RPGnow POD in the UK

For any discussion that does not fit any other category, or general announcements.

RPGnow POD in the UK

Postby Wulfgar22 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:34 am

So I just got an email from RPGnow saying they are now offering POD...and the shipping is a lot better than LULU to the UK! Hooray! I noticed that LL Revised is available but none of the other GG games...any plans to make the rest available?
Wulfgar22

Re: RPGnow POD in the UK

Postby Dyson Logos » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:12 pm

They are using Lightning Source, which isn't as good of a print run as a LuLu print job (that said, I believe for a while at least Lightning Source UK was doing the printing for LuLu for their European releases). Lightning Source is really designed for printing traditional novels, so black ink illos tend to be pretty washed out.
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Wulfgar22 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 7:10 pm

Well...I'll soon find out as I ordered The Majestic Wilderlands to try it out. I'll let you all know how it turns out.
Wulfgar22

Postby Goblinoid Games » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:46 am

Dyson Logos wrote:They are using Lightning Source, which isn't as good of a print run as a LuLu print job

AFAIK, Lightning Source also does the printing for Lulu (at least perfect bound, not sure about hard covers). Lulu doesn't print anything themselves, they're a middleman.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Goblinoid Games » Wed Dec 22, 2010 12:48 am

Wulfgar22 wrote:So I just got an email from RPGnow saying they are now offering POD...and the shipping is a lot better than LULU to the UK! Hooray! I noticed that LL Revised is available but none of the other GG games...any plans to make the rest available?

Will do, I just need to get around to making new print files since they have to be a little different than with Lulu for some reason. Then there is a delay while the print files are approved, a step that isn't there with Lulu (which is why some publishers end up with shoddy Lulu prints, because it is very much up to the publisher to get everything right).
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Dyson Logos » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:36 am

Goblinoid Games wrote:
Dyson Logos wrote:They are using Lightning Source, which isn't as good of a print run as a LuLu print job

AFAIK, Lightning Source also does the printing for Lulu (at least perfect bound, not sure about hard covers). Lulu doesn't print anything themselves, they're a middleman.

Interesting. My experiences dealing with LS directly (albeit years ago) were mostly negative while my experiences with LuLu have been a lot better.

That said, four years ago at least, LS UK's print quality and paper were significantly different than the stuff from LuLu in the US (which from the sound of things was LS US).
Dyson's Dodecahedron
an RPG blog with a butt-load of maps
Dyson Logos

Postby Goblinoid Games » Wed Dec 22, 2010 3:30 am

Dyson Logos wrote:
That said, four years ago at least, LS UK's print quality and paper were significantly different than the stuff from LuLu in the US (which from the sound of things was LS US).

yeah, i think that since Lulu contracts things out the printers are different in Europe and I've heard quality differs.
Goblinoid Games
Site Admin

Postby Wulfgar22 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:31 am

Well, I've been ordering both softcovers and hardcovers from Lulu for over a couple of years now and the quality has been fine...both in terms of printing as well as quality of paper, binding,etc. I have had a few books in that time that have had some sort of printing error (pages in wrong order, smudges, etc) but Lulu's customer service has always been fast and efficient and they have replaced the books straight away. My only gripe with Lulu is the cost of shipping which is why I'm so happy about RPGnow offering print as their shipping is much cheaper.
Wulfgar22

Postby bighara » Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:20 pm

Our hard copies of "Re-Energizers" was done via Lightning Source & RPGNow. It was kind of tricky dealing with them as they have very stringent template requirements. The print quality turned out OK though. As far as retrofitting existing FMG product files for the POD format, that will have to be a bit at a time.
bighara

Return to Open Discussion