 5 - 10 page adventures that can be easily dropped into any setting.
What We Don’t Want
Brave the Labyrinth is a PG-13 publication so graphic depictions of sex and/or violence will not be accepted. Content that is felt to glorify or promote hatred against a specific gender, (real world) race, or (real world) culture will not be accepted. Pretty much anything else is open for submission, though.

Rights
Any content submitted to Brave the Labyrinth is assumed to be an original creation submitted by the sole author. Brave the Labyrinth accepts reprints for consideration, but prefers previously unpublished content. Small Niche Games retains the right to publish accepted content for any issue of Brave the Labyrinth. The author retains all copyright to his or her own work, but is asked not to publish submitted content until one month after Brave the Labyrinth's release (if applicable).

Compensation
Brave the Labyrinth depends heavily on fan contributions. The author of accepted content receives a free print copy of the issue, to be delivered within one month of the issue's publication.

Amateurs
If you've never been published before, chances are you've been gaming for years, and you can't roleplay for that long without coming up with some cool ideas. So take some time, jot some of those ideas down, and send them in. Who knows? You might get a call from a big-time publisher. You gotta start somewhere! :-)

Publishers
RPG publishers are encouraged to submit. Publishers whose content is accepted to Brave the Labyrinth are allowed to send a 1/2 page ad to be placed in the back of the magazine. As the fanzine will most likely be downloaded by hundreds, if not thousands of gamers, this is a great way to get some free publicity for your campaign setting, new products, and/or your company.

How to Submit
Submit content to smallnichegames@gmail.com in the body of the email or as a rich text document. Place [BtL Submission] followed by the title of your submission in the subject line of the email.
Last edited by petespahn on Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
petespahn

Postby DM Azmo » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:16 pm

That looks like a set of solid submission guidelines. They are even full of good energy and optimism.

You will be seeing a submission from me, what is your proposed timetable for this? In other words, what is the deadline?
'tis an ill wind that blows no minds...
DM Azmo

Postby petespahn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:40 pm

DM Azmo wrote:That looks like a set of solid submission guidelines. They are even full of good energy and optimism.

You will be seeing a submission from me, what is your proposed timetable for this? In other words, what is the deadline?

Hey DM Azmo that's great news! The deadline is May 30th (changed from June 30th). I should have the first issue out by July 1st if all goes well. That gives me a month to put it together and keep it quarterly. Looking forward to seeing your submission!

Pete
Small Niche Games
petespahn

Postby petespahn » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:02 pm

And dang it I forgot categories for new classes and optional house rules. Will add those asap
Small Niche Games
petespahn

Postby petespahn » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:02 pm

Hey guys and gals, the official submission guidelines for Brave the Labyrinth are up. Please feel free to pass them on. Let's get this thing rolling!

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=2227
Small Niche Games
petespahn

Postby Eldrad » Sun Mar 17, 2013 3:18 am

I just might submit.
Eldrad

Postby petespahn » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:33 pm

Bumping this up to the top to generate some interest.

We're just over a month away from the submission deadline and I've received some really good contributions, but I'm nowhere near my 20-32 page goal. I'm going to a contribute a piece or two myself, but I really wanted to avoid turning this into a Small Niche Games magazine!

Come LLers, look over the submission guidelines and let's get this thing rolling!

Pete
Small Niche Games
petespahn

Postby Dyson Logos » Sat Apr 27, 2013 8:45 am

Do you have an adventure for this issue yet?

If not, I'll put a slightly weird one together. :)

Otherwise I'll just send over a map... I would send over one of my new spellcasting classes from Magical Theorems & Dark Pacts, but the book is expected to be released in the next two weeks, and your submission guidelines suggest that you wouldn't be cool with that.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby petespahn » Mon May 20, 2013 4:24 pm

Bumpity bump bump bump. Just over one week left and we still have plenty of content to fill.

Pete
Small Niche Games
petespahn

PreviousNext

Return to Labyrinth Lord