Magic-users and the quarterstaff

For discussion of all things Labyrinth Lord.

Magic-users and the quarterstaff

Postby elf23 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:13 am

I just noticed that the magic-user class description (in LL and the AEC) specifies "they are only able to use small weapons such as a dagger". No mention of staves. As far as I recall, magic-users were traditionally always allowed to use a staff as a weapon. Just wondering if this is an omission, or if it was deliberately left vague.
elf23

Re: Magic-users and the quarterstaff

Postby kipper » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:20 pm

This is a carryover from B/X and OD&D.

Page B10: "[Magic-Users] may only carry a daggar for a weapon." (Which is a carry over from OD&D Men and Magic page 6). However, in the Basic book (and Men & Magic) the Staff is not listed as a normal weapon at all, they are only magic items (which in the Basic set may only be used by Clerics, page B49; other magic staves useable by magic-users are in OD&D Monsters and Treasure). The Staff (two-handed) was introduced as a weapon in the Expert Set. Here it is stated that it may be used by Clerics (page X9) and that it does 1d4 damage if Variable Weapon Damage is used (X25), but no mention of Magic-Users. In the Expert set there are also some magical Staves which may be used by Magic-Users as weapons (X49), which are those from OD&D Monsters and Treasure.

I'm sure allowing Staves as weapons for Magic-Users would be a very common house rule, however.
Last edited by kipper on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
kipper

Postby greyarea » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:34 pm

I've known DMs who only allow magic users to use magical staffs and not as bludgeoning weapons, which appears to be BTB.

As a DM, I don't think I've ever had to rule on this. It seems that the players in my campaigns who play magic-users like daggers. :)
greyarea

Postby Blood axe » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:16 pm

Id certainly allow it.

A dagger is good , thrown or melee.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby DavetheLost » Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:19 pm

My first ever character was a wizard armed with a pair of daggers and a Sleep spell.
The wizard's staff is so iconic to me though that I don't think I ever questioned the ability of wizards to carry one and to use it as a weapon. Even though until Peter Jackson's LotR movies came out I can't recall ever seeing or reading about a wizard using a staff as a weapon except in RPGs.
DavetheLost

Postby elf23 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:50 pm

Ha I've been completely AD&Dised over the years then it seems! I just checked in the Mentzer Basic book, and it's the same there: dagger only for magic-users.

I actually really like this -- I'd never really liked the image of MUs twirling quarterstaves around. (Unleashing eldritch energies from a gnarly stick is another matter ;) )
elf23

Postby Blood axe » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:21 pm

elf23 wrote:Ha I've been completely AD&Dised over the years then it seems! I just checked in the Mentzer Basic book, and it's the same there: dagger only for magic-users.

I actually really like this -- I'd never really liked the image of MUs twirling quarterstaves around. (Unleashing eldritch energies from a gnarly stick is another matter ;) )

So MU twirl daggers? Gandalf & Saruman just wouldnt seem the same.

Isnt 1E , dagger, dart, staff? On another note, never understood the dart thing.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby Vile » Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:25 pm

Personally I don't worry about weapon restrictions for magic-users much - at low levels none of my players have ever been that keen to get into combat and die, and a higher levels they have better options. So, if one of them wants to bop the odd goblin with a quarterstaff, or even a sword or a crossbow - fine.

They'll probably miss anyway. :P
The BLUEHOLME™ Project
Vile

Postby petespahn » Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:39 pm

DavetheLost wrote:My first ever character was a wizard armed with a pair of daggers and a Sleep spell.
The wizard's staff is so iconic to me though that I don't think I ever questioned the ability of wizards to carry one and to use it as a weapon. Even though until Peter Jackson's LotR movies came out I can't recall ever seeing or reading about a wizard using a staff as a weapon except in RPGs.

Yes that's always been my feeling as well.
Small Niche Games
NEW: Tower of Boon Companions: A Swords & Wizardry WhiteBox adventure for 3rd-5th level characters.
Also check smallnichegames out on Google+
petespahn

Postby Dyson Logos » Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:54 pm

I switched to variable damage by class instead of variable damage by weapon, and allow everyone to wield whatever they want.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Next

Return to Labyrinth Lord