Part 2: Interview With the Devil

Sniderman's Cryptworld game

Moderator: sniderman

Re: Part 2: Interview With the Devil

Postby kmelion » Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:37 pm

Jack
Content to be observing, I will remain where I am. Still feeling nervous, keeping my focus on whatever happens in that room.
kmelion

Postby sniderman » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:12 pm

Jack and Lucas hang back by the entrance, keeping a cautious eye out for anything suspicious that might occur.

[[Since you've both "held your actions" this round, I've given you both a chance to notice something the others may not. Check your PMs here on the forums to see the results...]]

From his chair in the corner of the room, Webb addresses the elderly psychopath: “Mr. Baxter, surely you can understand the hesitancy of people believing that you have knowledge of these killings. Can you offer any specifics that wouldn’t otherwise be known that this 'Seven' is responsible?”

[[SPECIFIC check versus Webb's Personality with a 10% bonus (Hal softened him up a little.) Results:
Personality ability: 46 + 10 = 56 - Rolled 55 - Margin of Success: 1
Action Table results: 1 "Attack Margin" cross-indexed with Column 2 "Ability Checks" = H result (MILDLY POSITIVE REACTION) ]]

Baxter shifts his eyes to stare unblinkingly at Webb. "Seven said she was gonna carve her number on them folks. Seven marked 'em with seven, yes? She said it was to remind ever'one she mattered."

Webb scowls. “And do you know why Seven killing people, and why it wants to kill you -- and us?”

"You idiots! She's mad 'cause I killed her!" Baxter shouts. One guard standing behind Baxter takes a step back in surprise at the outburst. The other guard stands firm. "They thought I buried six, but they's SEVEN. Town didn't know! Town didn't care! She's been forgotten. She's mad about that..."

Hal leans forward, closer to the glass window. "Can you tell me more about how you first met Seven?" he asks.

Baxter reflects, almost melancholy. “I saw Seven in the forest in the fall, you know. I killed her in the fall. Buried her in the fall. Marked her bed with the big gold rock in the fall so’s I always knew where she was.” He leans forward. "She was my secret all these years. But she's not a secret anymore."

Hal brings out his anthropological notes and searches for a demon or entity whose modus operandi matches the description Baxter's given.

[[SPECIFIC check versus Hal's Anthropology Skill. Results:
Anthropology Skill: 99 - Rolled 30 - Margin of Success: 69
Action Table results: 69 "Attack Margin" cross-indexed with Column 3 "Skill Checks" = C result (CRITICAL SUCCESS) ]]

Hal finds an entry on a supernatural creature whose description sounds fairly accurate.

[[Hal, check your PM]]

Magnus follows up on the line of questioning, asking, "Mr. Baxter, can you tell me what form this 'Seven' appears in to you? What does it look like?"

Baxter is talking freely now that he has an interested audience. (No reaction rolls necessary.) "Seven looks like me! Looks like you! Looks like anyone and everyone!"

"And one more question if you would be so kind," Magnus says. "Did Seven command you to kill those men in the past?"

"NO NO NO. I killed her! Tells me I’m gonna pay for what I done to her. Tells me everyone who done forgot her will pay. Tells me those that done failed her will pay!” he shouts.

Baxter writhes against his bonds, and the guards move up to try to calm him.

"SEVEN'S COMING FOR ME! THEN SHE COMES FOR YOU ALL!"

Police Chief Perry races in from the door behind you all; his face is ashen with terror. Baxter squirms in panic, and the guards behind him reach out to hold him down.

“Oh my God, we just found another headless body –- here in the station, hidden in a closet! Officer Kyle Rutherford!” Chief Perry looks up into the other room and points at one of the guards. “Dear God, THAT’S KYLE RUTHERFORD.”

The guard Perry points at grins upon being recognized. The grin is far wider than the human face can display. The "false" Kyle Rutherford lashes out at the other guard with one hand. The guard’s head is severed clean from his shoulders, and his body crumples to the floor, blood spraying in gouts from the neck stump.

[[Fear checks required at the surprising, gruesome scene!
SPECIFIC Willpower checks on Column 6 (pretty damn scary) required. I'll make one roll for everyone - and it's 46.

Hal's Willpower: 76 - Rolled 46 - Margin of Success: 30
Action Table results: 30 "Attack Margin" cross-indexed with Column 6 = M fear check result (MISGIVINGS)

Magnus' Willpower: 42 - Rolled 46 -(FAILED)

Webb's Willpower: 66 - Rolled 46 - Margin of Success: 20
Action Table results: 20 "Attack Margin" cross-indexed with Column 6 = M fear check result (MISGIVINGS)

Lucas' Willpower: 64 - Rolled 46 - Margin of Success: 18
Action Table results: 18 "Attack Margin" cross-indexed with Column 6 = M fear check result (MISGIVINGS)

Jack's Willpower: 66 - Rolled 46 - Margin of Success: 20
Action Table results: 20 "Attack Margin" cross-indexed with Column 6 = M fear check result (MISGIVINGS) ]]

Everyone (but Magnus) takes 4 points of Willpower "damage" due to the sudden violence of this scene. Magnus on the other hand loses 10 points of Willpower and will miss the next round as he gathers his wits about him. (Everyone subtract the WPR from your score and record the new result as your "current Willpower".)

Initiative is rolled, and you guys win it. Let me know what you'd like to do.
sniderman

Postby greyarea » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:39 pm

Hal stands quickly, hand on his cane, and hisses to his associates, It's a revenge spirit! We need to find out from it what it wants other than revenge!

