New D&D Movie on the SYFY channel tonight...

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

New D&D Movie on the SYFY channel tonight...

Postby ArcherSix » Sun Nov 25, 2012 1:28 am

It's probably going to stink, but I ain't doing anything else tonight sooooo....

I still have vivid memory of how bad the first one was. At least this one is on cable and I don't have to spend any money to see it(other than my cable subscription)
ArcherSix

Re: New D&D Movie on the SYFY channel tonight...

Postby Spanningtree » Sun Nov 25, 2012 5:50 am

I caught it tonight also. Meh... not impressed. The best part was the extended commercial for the new Hobbit flick.
Anall nathrack uthos bethos doss yell yenva. -Merlin
Spanningtree

Postby ArcherSix » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:24 am

Agreed....movie was sucky. You'd think with all the potential (Hasbro money, and built in fan base), they'd make a good, commercially sucessful movie.
ArcherSix

Postby greyarea » Mon Nov 26, 2012 1:04 am

The biggest issue, in my mind, is that DnD is a general world/campaign and not a "story". If they want to do a DnD movie, they would be best off adapting one of the better DnD novels (Salvatore, Weis, Hickman or someone like that) or getting one of those authors to write an original story for it.

Part of the problem is that the Hollywood-types (producers, writers, etc) think "it has dungeons and dragons in the title so we need to have a dungeon and dragons in it." They focus on the setting (which DnD is) rather on characters or a good story. That always makes for a poor movie. Sure, it might have "wasn't that cool" special effects but that's about it.
greyarea

Postby monk » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:27 am

I want them to do a movie version of Lost City! Drugged up degenerates is something that Hollywood does well.
Thurwin the Bibliophile, 1st level Fighter (Stonehell)

http://wizardsmutantslaserpistols.blogspot.com/
monk

Postby 3llense'g » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:16 am

It's so hard to write a D&D movie script. You sit down with your friends once a week for a few months, play for a few hours and write down everything that happens. Then you remove all the boring stuff and presto. Authentic as it gets. Unless your DM sucks. :)
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Postby ArcherSix » Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:41 am

Right on 3llense'g! I've played in some campaigns that would make great movies.
ArcherSix

Postby greyarea » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:09 am

Kind of like The Gamers and The Gamers: Dorkness Rising?

The Gamers: Dorkness Rising is very enjoyable. The players are actually playing The Mask of Death (http://www.goodman-games.com/50205preview.html) which could be fun to PbP here. Hmmm.... :)
greyarea

Postby Mach Front » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:02 am

Speaking as a life-long major movie geek with a collection of over 2,000 flicks...
For better or worse I've never come across better "D&D" movies than Krull, Hawk the Slayer and Conan the Destroyer.

Saw about twenty seconds of Book of Vile Darkness and couldn't help but think that the folks involved had been hit about the face and neck repeatedly for little reason and that it effected them in an obviously negative way. )This coming from someone who loves movies and sees talent in such that most dismiss as 'bad' or nothing more than exploitation.
Mach Front

Postby 3llense'g » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:51 am

Oh man, Conan 2! It's so bad, but it's so good! I especially love the wizards' duel at the secret door. Plus it didn't give me a headache, like Conan 3D. :P

I've only heard about Krull; is that the one where the ultimate weapon does nothing to defeat the main villain? :D

I should get my hands on this movie, because apparently it has the same director as D&D 2 did, and I appreciated that one. :)
Vornheim & Searchers of the Unknown is all you need! Read my blog, Countersong!
3llense'g

Next

Return to Open Discussion