Skull Mountain: the Return

greyarea's Labyrinth Lord game

Moderator: greyarea

Re: Skull Mountain: the Return

Postby badams30 » Wed May 16, 2012 4:18 pm

Grimes - Fighter

Perhaps Furuk could go with Deiter, using his infravision to spot the bad guys, and Deiter can cast his spell. Grimes doesn't mind going, but if Furuk goes, it may help with the issues created by the lack of night vision.
badams30

Postby Spanningtree » Wed May 16, 2012 7:05 pm

Dieter - Mage

OCC: Deiter will go either way but I am not sure he can cast spells at what he cannot see (doubt it). Maybe someone with infravision sneaks across to determine the width of the chasm, we can assess spell ranges from that info. Just thinking out loud.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby connivingsumo » Wed May 16, 2012 11:49 pm

Spanningtree wrote:Dieter - Mage

OCC: Maybe someone with infravision sneaks across to determine the width of the chasm, we can assess spell ranges from that info. Just thinking out loud.

"Dandy dun offerd thaht!" :mrgreen:
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby greyarea » Wed May 16, 2012 11:51 pm

And as a dwarf, Dandy don't have Infravision. :mrgreen:
greyarea

Postby connivingsumo » Thu May 17, 2012 1:37 am

greyarea wrote:And as a dwarf, Dandy don't have Infravision. :mrgreen:

:lol: Don't ye confuse ol' Dandeh withuh Halflin!

ooc: "jus-fer-da-recerd!!" torn straight from the heart of LL, pg.10
Due to their habit of living underground in great mines,
dwarves have the ability to see in the dark with infravision up to 60 feet.
SUCCESSFUL "TRADES" with: tumblingdice x2, Blood axe, and Kipper! ~ thanks to all of you! :D

"Be the change you want to see in the world." ~Gandhi
“If more of us valued food and cheer above hoarded gold, it would be a much merrier world.” ~J.R.R. Tolkien
connivingsumo

Postby greyarea » Thu May 17, 2012 2:24 am

I sit corrected.
greyarea

Postby badams30 » Thu May 17, 2012 2:27 am

Uhhhh... I found somethin' in my rulebook that said halflings "due to being short, cool dudes" are able to see in the dark up to 2 miles. I think it was on page 653. That being the case, Grimes should be fine if he needs to go across.

You can trust me on this one... honest.
badams30

Postby greyarea » Thu May 17, 2012 4:03 pm

The bridge crossing

Dieter hands Einer his light source as he puts on the Elvish cloak. He dons the hood and disappears from view. He reaches out and grabs Dandy's arm, whispering, "Lead the way."

Dandy, the dwarf cleric, hefts his mighty hammer and sets off across the bridge. The others watch him fade from sight. Only the creaking of the ropes breaks the eerie silence. Soon, as they get further along, even the creaking stops as the ropes accommodate their load.

The darkness overcomes the two of them and the dwarf's eyes adjust to the lack of light, his Infravision making the bridge ahead of him ghostly grey in the absolute blackness of the cavern. The only light is the spike in the stalactite above and the light behind looking like tiny stars. Dieter's grip on Dandy's arm tightens as he relies on the dwarf to guide him. Each step is slow and deliberate. The two reach the nadir of the hanging bridge and start their slow trek upwards.

Dieter whispers to Dandy, "If my calculations are correct, that was about fifty to sixty feet we just traveled. The whole expanse must be around a hundred feet long."

The dwarf merely grunts softly in response. Stealth is key.

Another dozen yards or so and Dandy stops. He swears he saw something in the darkness ahead. He sees what Furuk described from the last scouting mission, what look like heads in the distance but bobbing in and out of view as if partly blocked by something -- columns or walls or what he can't tell from this distance.

(d20, 5, MISS) The two hear the ffftttt to their left. The telltale sound of an arrow cutting through the air. (d20, 14, MISS) A second later and there is a another sound and then a thunk as an arrow embeds itself in the wood of the bridge a few feet in front of you.

If your estimate is correct, then the baddies are a good forty feet ahead and under some kind of cover. Dandy can see the bridge terminate ahead and the heat of the villains as they loose arrows from cover. You've heard nothing from them so far, so if they are calling for help they aren't doing it loudly. Dieter is effectively blind but knows roughly where the enemy is.

Furuk, Einar, and Grimes wait impatiently on the other side of the bridge.

Actions?

OOC: I'm using for reference here my own experience in Mammoth Cave in Kentucky. At one point they stopped the long tour through the cave and turned out the lights. The silence was truly eerie and, amazingly, someone from a further tour group shone a light back at us and, although it was an LED flashlight (or torch, if you're all British and whatnot) that was supposed to work for a mile, it was like a pinprick of light to us, shining only 100' away. It seemed like the darkness just ate up the light. Wild stuff!
greyarea

Postby Spanningtree » Fri May 18, 2012 12:48 am

Dieter - Mage

If Dieter has a general idea of where they are he will attempt to cast sleep into the center of their midst. Let's see if we can put a few on the floor.

OCC: Spell deducted.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby badams30 » Fri May 18, 2012 12:55 am

Grimes - FIghter

Did Grimes and the others hear the whizzing arrows? If so, Grimes says quietly, but loud enough to be heard, "That's it! I'm going over there." And he starts to make his way across the bridge.
badams30

PreviousNext

Return to Skull Mountain