SEVEN,
he calls out in a commanding voice. We are here to give your spirit rest! Who were you and how can we help you?
greyarea

Postby merias » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:47 pm

Magnus stands transfixed in shock, mouth and eyes wide.
merias

Postby funfungiguy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:15 am

"I smell flowers! Does anyone else smell the damn thing? It smells like flowers", shouts Lucas and tries to open the door going into the interrogation room. If it's not locked, Lucas is going to try and pin it's arms to its sides and wrestle it to the ground before it attacks Baxter. If the door is locked, Lucas will try and break it open.
funfungiguy

Postby kmelion » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:17 am

Jack
"Seven! You are no longer forgotten, but we can't help if you kill Baxter!" I cast a nervous glance towards Lucas as he approachs the door "We need him to lead us to your grave, don't you want peace?" My focus shifts back to Seven and Baxter.
kmelion

Postby segeorge » Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:45 pm

Webb
Seeing that both Hal and Jack are trying to reason with Seven (and wishing them luck!), Webb decides to brief the Chief Perry, moving towards him as he speaks, as calmly and authoritatively as he can manage:

Chief, this may be hard to believe but that is the ghost of one of Baxter’s victims – a girl whose body hadn’t been discovered. You’ll need to check missing persons reports; but first, can you get Baxter out of their before she kills him?
segeorge

Postby sniderman » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:22 pm

Magnus stands transfixed in shock, mouth and eyes wide. He stares at the ever-widening pool of blood forming under the dead guard's body.

Hal stands quickly, hand on his cane, and hisses to his associates, It's a revenge spirit! We need to find out from it what it wants other than revenge! He then turns to the window, shouting through it, "SEVEN, we are here to give your spirit rest! Who were you and how can we help you?"

[[SPECIFIC check versus Hal's Personality to see if the 'spirit' responds. There is a sizable penalty as the spirit is wholly focused on its task. Results:
Personality ability: 40 - 30 (penalty) = 10; rolled 21 (FAILED) ]]

The "guard" ignores Hal's shouts and slides up next to Baxter who's paralyzed with terror. The ghost's fingertips take on the appearance of long, slender needles.

Lucas turns to the others, and says, "I smell flowers! Does anyone else smell the damn things? It smells like flowers!" Everyone now notices a strong odor of flowers in the air, like perfume or air freshener. Lucas then dashes to the door to the Interview Room. He tries the door and finds it locked tight. There is a numeric keypad by the door. Lucas puts his shoulder down and tries to break through the door.

[[SPECIFIC check versus Lucas' Strength to try to do some damage to the door's lock. Results:
Strength ability: 60 - 20 (heavily reinforced door) = 40; rolled 87 (FAILED) ]]

Lucas thuds into the door with no effect.

"...remember me..." the ghost whispers to Baxter as it drags one of its needle-fingers across his cheek, drawing blood. It seems more of a command than a question.

"SEVEN! YOU'RE SEVEN! YOU'RE THE SEVENTH ONE!" Baxter screams. The ghost pouts, seemingly disappointed with the answer. It uses its finger to carve two lines into Baxter's forehead as he cries out in pain. It's the number 7...

Jack runs to the window, "Seven! You are no longer forgotten, but we can't help if you kill Baxter! We need him to lead us to your grave; don't you want peace?"

[[SPECIFIC check versus Jack's Personality to see if the 'spirit' responds. Penalty still in play. Results:
Personality ability: 56 - 30 (penalty) = 26; rolled 47 (FAILED) ]]

The ghost takes a step away from Baxter, but it doesn't pay attention to Jack. It changes shape until it no longer looks like the murdered guard. The spirit now looks like a young woman, mid-20s, blonde hair and glasses. The spirit's hair and clothes hang from it wetly, as if it were drenched in water. Its forearm and hand shifts and morphs into something resembling a long sword blade. It motions at Baxter with the point.

"...my name is not seven..." it whispers. It turns to the window to address the horrified audience on the other side. "...you will all pay for failing me when i needed you..." It raises the "sword blade"...

Webb grabs Chief Perry and pulls him into the room. Perry's eyes remain transfixed in shock and disbelief at the carnage in the other room. Webb speaks as calmly and authoritatively as he can manage: "Chief, this may be hard to believe but that is the ghost of one of Baxter’s victims – a girl whose body hadn’t been discovered. You’ll need to check missing persons reports; but first, can you get Baxter out of their before she kills him?"

[[SPECIFIC check versus Webb's Personality to see if you can get through to him in spite of Perry's shock. Results:
Personality ability: 46 - 20 (NPC in shock) = 26 - Rolled 18 - Margin of success 8
Action Table results: 8 "Attack Margin" cross-indexed with Column 2 "Ability Checks" = MK result (MODERATE SUCCESS) ]]

Perry turns to Webb, closes his agape mouth, and nods once in understanding. He turns to Lucas. "8 - 1 - 0," he says as he dashes from the room.

The spirit lashes out at Baxter and his screaming is cut abruptly short as his head now tumbles to the floor. The shoulders and chest of his orange jumpsuit turn a bright shade of crimson as the blood soaks the material. The girl's spirit stares unblinkingly at you.

Lucas punches the code into the keypad, and the door unlocks.

We're still in a round-to-round combatish cycle, so describe where you'd like to "move" and what you want to do when you get there. What would you like to do?
sniderman

Postby funfungiguy » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:24 pm

Lucas runs in and attempts to wrestle the spirit while it's still in some physical form, with the hopes of pinning its obviously dangerous arms at its sides.
funfungiguy

Postby segeorge » Sun Feb 08, 2015 2:13 am

Webb

“Don’t...” Webb calls to Lucas, trying to stop him from entering the room.

Addressing the spirit: “You’ve avenged yourself on Baxter. Now, let us help you rest. You’ll be found, remembered...and mourned.”
segeorge

PreviousNext

Return to Forget-Me-Not