Hellasian Demondroids & Star Trek Bord

For discussion of the original 1978 rules and for the revised second edition that is entering development.

Hellasian Demondroids & Star Trek Bord

Postby Jay_NOLA » Sun Jan 22, 2017 7:40 pm

I've been wondering about the Hellasian Demondroids which were in this old 1st edition S&S magazine article: Humanoid Variations for Starships & Spacemen, by Charles Elsden of the original S&S crew, White Dwarf #11, (Notes. Charles Elsden was one of the original play testers of S&S; his name is mentioned in the S&S rule book. Several new humanoid races, variations, and encounter/NPC ideas are in the article.)

A link was given in another thread post and you can find the issue online if you look for it.

The article says that they are super robots linked to a giant computer matrix and were created by an unknown madman. They attempt to capture all humanoid aliens and uses their brain cells to enlarge the function of their communal being.

They sound like a somewhat weaker version of Star Trek's Borg, but the article was written way before the Borg were ever introduced in to the Star Trek universe. They have ships that are the same as destroyers and they are treated as humanoids in battle armor that are heavily armed. They are the enemy of all humanoid races.

Anyone use them in a game or thinking of it?

Any thoughts on how the are a bit similar to Star Trek's Borg?

I do know that Melinda M. Snodgrass who was senior story editor of Next Generation does play RPGs and is close friends with several authors who are games when she was working on Star Trek: The Next Generation who may have been familiar with the original White Dwarf article .
Last edited by Jay_NOLA on Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jay_NOLA

Re: Hellasian Demondroids & Star Trek Bord

Postby az_gamer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:54 am

really interesting, thanks
az_gamer

Postby greyarea » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:16 pm

I've not used them in-game but it would be cool to stat them up
greyarea

Postby Jay_NOLA » Tue Jan 31, 2017 10:07 pm

I was thinking of trying to stat them and the other humanoids in the article.

What do you think the Intelligence on them ought to be? I was thinking Average or Genius.

They are smarter than the Borg in combat I suspect. The White Dwarf article says they do hit and run raids to acquire new humanoids.
The White Dwarf article for those who haven't read it had no stats in it.
Jay_NOLA

Return to Starships & Spacemen