Missile ranges in the wilderness are absurd

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Missile ranges in the wilderness are absurd

Postby aspiringlich » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:48 pm

According to LL p. 45, missile weapon ranges in the wilderness are to be measured in yards instead of feet. So, for example, someone firing a crossbow can shoot up to 240 yards and take only a -1 penalty to hit. That's two and a half football fields! I doubt a crossbow bolt could even fly that far, much less actually hit a target. And that goes for pretty much all weapons. Who could throw a hand axe 30 yards with any degree of accuracy? So I think missile weapon ranges should always be calculated in feet, whether underground or outdoors.
Last edited by aspiringlich on Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aspiringlich

Re: Missile ranges in the wilderness are absurd

Postby bighara » Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:11 pm

I don't disagree the ranges get a bit wonky outside, though I understand the rationale (i.e. it's hard to arc or target shots in a dark, 10' wide underground corridor, etc.). A possible HR is to always use the "normal" (feet) ranges, but increase the penalties indoors. Maybe ±0 for Short range, -1 for Medium, and -2 for Long?
bighara

Postby Scott Anderson » Fri Mar 14, 2014 12:44 am

720 feet seems good for a heavy crossbow, distance-wise. I remember reading that crossbows could shoot 1000'.
Aiming one at a moving target in the wind at that range would be difficult, but certainly not impossible-- especially for someone whose adventuring buddies can whizz fireballs and raise the dead.
Scott Anderson

Postby petespahn » Fri Mar 14, 2014 4:54 pm

Without looking at the rule I assume they're allowing for arc of trajectory outside vs in a cramped dungeon. You can lob a football a lot farther than you can throw it on a frozen rope.
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby greyarea » Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:52 pm

And that's how longbows and other long-range artillery at the time worked anyway.
greyarea

Return to Labyrinth Lord