Some futher thoughts on skills in Mutant Future.

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

Some futher thoughts on skills in Mutant Future.

Postby Agrippa » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:48 am

I know I've brought up the topic of a skill system in Mutant Future before, but here me out. In my opinion one of the major problems with skill systems is progression. In many tabletop RPGs skills and skill ranks are purchased with points or slots. This is all well and good if you don't mind tracking the costs of each and every skill you want to add and embrace the bean counter within.

Of course many skill systems have varying costs for each skill, or worse yet, varying base skill costs plus paying base cost plus previous rank in skill points every rank. I'm looking at you Alternity. You know what you did! Then you get into the matter of D20 rules, where you might get enough skill points for the skills you want, and some times more than you know what to do with. Though usually you tend to just max out one or two skills you really want and assign the rest based on degree of usefulness to your PC and or whim.

So why not come up with a system where you automatically "max out" some of your favored skills and still advance a few others.

The Basic Rules

All PCs an notable NPCs have a number of skills equal to their Intelligence scores. Half of those skills (rounded down) advance at a slow rate of one rank per every four or two levels, depending on the campaign's power scale for skill usage. Two-thirds of your remaining skills improve at medium, that's one every two levels to one every three out of four levels, again depending campaign. Last, but not least, the remaining skill or skills advance at the fast rate of one rank every three out of four levels or one rank per level, as the campaign allows.
-----------------------------------
Now I understand that this won't exactly be to everyone's, or even to most people's liking, but I'm posting it here to see what you think about it. Maybe we can add some skills to the system.
Agrippa

Return to Mutant Future