FTL Communications

For discussion of the original 1978 rules and for the revised second edition that is entering development.

FTL Communications

Postby Saedor » Mon May 05, 2014 6:10 pm

Has anyone given any thought to how FLT communications would work? I didn't see anything in the rules about it.

In Star Trek, they have Subspace Radio. But as we all know from various episodes (TOS ones anyway), subspace radio transmissions still take time to get from the transmitter to the reciever. They are also subject to interference by natural phenomena and jamming. In some episodes, record bouys are referred to, which are dropped containing important data in the hops that they will be picked up at a future time.

So, taking all this into account, here's what I'm thinking....

Warp Transmissions
Transmissions can be sent at FTL speeds by ships and installations. The maximum speed for such transmissions is 15 light years per day. It costs 1 EU per ly per day at the moment of transmission. For example, a ship sending a mission update to Space Fleet HQ transmitting at a speed of 3ly per day would cost the ship 3 EUs.

Obviously, sending high-speed transmissions can be costly in energy, so maximum speed transmissions are usually reserved for starbases and larger ships. Another alternative that ship captains have is a message bouy. These can be loaded with information and dropped for free - no EU cost.

I haven't come up with specific rules yet about how warp transmissions are effected by natural phenomena and jamming yet.

What do you think?
Saedor

Re: FTL Communications

Postby gentleman john » Tue May 06, 2014 7:23 pm

Personally, I've always gone by two things when it comes to FTL communications.

First off, the Triangle Campaign for the old FASA STRPG relied on the speed of subspace communication to further some elements of the plot. They arbitrarily put a limit of Warp 15 on subspace communications, or 3375c for those who aren't up on the figures. This meant that it was possible for news to percolate through the Triangle within a month, which gave some time delay on news reaching the PCs and them being able to report in to base.

Secondly, when it comes to subspace communications, there can be all sorts of phenomena that slow down or prevent communications. These phenomena would also impede FTL travel. Being a referee, you put these in as the plot needs. So, if you want to have ion storms that are disrupting communications with base, then put them in as the plot demands.

Adapting these to S&S? If you want to be scientific about it, first of all work out how big your campaign area is. Then decide how long you want it to take for a message to get from one side of your campaign area to the other. That will set the speed of propagation for FTL. Ideally it should be faster than a vessel can travel the same distance, but there may be in-game reasons (and operational reasons) why this might not be the case. When it comes to interference, if there are known areas of permanent interference, mark them on your campaign map. Otherwise, put them in as matters demand. Just don't put them in without warning the players, or they may revolt ...

Now, to your specific application ... There's nothing wrong with the way you suggest doing things. Personally, I'd have the transmissions go at a constant speed, just alter the range that they reach depending on the power put in. If there is any interference, more power could be used to punch through it. Also, I'd limit the amount of time that a transmission could go on for. Message buoys would be something that I'd keep for emergency situations only - like leaving log entries in the event that your vessel is about to undergo catastrophic energetic disassembly.

You could always reduce energy costs by having relay stations for routine communications. However, these may be too modern for some group's tastes, and they may be misused and become an "internet of space".
gentleman john

Re: FTL Communications

Postby Saedor » Tue May 06, 2014 8:05 pm

Yeah, thats pretty much what I was thinking. I borrowed the Warp 15 speed from FASA Trek. I like your idea of having the speed remain constant and having range based on EU's spent, so I'll probably incorporate that.

As to interference, yeah it would be more of a plot device than a randomly determined thing. And message bouys would indeed be mainly for emergency situations, where the ship needs to conserve as much energy as possible. I would imagine that it would be standard procedure to drop one anytime the ship were in imminent danger of being destroyed.
Saedor

Return to Starships & Spacemen