Rumors and Leads

badams30's Labyrinth Lord p=b-p game.

Moderator: badams30

Rumors and Leads

Postby badams30 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:17 am

Call for Adventurers in Phlan Owenden mentioned that there has been a general call for brave adventurers in the newly re-inhabited city of Plan, located on the Moonsea generally above the Dalelands. He cautions that it is very dangerous there, and the area is close to Zhentil Keep, the stronghold of the uber-evil Zhentarim - the baddest of the bad guys. He grimly notes that the call has been going out for several months now, and to his knowledge, no one has made a dent in the place.
badams30

Re: Rumors and Leads

Postby badams30 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:50 pm

Therman Morgan's Initial Offer:
"As I mentioned, we own much land. Too much to adequately observe and manage. Some of our holdings in the north haven't been worked or even patrolled in years." He pauses, looking about at each of you, then his smile vanishes and he he lowers his voice. "We have a piece of land in the foothills, north of here - about a 5 or 6 day ride. Most of our land is just that - land. But this piece has an old manor and some outbuildings to it. A local man approached us about using the property about two months ago, and we told him it was fine, so long as he gave us a report of what was on the property and how the manor was holding up. That young man, his younger brother and two other locals left to go to the manor for a week. After a couple of weeks we began to worry, and we finally sent out a band of 8 townsfolk. Hearty men, farmers, true, but all capable of defending themselves, and knowing the terrain." He casts a pained, grave glance at you all and says "we haven't heard a thing from any of them, either. We've asked the garrison if they could send a squad, but they told us they can't spare the men, and besides - it's outside their jurisdiction. Edith and I don't give a hoot about the land, or all of our land. But these people are like family to us. I know it's getting along in the season, but I'd compensate you well to go investigate this, and find out what's happened to our people. Cost isn't really a concern to me, but I'll give each of you 250 gold to go up there, find out what you can, and hopefully bring our people home... one way or another. I'll buy you any equipment that you need within reason, and provide you some draft horses and winderness gear that you specify."

Melvin's Narrative on the Morgans Land:
"Can't say much about what the Morgans are dealing with. The manor hasn't been occupied in over 30 odd years. I haven't been up there for longer than that. That piece of property used to be a small settlement that grew up next to a copper mine in the hills. A small shanty town popped up, probably almost 100 years ago, with a church, store, and a bunch of old buildings. There was a terrible accident in the mine one day. Almost all the miners died, and after a series of odd accidents and diminishing returns, the mine was closed and the town just disappeared. A Wizard named Meldabar built the manor on the property probably 50, 60 years ago, and used it as his retreat. He trained some apprentices there, and when I was just a lad, I was a guest of his for a summer. I was too young to absorb much of the teaching, but that summer is what made me decide to become a wizard." He smiles a far off smile, then it fades, and he turns his attention back to you.
The manor wasn't opulent or spectacular, but it was pretty big in scope for being so far north. Meldabar lived there for many years, but as he started to get older, he quit taking apprentices, and his health was an issue. And then one day about 30 years ago, Meldabar died, and none of his family wanted to deal with the remoteness of the manor, so it was simply abandoned. The Morgans bought the entire tract of land from the descendants of Meldabar, and they've had it since then.
The old shanty town was barely visible when I was last there, so it's likely long gone by now. I haven't seen the manor, but some who've been by there say that at least on the outside, it's holding up well. The small shrine of Lathander has long been reduced to a pile of rocks, from what I hear. That's about all I know. I did hear from some prospectors about 10 years ago that the old copper mine has long since collapsed, and the town graveyard is the only area that hints at the town's former existance."
badams30

Postby badams30 » Thu Mar 27, 2014 5:26 pm

Mysterious Scroll Tube with Riddle Parchment (Obtained from old man James in Waterdeep)

The old man picks up the tube and with a grunt, twists the top off and slides a rolled piece of parchment out. He spreads it out on the table. It is an old, well perused document on a fine, sturdy piece of paper. In ornate script it has several lines of text.

The Warrior and Wizard of White Interred, the blade and book await heroes of good - inferred. The tomb lies in the Misty Wood, beneath the home where the two once stood. One of Torm must unlock the way, sacrifice and answers will win the day. Beware! The way of greed points to your end, a humble path is your friend. If the riddle’s answer you wish to yield, look no further than the Lion’s shield. Heed these clues, ye of light, and wield the tools of Torm’s might. But if your motives be not of good, you’ll find your death beneath Misty Wood.

