"Monsters Macabre" now available for purchase!

For discussion of the new official Pacesetter horror game!

Re: "Monsters Macabre": Kickstart the new Cryptworld supplem

Postby segeorge » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:51 pm

[This should be completely spoiler-free; but if any of it is out of line, I apologize and will understand if it’s deleted. But I’m too excited about this supplement not to gush a little!!]

I really like the Kickstarter draft of Monsters Macabre (cool title, by the way), and I’m really looking forward to the final, illustrated version. Hopefully there will be enough raised to draw all of these creepy creatures and menacing monstrosities. Some are easier than others to visualize, but it would be great to have “official” versions of how they look.

The inclusion of a section on playing Things was unexpected. Then, seeing that that was included, I expected something like the old Creature Feature (I never did get to play that). I think the introduction to that section and the “light touch” that was used in presenting the parameters of playing Monster PCs should appeal to everyone. And I think it’s much better and less restrictive than the original Creature Feature (although some of those ideas could easily be imported). I had been toying with some homebrew guidelines for playing Monsters, so I guess I can hit “delete” on that! Fortunately, I hadn’t gotten too far, and some of it might still be useful if I ever run a “Creatures from the Cryptworld” adventure.

The variable damage section should be welcomed by quite a few people. I remember initially questioning the logic behind not having specific damage based on weapons, but quickly came to see it as valid – someone unskilled with a .45 might graze a monster’s arm, while someone who is a Master with a slingshot can embed a silver dollar into a werewolf’s forehead from 50 feet away! Still, it’s great having these optional rules.

The inclusion of sections for developing Things and randomly generating Organizations should be very useful, as well. I’ve only glanced at the included adventure, but it looks like fun.

Anyway – thanks for putting this sensational supplement. The draft was an excellent idea for a Kickstarter perk. Good luck getting it illustrated.

And here’s hoping for more… (when you have the time!).

Scott
(Now I better go; I have a wraith to contend with on another board…)
segeorge

Postby Goblinoid Games » Mon Jun 01, 2015 9:22 pm

Thanks Scott! I'm glad you like the draft. Please spread the word!

The section about how to play monsters was tough because I agree it was pretty restricted in Creature Feature, but I'm glad that my approach is well received.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby narpet » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:06 am

I'm there... ;)
narpet

Postby segeorge » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:00 am

For anyone who might be on the fence about this supplement, a free 15 page sample is available at RPG Now (http://www.rpgnow.com/product/150247/Mo ... er-Preview). This seems like a good promotion. It offers a pretty nice overview of the supplement, including several pages of the new Things that does a pretty good job representing the wide diversity of creatures offered within this terrifying tome. So if you're undecided, give this freeby a try.

Scott
segeorge

Postby daddystabz » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:13 pm

When can I buy this?
daddystabz

Postby sniderman » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:28 pm

daddystabz wrote:When can I buy this?

Plan on October for general release.
sniderman

Postby Goblinoid Games » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:54 pm

As Tim said, early October or late September for general release, late Sept. for Kickstarter backers. Now it is all a matter of how fast the files are approved at the printer and I can get proofs in my hand to make sure it all looks good.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby DavetheLost » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:28 pm

I just got my download for the KS of Monsters Macabre. Perfect timing as I am thinking about a CW game for Halloween.
DavetheLost

Postby sniderman » Sun Sep 20, 2015 4:49 pm

Just yesterday, "Monsters Macabre" was released to Kickstarter backers, and everyone is enjoying the electronic versions while waiting for their printed books to arrive. I never imagined how awesome the end result would be when we began asking for submissions to a new Cryptworld supplement in February 2014.

I wanted to take a moment and thank everyone who made this project possible: the contributors whose nightmarish fiends lurk throughout the pages; the backers who supported this project and cheered it on to the finish line; the amazing artists who lent their talents to make the THINGs leap off the page; and -- of course -- Dan Proctor who brought Cryptworld to life and who spearheaded this project. The end product is an amazing supplement that will find a lot of use in future Cryptworld games. Thanks everyone!
sniderman

Postby segeorge » Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:09 am

Thank you (and, of course, Dan) for the opportunity! Discovering that Cryptworld had been released caused a flood of ideas (along with a wave of nostalgia) – I was thrilled to have a place to share them. And having absolutely no artistic ability, it’s been great to see many of them visually represented. So I’d like to add my thanks to Mark Allen and Brian “Glad” Thomas – the addition of the visual elements really bring these Things to life!

Wonderful dedication to Jeff Rice, by the way.

Oh, and the addition of the Thing Character sheet, Thing Background sheet, and the Public Alarm Tracking sheet round out the supplement very nicely.

You put together a fantastic supplement, Tim! I definitely can’t wait for the printed version to arrive.

Scott
segeorge

PreviousNext

Return to CRYPTWORLD