More Armor Options for MF

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

More Armor Options for MF

Postby Malcadon » Sat Oct 26, 2013 3:44 pm

I was working on the MF Wiki, when I thought about adding some of the primitive armor form Gamma World (like plate fiber and piece metal armor) to the game, but then I added more to it. Besides adding the old GW armor to it, also merged a number of the D&D-type armor together, so "Brigandine" covers metal bits on a cloth or leather backing, while "Plated Mail Armor" (not actual Platemail Armor) covers metal bits on a chainmail backing. This was to simplify the armor table. I also added bucklers & tower shields to spice-up the game.

I have to say, when I first got into 1st Ed Gamma World, I had no idea what the hell "plate fiber armor" was. For all I could tell, it was armor made of leaves or bark or something! Then over a decade later, I found out about the coconut-fiber armor used is the South Pacific Islanders. All that time of wondering, and it was just armor made of &%$#ing rope fibers! Don't get me wrong, I'm not at all disappointed (actually, I'm quite impressed by such a thing, especially with the badass shark-tooth gantlets and a spiky puffer-fish helmet), but it would have been nice to have some description of that from the beginning!

I hope you guys enjoy the links.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Re: More Armor Options for MF

Postby DavetheLost » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:56 pm

The Iroquois made armour out of wooden slats, a bit like wearing a xylophone on your chest. I love seeing lots of creatively weird armour types in Post Apocalypse games. Plant fibre armour was always one of my favourites.
DavetheLost

Re: More Armor Options for MF

Postby Malcadon » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:28 am

I have been thinking about mutant byproducts from the MF bestiary akin to a similar list form 1st edition Metamorphosis Alpha. That is, mutants with tough or rock-hard can be crafted into armor, and skin with some sort of resistance to effects like fire, lasers or radiation could provide some sort of resistance to the wearer (I'm still thinking about the bast way to apply that). The MA list of Mutant Substances was neat, as it also had glands/berries/etc. that provided temporary mutations to the eater. Such things were noted as rare and powerful substances that require experimentation just like artifacts.
Malcadon

Location: I'm at your game table, fuled by caffeine and madness!!!

Return to Mutant Future