Gaming and Home Schooling

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

Gaming and Home Schooling

Postby oldgamergeek » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:48 pm

Remember the game sets I gave at Christmas, as well as the ones for the cancer survivor kids? well there were some unintended consequences for that it seems one of the boys showed his Labyrinth Lord and Mutant Future to one of the Home schooler Moms she looked at it and said "Ooh look at this see all this math and the reading oh look this will promote creativity and team work skills, ooh can you come teach this to all our Home School Kids?" I know there are still attacks on gamers and games but We sure have come a long way since the 70's and 80's.
"Our community is like a Heavy Metal concert, full of life and passion. Theirs is like a therapy session needing someone to tell them what to do and how to be happy."
oldgamergeek

Re: Gaming and Home Schooling

Postby austrodavicus » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:07 pm

Fantastic news oldgamergeek, great to hear.

My gaming group is a family with several home-schooled children. The mum, who is the teacher, says she has seen a definite improvement in their maths and literacy skills since we started playing about five years ago.
austrodavicus

Postby Blood axe » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:42 pm

WOW! Great!!

I remember when I got my 1st D&D set for Christmas. The old red box! I was about 9 years old. My Mom looked at my Dad with horror and said-I thought we werent getting him that!! I saw bad things about that on the 700 Club.
My Dad said- Let me look at it.
He looked at it- and thought it was perfectly fine. Like the Lord of the Rings he commented.
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.
Blood axe

Postby oldgamergeek » Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:45 pm

We had our fist session today I pulled out Keep on the borderlands and away we went, had to pull out my AEC on boys Mom played with her brothers back in the 80s and she wanted to run a Half Orc character, two dads joined in and played fighters. I really need to finish my game room.
"Our community is like a Heavy Metal concert, full of life and passion. Theirs is like a therapy session needing someone to tell them what to do and how to be happy."
oldgamergeek

Postby bighara » Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:34 pm

We home school my 7 year old daughter and she has her own copy of LL (purple cover) and a 2nd level cleric. :) She plays an irregular KOTB game with her cousins where I DM.
bighara

Postby beedo » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:18 pm

We home school our kids as well; I run a pair of games, one for a bunch of dads and another for dads and kids. In the dads and kids game, we have two other home schoolers in the group as well.

Table-top gaming can be a good complement to home schooling, since everything is a teaching opportunity. For 8 and 9 year olds, it's good writing practice, math, problem solving and critical thinking, and some help with shyness (the bits of role-playing and being a character they have to do...) I also find that the home school kids get in plenty of reading and have incentives to read fantasy and adventure.
beedo

Return to Open Discussion