As you peruse the document and the cryptic words sink in, James interrupts your concentration and says "Spencer and I always vowed to figure out what this meant, but time and distance have kept us from doing it. When we met last summer, we agreed to pass this on to someone worthy, someone who can appreciate it's meaning. I think you boys are those men." He glances at the parchment one last time, and he rolls it up carefully, replacing it in the tube and putting the stopper back in place. He holds gingerly for a moment, and then passes it to Marcus. "Here you go, lad. It's yours. Don't wait 50 years to act on it like I did. You'll regret it." He takes a long pull on his tankard and says, "you'll want to talk to Spencer. He was a bit smarter than I. He had been researching what this might mean for some time, and then life got in his way. He may have some clues for you. He runs the candle shop in Daggerford. His health has been failing these years, so it's better that you speak to him while you can." A sad look crosses his face and he says "Poor Spencer's body and mind are failing him. We said our goodbyes this past year, and I don't think I'll be seeing him again on this mortal plane."
badams30

Postby badams30 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:15 pm

Wolverine Chieftan Mangalore's Request for Aid

Mangalore nods his approval, and as you sit, he starts to speak - his booming voice accentuated by sweeping gestures; his charisma and presence capture your attention.

"The Wolverines have not always been small in number as we are today. Over 500 of your years have we been honorable and mighty men of the north, and at one time our tribe was spread across this area for hundreds of miles in 6 settlements, and numerous small farming villages. 300 years ago we were at our strongest, fresh from conquest of the rival Crow from the East. Our people were led by Viluisk the Mighty" (at these words, he bows slightly and pauses, and Klekt does the same, mumbling a quick benediction) and he continues: "Viluisk was a warrior without equal, and what he lacked in wisdom, he made up for in courage and tenacity. His feats of strength and bravery were matched only by the tales of debauchery and excess." He smiles for a moment, and says "He was far from perfect. His womanizing ways were well known, and he let his vanity get the better of him on many occasions. But he was a brave leader who led our people to the peak of our time, and he was idolized by all of the clan, and respected by his enemies. About 5 years after the defeat of the Crow, Viluisk was bitten by a spider, took ill and died. Many said it was a curse, others said it was simply bad luck. But he passed from this life, and the fortunes of our people have ebbed since."

Mangalore pauses for effect and says "His funeral was attended by tribes from across the realm, as it was. Allies and enemy alike attended, so great was the respect for Viliusk. He was burned on a pyre, and his ashes interred with his closest in a burial mound filled with treasure. My ancestors had little time to grieve, as within a month, one of the worst winters in history set in and killed a full third of our people. Between that, and other calamities, we have been reduced to a single settlement of much fewer. We are still the same brave men of old, but time seems to have consigned us to a fate of extinction." He shifts his gaze directly to you all and says "That's why we need your help."

He quickly continues: "Our people wish to regain our former glory. We are strong but peaceful, but these lands are ours, and wish to reclaim what is ours and grow to our former glory. A hunting party of ours was beset by goblins two months past, and were it not for the timely intervention of your fellow militiamen, a dozen of mine would be in the bellies of foul goblins. The Duke has kindly asked me to visit, and I realize that we share common goals - peace, strength, and the safety of law and order. I wish to restore my people to their rightful place in this land, and your Duke wishes to ally with us. He is an honest and good man, and I can sense you are of the same make. I am planning to build a shrine to Viliusk in our village. This isn't a matter of vanity, but we have found many of our old mounds looted by treasure hunters, and it is but a matter of time before Viliusk's barrow is desecrated similarly - unless we act now. I wish to obtain the ashes of the Great One from his tomb, and I'd like to ask you to do this for me." He looks across all of you and says "We cannot enter the sacred resting space of our ancestors. It is forbidden by the spirits. To do so is to invite a most horrible fate for the one who does so. But an outsider is not bound by such laws." He sighs and says with obvious heavy heart "We do not value riches as civilized man does. We value our tradition and sacred items. Gold, steel, and magic are useful in life, but once away from the mortal coil, it is just a vehicle to reach the afterlife."

He stops and says "So what I ask of you is this: Enter the tomb of Viliusk and bring me his sacred urn of ashes. You may keep what you find within, but I'd ask you to leave tribal items alone, so as not to upset the spirits of the dead. Any material riches found within are yours, and will pale in comparison to the service you are performing for our people."

He smiles and says "So, men of Daggerford... will you help us?"
badams30

Return to Forgotten Realms: Northlands of Adventure