Shatterworld Campaign Setting

This area is for people to discuss and/or advertise their blogs. Material for sale should be advertised in the Advertisements forum.

Shatterworld Campaign Setting

Postby Niccodaemus » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi folks!

This has been an exciting week for me. I've been planning on starting a new gaming campaign after the first of the year. To that end, I've created Shatterworld, my own campaign setting. Shatterworld is the end result of my gaming, DMing, and world building experience since the late 70's. I started on the setting two years ago, including what I thought was the best of my ideas and experiences over the years. This fall I started a blog for Shatterworld, and have included maps, politics, history, races, classes, monsters, and other tidbits about the setting.

My next obstacle was figuring out what system I was going to use for my game. I was inclined to use Pathfinder, as the last D&D system I used was 3.5. However, it has been almost a decade since I last gamed, and looking over the rules from my DM's guide as well as Pathfinder, I found myself somewhat overwhelmed. I began to do research into OSR systems, and at first was a bit bewildered. But after reading a number of forums, asking some questions, and getting great answers, I finally decided to use Labyrinth Lord with the AEC as my fundamental game system.

I use house rules (who doesn't?), and I am using my own combat system which I developed for my AD&D game back in the 80's.

I offer the setting to the gaming community for your use. I will be continually updating the setting.

I'm also looking to get an online game going after the first of the year using Skype and Maptools, for anyone interested. I'm looking for a weekly game, on a Mon, Tue, Wed, or Thurs night, Eastern Standard Time, with a monthly weekend game.

I'm excited to have found Labyrinth Lord, and am confident it is the best fit for the game I want to run!

Shatterworld: Original Campaign Setting (maps, politics, classes, races, monsters, etc... all fluff, no crunch)
http://shatterworldrpg.blogspot.com/

Shatterworld: Behind the Scenes (rules, gaming philosophy, discussions, etc...)
http://shatterworldbts.blogspot.com/
Last edited by Niccodaemus on Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Niccodaemus

Re: Shatterworld Campaign Setting

Postby knightvision » Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:21 pm

Thanks for choosing Labyrinth Lord - You'll find this is a great forum to make friends and get some great advice and information. :!:
Website/blog: Knightvisiongames.com
KVG produces Labyrinth Lord adventure modules. Check out the blog and Twitter feed to stay connected.
Twitter: @kvgames
knightvision

Postby Mark » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:12 am

Welcome to the forums, Nicco. Looks like an interesting world.
Mark

Postby Niccodaemus » Tue Nov 29, 2011 1:29 am

Mark wrote:Welcome to the forums, Nicco. Looks like an interesting world.

Thanks Mark. My goal, of all things, is to make it as "mundane" feeling as possible. At least on the surface, so when you go scratching around a little bit, the "fantasy" aspect stands out, sort of in a Lovecraftian kind of way. I like the idea that horror is just under the surface, and most monsters should be horrific. Snooping around arcane magic should not be without unpleasant surprises.

It isn't somewhere "on the borderlands", in a country ravaged by maurading orcs. It more or less resembles Europe from the late middle ages/renaissance. I imagine Alchemists to be prestigious members of society who can afford to have labs set up for experimentation, not unlike Cornelius Agrippa. They just happen to occasionally peer into the abyss. :)
Niccodaemus

Postby Niccodaemus » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:47 pm

I just added a short story and adventure hook to Shatterworld: Behind the Scenes

The story of Gnarleybones:

http://shatterworldbts.blogspot.com/2011/11/calabrian-tale-of-ancient-dead.html
Niccodaemus

Return to Bloggers