New mutations and mutation rules.

For Discussion of all things Mutant Future (especially spidergoats).

New mutations and mutation rules.

Postby Agrippa » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:40 pm

One of the concepts I'd like to put out there for all of you is something I like to call mutation augments. Every three level a mutant PC gains choose a mutation to augment.

Physical Mutations

Immovable
You’re especially resistant to being moved by attacks. You gain a +4 bonus per MSmod against all attempts to push, rush, trip, or throw you, and reduce the distance you are knocked back by an attack.
Additionally, when you’re struck with a slam attack (i.e. unarmed attack such as punches or kicks), you suffer less damage while your attacker suffers more! For each MSmod of Immovable, 2d6 points of damage from the slam attack is shifted from you to your attacker, up to your enemy's attack damage. So a mutant with an MSmod of +4 in Immovable would shift up to 8d6 points of damage back to his attacker.
To gain the benefits of this mutation, you cannot move more than your normal speed in a round. If you move at accelerated speed, i.e. running, your Immovable MS is halved. If you move all out or at three times normal speed, you lose the benefit of Immovable for the round.
Unstoppable (Mutation Augment): Your speed has no effect on your immovability; you can move all out while retaining your full effect MS. You also subtract your Immovable MS from an opponent’s Immovable MS before determining its effect, including the damage from a slam attack, allowing you to slam Immovable opponents for more damage than usual. You cannot reduce an opponent’s effective Immovable MS below 0.

Increased Strength See Mutant Future or Mutant Omega
Super-Strength (Mutation Augment): You’re capable of lifting and carrying more than normal for your Strength score, maybe much more. Each rank of Super-Strength multiplies your weight allowences by yor MSmod+1. Your Super-Strength also gives you a +1 bonus per MSmod on Strength checks involving sustained application of strength or pressure, including grapple checks and breaking objects, but not melee or grappling damage.

Increased Balance: See Mutant Future or Mutant Omega
Wall Walking (Mutation Augment): You can walk or run up and down walls and other vertical surfaces at (MSmod/4) base land speed. Above MSmod +4 you can run up walls too.
Water Walking (Mutation Augment): You can move or stand on the surface of water, quicksand, and other liquids without sinking. Your speed is (MSmod/4) base land speed. Above MSmod +4 you can run on water too.

Insubstantial
You can assume a less solid form, with each Insubstantial MSmod becoming progressively less solid. You can switch between normal and an Insubstantial form at will once per round. This mutation may be use once per day per MSmod.
  • MSmod 1: You become fluid. You can flow or squeeze through any sort of opening, under (or around) doors, through keyholes and pipes, and so forth. You cannot pass through watertight seals. You can automatically flow out of any restraint—such as a snare or grapple—that is not watertight. You cannot flow out of a bubble completely enclosing you, for example, but anything less cannot hold you. You can exert your normal Strength and can still carry objects, although your manual dexterity may be limited (at the ML’s discretion).
  • MSmod 2: You become a cloud of gas or fine particles. You have no Strength in gaseous form, but you are immune to physical damage. Energy attacks still affect you normally, as do area effects. You can flow through any opening that is not airtight.
  • MSmod 3: You become coherent energy. You have no Strength, but you are immune to physical damage. Energy attacks (other than the energy making up your form) damage you normally. You can pass through solid objects, but energy resistant barriers, like heavy shielding or force fields, block your movement.
  • MSmod 4: You become incorporeal. You can pass through solid matter at your normal speed and you are unaffected by physical and energy attacks. You have no Strength and cannot affect the physical world. Your mental and sensory effects still work normally.

Draining Touch
The mutant in possession of this trait drain the life from an individual living foe when latching on to them. When attacking an enemy the mutant may make a Strength check to pin him or her. When engaged the mutant drains a number of hit points per round from his victim based on draining touch's MSmod; +1: 1d4, +2: 1d6, +3: 2d6, +4: 3d6 or +5: 4d6. Due to the rapid metabolism of the victim's blood or life force each point of damage inflicted heals heals one point of damage from the attacking mutant. Excess hit points go to a seperate blood/vitality pool equal to three times the mutant's Constitution score. This pool is reserved for boosting some of the mutants power and self healing.

Mental Mutations

Permeate
You can pass through solid objects as if they weren’t there at all with a movement rate of (MSmod/4) base speed. An MSmod of +5 grants you the ability to run through solid objects too. You cannot breathe while inside a solid object, so you need to hold your breath. You may also need an Enhanced Sense (such as X-Ray Vision) to see where you’re going.

Mental Barrier: See Mutant Future or Mutant Omega.
Iron Will (Mutation Augment): Your very being is resistant to hostile psychic influences, body and mind. As a result any psychic atttack made against you, whether mental or physical in nature must succeed a number of times equal to your Mental Barrier's MSmod. This would include attacks such as Mind Thrust but doesn't protect you from telekinetically hurled objects.
Last edited by Agrippa on Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Agrippa

Re: New mutations and mutation rules.

Postby Agrippa » Tue May 10, 2011 11:36 pm

So, no comments for a two-month old largely unnoticed thread? Come on, if you have ideas just post them up.
Agrippa

Postby Dyson Logos » Sat May 14, 2011 6:09 pm

The mutation augments are a great idea, but the implementation means that characters who rolled lucky for their Mutation Scores will also get more Augments. So if you suck you will continue to suck, and if you kick ass, you will now kick even more ass.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Agrippa » Sun May 15, 2011 8:26 pm

Dyson Logos wrote:The mutation augments are a great idea, but the implementation means that characters who rolled lucky for their Mutation Scores will also get more Augments. So if you suck you will continue to suck, and if you kick ass, you will now kick even more ass.

You're right about that one. How about giving some sort of means to improve a mutation's score. Maybe an extra d4 or d6 to a random mutation. Just add it to the advancement charts along with ability increases, extra attacks an bonuses to damage.
Agrippa

Postby Dyson Logos » Sun May 15, 2011 9:54 pm

When I first proposed the Mutation Scores last year, I included the following rule:

When a character with mutations gains a level, randomly determine one mutation from that character’s list of mutations and increase the mutation score by one.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Agrippa » Thu May 19, 2011 4:36 am

Dyson Logos wrote:When I first proposed the Mutation Scores last year, I included the following rule:

When a character with mutations gains a level, randomly determine one mutation from that character’s list of mutations and increase the mutation score by one.

Something like that could work.
Last edited by Agrippa on Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:12 am

I just added a new vampiric mutation. Maybe I should come out with one granting the mutant control over animals. That'll really give the vampire mutants there own "creatures of the night".
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:31 pm

While I'm leaving the mutation augment system intact, having augments be based off of percentile rolls might not be a good idea. Maybe have certain mutation's scores rise ever level or so and use mutioan scores as prerequistes for augments and have them paid for in "mutation points"? And have mass versions of mutations like greater force field be augments instead of their own mutations? Or am I going too far with this?
Last edited by Agrippa on Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Agrippa

Postby Agrippa » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:22 pm

I've already changed the mutant augment rules and modified one mutation and one mutation augment as well. I hope I fixed them some how.
Agrippa

Return to Mutant Future