Rules Questions

Rules Questions

Postby mindshadow2k » Fri Jul 27, 2012 11:18 am

I posed this under another thread (comments), but not sure it is the appropriate place. Either that or the forums are extremely dead (which may very well be the case) :).

mindshadow2k wrote:Having a quick read through tonight. I am having a hard time trying to figure out why anyone would pick to be an enlisted crew over an officer. The XP track is faster but the skills scale around the same in looking at the XP allotment so they will really always be lesser in everything compared to the officer track.

Am I missing something? Why would anyone decide to be crew over officer?
mindshadow2k

Re: Rules Questions

Postby Goblinoid Games » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:26 pm

Things are starting to wind down as we near the end of the funding campaign, so the board has been less busy. The advantage to enlisted men is most evident if you roll abilities that will never qualify you for an officer subclass. Technical officers are "Jacks of all trades" in their area, able to do most of everything in their branch, but not as well as an officer who specializes in it. Also, they advance much faster in level, but I see your point about skills. I'm thinking they should be bumped up 1 for the Primary skill, and I'm going to reevaluate the XP progression for both character types.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby mindshadow2k » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:19 pm

Thank's for the reply... I figured there was a little more to them then I was seeing, but yeah the skill progression seemed kind of odd to me that even though they lvl faster they really maintain the same level as the officers so the fact that they level faster is moot :).

Thanks for taking a look at it and evaluating it! I will hopefully get some more time to dig into the rules a little more over the weekend!
mindshadow2k

Postby RAD Colin » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:16 pm

In a way, having officers be more desirable to play is in-genre, especially when you consider the officer vs. enlisted ratio in Trek's main characters.
Radioactive Ape Designs - Award-Nominated Publisher of Atomic Highway and other fine games!
RAD Colin

Postby mindshadow2k » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:33 pm

RAD Colin wrote:In a way, having officers be more desirable to play is in-genre, especially when you consider the officer vs. enlisted ratio in Trek's main characters.

And I totally agree just if there is going to be space in the book allocated to enlisted I would hope that there would be a reason someone would want to play them at all :) (I personally would be all about the officers :) )
mindshadow2k

Return to Second Edition Playtest