Chill 1e?

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Re: Chill 1e?

Postby sniderman » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:07 pm

seneschal wrote:At some point, the game producers were "Otherworld Games," but whether they were geniuses or otherworldly, their efforts, alas, came to naught.

While doing research for something unrelated, my websearching took me to the Otherworld Games site. Mention of the Chill 3rd ed. is on there.

http://www.otherworlds.cx/

Although the Chill RPG site is down (and never to return), the creators did release the Chill Quickstart rules to the wild for playtesting/input purposes. You can't get it at their site any longer (the whole "site is down" thing), but the Chill 3rd edition quickstart rules are out there and available for download. Look for ChillQS.pdf.

In a word: The third edition would have been sweet.
sniderman

Postby sniderman » Thu Apr 26, 2012 9:48 am

Raising this thread from the dead. Located the playtest quick start for Chill Third Edition. Anyone who wants to see what the next edition would have been can grab it here:

http://tinyurl.com/chillthirded
sniderman

Postby seneschal » Fri May 25, 2012 4:26 pm

Thanks! I'd tried to download it from a previous link but got garbage. Your version I can read, but it saved as a HTML document rather than as a PDF.
seneschal

Postby Gilliadson » Fri May 25, 2012 6:39 pm

Worked for me... got it in pdf format
Gilliadson

Postby seneschal » Sat May 26, 2012 1:45 pm

Probably because I chose a "save as" option rather than "download." Now I've got it both ways.
seneschal

Postby Keps » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:57 am

I do think CHILL could be an economically sound investment. Cthulhu is big, if you visit their various sites you can glean the need for an alternate version of the genre. Would you like to know what that is? The name CHILL sparks interest alone. My kids are playing CHILL(1stEd.), their friends will be exposed to it as well. The second edition made the mistake of trying to copy Cthulhu instead of strengthening the differences. The Werewolf and Vampire interests peaked and now the Zombie interests peaked, and CHILL missed out on all that revenue.
Keps

Postby MattyHelms » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:48 pm

I think sorting out the rights would be worth the effort. Chill still has a loyal following that crosses over nicely with your fans.

Plus , someone getting the rights to do something with first edition Chill gets as all one step closer to a proper reissue of the Black Morn Manor board game.
MattyHelms

Postby Goblinoid Games » Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:54 pm

There's more than one interested party out there who would like to get the rights to CHILL. Whether the cost would be worth it is all academic though because what I've most recently heard is that the rights may be split between as many as three parties. At least two of those parties don't seem to be interested in selling, and the last one is not responsive to inquiries (at least thus far).

So the dilemma one would face is even if you could secure the rights in some form they wouldn't be exclusive, apparently. If I reprinted the Pacesetter CHILL, for example, someone else might be able to come along and release a 3rd edition with a new system. Talk about brand confusion!

Since I own Timemaster and Sandman, though, there is nothing stopping me (other than limited time) from releasing my own horror game. I think down the road that is the best option.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Keps » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:33 pm

Going your own route with the Horror genre sounds best. The name CHILL itself isn't the weight, but an established launching pad. Your name has enough weight of it's own for a successful launch in any genre. Good luck.
Keps

Postby Goblinoid Games » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:03 pm

One of the reasons I bought the Pacesetter brand was to keep the brand alive with the games, and new games, even if I can't buy the rest of the original product line.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Open Discussion